Posts by watari

Hello

I recently upgraded from 1.19 to OMV 2.x and immediately noticed I got email notifications every time I logged into OMVs webui. I looked around and see no way to configure or turn off this notification. I also noticed it sends to the wrong email address which results in a delivery failure from gmail. It sends to admin@server.localdamin unlike the other system notifications.

I found one other post on this but, it had no replies with a solution.
    Mail notification each time I log into Web-GUI, how to switch off?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Awesome. Works perfectly. Thank You subzero79 for the help.

Hello, I need help getting my OMV server to be an accessible resource on two networks in my home which are a DSL gateway (modem/router combo) I'll call Network A and a tomato router connected to a cable modem I'll call Network B.

I installed a second NIC in my server today thinking it would be an easy job but soon realized it was beyond my knowledge of networking.

omv configuration for Network A is:
    eth0
    IP 192.168.1.102
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.254

omv configuration for Network B is:
    eth1

I learned that a system can't have more than one default gateway so I setup a static route for the computer(s) on Network B I wanted to be able to access omv's services.
    192.168.1.100 via 192.168.1.1 dev eth1

This allowed my desktop on Network B to successfully ping omv on Network A but, thats all. I couldn't access any of the services like the webui, samba shares, plex, etc.

The only thing I can guess is that none of the services are configured to bind to eth1. Is there an easy way to fix that without re-configuring all the services? Am I even going about this the right way? Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm posting this here because I'm not having a problem with the snapraid plugin itself but, getting it to automate using the job scheduler which is shipped with OVM.

Okay so the story is, I first tried using the snapraid-runner script when I first setup my ovm server, but it would execute multiple times and flood my email with errors for some reason, so I disabled the job and ran it manually for months. Then, I got the idea to setup jobs to run snapraid (diff, scrub, sync) directly and with the email forwarder enabled.

When the job for snapraid diff ran it flooded my inbox with 50+ emails (one every minute) with the results from the command. After that I disabled all the jobs. If I run them manually via the web interface it works as expected.

Any help getting this setup right would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still running Kralizec 1.19
    3.16 backports kernel
    snapraid 8.1-omv1

Yeah.. I don't think I want to fool with AUFS because of the opaque/whiteout files; that sounds like it would make a mess of things. But, from what I understand it's not suppose to make the whiteout files unless the permissions are read-only? That doesn't seem like it would be problem.

Hello

I'm having a problem with mhddfs crashing every few days or when under heavy load (ie. samba file transfers). I'll get a monit alert saying my pools filesystem does not exist. If I try to access the mount I get "transport endpoint is not connected". remounting corrects the condition, but I want to address the root of the problem if possible. I really like this setup with OMV but, this one problem is really annoying.

Google searches suggest this problem is not limited to OMV but, I haven't found a post or article that offers a good solution.

serverfault.com/questions/677352/mhddfs-randomly-breaks

The above link says there is a bug in mhddfs 0.1.39 and a workaround is to downgrade the package.

https://github.com/vdudouyt/mhddfs-nosegfault

This second link offers a version without the segfault bug. But I found no posts from anyone that uses this, so I'm not sure if it's safe.

I want advice before trying either of those possible solution to be on the safe side.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Info--
    OVM 1.19
    Running backports kernel 3.16

Code
    root@server:~# dmesg |grep mhddfs
    [115110.323967] mhddfs[4867]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000040443c sp 00007f3982bb49d0 error 4 in mhddfs[400000+a000]
    [258882.505660] mhddfs[25369]: segfault at 2 ip 000000000040443c sp 00007f8940bda9d0 error 4 in mhddfs[400000+a000]

If more information is needed, just ask.

I think I spoke too soon for the laptop harddrive. Right before I left for work the screen started filling with errors. Something like:

soft CPU Core #1 stuck for 22s (and I'm like what?)

listed the plexmediaserver (with pid)

Call Trace

and then it just spewed gibberish code endlessly until I reset it. I tried to look at in the logs but couldn't find it. (kern.log or syslog)
    ing
    I haven't got it to reproduce this booted off the Western Digital yet, but I'm still trying. I'm running plex scans over and over with mprime going as well.

I fail to see how a harddrive could cause these errors. Something must be really wrong with this build. I've built three computers previous and never have I had so much trouble.

Alright, so I installed omv on the drive Windows was running on and so far I haven't got any crashes when running scans in plex. It usually takes just 1 or 2 tries before it goes down but, I've done several.

So, this could mean my 160GB laptop hdd (bought used off ebay) is to blame for this mess..

Odd, you'd think hdd problems would flood the logs with errors or something.

I'm going to investigate further.

edit:
    I re-installed omv on the laptop drive and wiped my plexmediaserver directory. Hasn't crashed yet while scanning. So, I guess bad install? I'm running out of time and have to head to work soon. I'll mess with it some more later.

Well, I replaced the 430W with a 750W Rosewill and it still reboots when I rescan my plex libraries.

I don't understand.. I guess I should RMA the APU and Board?

In the meantime , I'm going to install OMV on a different drive and see what happens. Then, leave it idling in Windows over night to see if it does it.

Thanks for the replies.
    Alright, I left memtest running while I was at work. Got a total run-time of 24 hours. 14 passes no errors. So, pretty sure the ram is fine.

@ryecoaaron yes, but the 3.16 kernel made no difference. Still reboots unexpectedly .

@davidh2k I attached my syslog and kern.log. Just for giggles I booted with the 3.16 kernel, when it crashed it rebooted with the 3.2 kernel because I wasn't there to select different.

Looks like the system boots back up at Apr 14 00:01:42.

Files

• kern.log.txt

(178.56 kB, downloaded 291 times, last: )
    • syslog.1.txt

(190.31 kB, downloaded 345 times, last: )

Hello

I'm having trouble running OMV 1.9 AMD64 on my newly built server.

Out of no where, without warning it will reboot. It seems to happen the most when I have plex rescan my libraries. It will reboot multiple timings before having a chance to finish.
    Also noticed it when I tried to migrate files onto the system using Midnight Commander. However I didn't notice anything when copying large files over samba over and over.

I did happen to catch a message while it was idling at the login prompt. It didn't reboot or anything. It was:

299.816078 hardware error machine check event

I've tried (for hours):
    rearranging the ram (from a2 b2 to a1 b1)
    changing ram speed from 1866 to 1600 (they'll default to 1600 when the BIOS is reset)
    booting backports kernel
    disconnecting drives
    testing the system drive in seatools and wd data lifeguard. (short and long test came back clean)
    running memtest (still running, 17 passes no errors so far)
    tailing /var/log/mcelog (didn't see anything that caught my eye)

After none of that worked. I installed Windows 7 64bit. I ran Prime 95 off and on while I browsed the web and installed plex.
    I added some content and had plex rescan over and over (with and without Prime 95). It worked fine.
    It was probably booted in Windows for about 2 or 3 hours and never gave me any problems.

So, what should I do? I'd really like to run OMV but it won't stay running.
    Any help would be appreciated.

system specs:
    APU - AMD A10-5800K (not overclocking, stock cooler- fan set full speed)
    MB - ASRock FM2A99M PRO3+ (running latest BIOS v1.30)
    RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
    PSU - CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W
    NZXT Source 210 Case (5x 120mm fans. 2 front intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust)

harddrive drives:
    1 160GB ST9160314AS - system
    2 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    3 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    4 4TB WD4000FYYZ - data
    5 2TB HD203WI -data
    6 drive RMAed - data
    7 drive RMAed - snapraid parity
    8 4TB WD4000FYYZ - snapraid parity (where windows is currently installed)

(I haven't setup snapraid yet)