Beiträge von T.Underhill

I am new to mergerfs and have made a pool with the LFS (least-free-space) policy.
    My reasoning behind it was that it made sense to keep as much of a specific kind of data on the same disk; for instance all the episodes of a tv series.
    It also makes it easier to find files when a directory/file tree is not equally distributed among all the drives of the pool.
    Also, using most-free-space (or an afterwards balanced mergerfs pool) would create a situation where it is unlikely for a disk to spin down, because it would more frequently be asked for data.

So my question: why would you balance the data among all the drives? What is the advantage?

I had this same problem. I did the steps in post 10 but first it didn't work. What is missing from those instructions is that you have to enable the mergerfs-wait-online.service after you have created it.

Something like:

Bash
    systemctl enable mergerfs-wait-online.service

if i remember correctly. This might be obvious to a lot of you, but for me, having no knowledge of Systemd this was the missing link.

@Revers62
    No, you don't have to make more than one "Shell-Script: / usr / bin / wait-for-mergerfs". I made only one, and it worked. I guess that when the script succeeds, it is safe to assume that all other folders can be mounted as well.

I DO still have a problem with NFS. The service is running, but the /exports/"shared folder" folders are empty! stopping and starting the NFS service using the OMV gui doesn't result in mounted NFS folders.
    Only when I removed one of the four configured folders, and recreated it, were all the folders correctly mounted at /exports/"shared folder".

What can I do to remedy this?

Strange but "fortunate" event last night. My wife spilled water on an electrical outlet en we had a short-out.
    When I switched the power back on, my ESXi server restarted and the NFS datastore connected successfully.

Maybe it just needed a reboot.
    For now I consider my issues solved.

Thanks for your help Aaron.

Didn't work entirely... The NFS share is created, but VMware ESXi 5.5 can't create the NFS datastore.

What version of NFS is OMV 3 running? Is it NFS version 4?

ESXi 5.5 seems to want NFS 3, see this error:
    "NFS mount 192.168.1.11:Datastore failed: The NFS server does not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP."

Any help is appreciated.

I used @ symbol in the foldername because the folder is a BTRFS subvolume. OMV1.19 didn't have any problem with this... Isn't that strange? Did NFS (plugin) change for OMV3 ?

update:
    I created a symlink of the folde called "@Media" to "Media". After that, I created a new shared folder called "Muziek" with path "Media/muziek". Then, I tried to create an NFS share of this new shared folder (which is using the symlink) an now the NFS share creation worked well!

Next, I will try to do this for a folder called @Datastore... Right now i'm missing this datastore on my ESXi server :-0

I created a clean OMV 3.0 VM. I mounted my BTRFS filesystem and this went fine. I can create shared folders and share those folders with samba.
    But... I can't create NFS shares! I get the following error:

On my 1.19 OMV installation these problems don't exist.
    Any ideas on how to fix this?

I can confirm that the build dependencies install a run-time dependency of btrfs-tools, because on the VM I used for compiling, there was no dependency issue when installing the btrfs tools.

I plan to do a new VM install (I messed up "tweaking" monit config files) so I'll be able to tell you later (today, i hope) what package was missing.

EDIT:
    The missing package is liblzo2-2

@stone49th
    I successfully installed the 4.4.1 kernel and btrfs tools using your scripts, thank you for this!

A couple of questions:

• I compiled the kernel on separate, fresh OMV 2.1 VM install. After that, I installed the kernel & headers and made it default. Then after rebooting to this kernel, I compiled the btrfs tools (so it compiles against the 4.4.1 headers). This was also succesfull. Then I copied the kernel/header/btrfs .deb packages to my fresh "production" OMV install. I do this, so i don't have the 700mb of compile data and extra packages needed for compiling on this production machine (VM). When installing the kernel, there is a message telling me something about a "missing symlink to source files; do i want to remove the symlink".
      Is it safe to let it remove it and ignore the message?
    • When installing the btrfs tools on this production VM, there is a dependency issue: a missing package. I forgot what it was exactly, but it resolved itself after "apt-get install -f".

Both of these issue didn't happen on the VM that I used to build these packages.
    Do you have any thoughts on this?

Impressive progress! I'm afraid I lack the experience you guys have. I tried to compile, but failed, among others because of lack of space on my VM (disc size was only 10 GB). I noticed that bc was missing as well.
    I downloaded a Ubuntu/Debian 4.2 kernel from here to try out, and i used the updated btrfs-tools as well. System booted at least and OMV seems to be running.
    But... I noticed the same behavior in regards to the repo-options (missing categories) in the omv-extras tab.

@stone49th, subzero79
    Would you be willing to make the kernels you compiled available to me (as a .deb packages, the image and header package i think?).

Thanks for the update.
    At his moment, I am compiling the 4.2 vanilla kernel using the .config from 3.19.3 (which was copied from 3.16 backports kernel from the OMC-Extras.org repo).
    Had to install a package called "bc" before this started working...
    My first try at compiling, so fingers crossed...

Hi,

I'm currently using OMV 1.19 Kralizec, running on kernel 3.19.3 (compiled by macester, a user on this forum). This is because I have 3 data disks which are in a BTRFS raid5 configuration. The 3.19.3 Kernel was needed for stable(-ish) raid56 support in btrfs.
    Since then, there has been further development on btrfs front and I would like to go to a newer kernel and btrfs-tools version.
    - Is it possible to upgrade to a new kernel (4.x) while on Debian 7, OMV 1.19?
    (I would be able to use an OMV 2.1 installation if that is necessary. Since I use OMV as a VM with raw device mapping for my data drives, it is easy enough to create a 2.1 install of OMV).
    - If not, is it possible compile one myself (any pointers as to how to go about that would be appreciated)?

Thanks in advance