Posts by Eryan

The flashmemory plugin really protects you from the data logging that happens.

This....

That's what I was missing. In that case, I'll go forward with the ram upgrade. I am stuck with DDR2 (the system is old but fully functional), but managed to get a good deal for 4 GB. Once the sticks arrieve I'll roll back to the old configuration (with swap and flash memory plugin) and see what happens.

Just wanted to report back about my findings with my server. After changing the cronjobs to hibernate instead of suspend, disabling the flash memory plugin and re-enabling swap I stopped having the random freezes that I was getting. Seems to me then that the problem might be related to the lack of swap. I have some ram sticks laying around. I'll ramp up the server ram to 4 GB and return to the system to the old configuration (swap off, flash memory plugin and suspend) to see the problem comes back.

On a side note, hibernating the server instead of suspending translates in a few bucks less in the electricity bill. I think I'll stick to hibernation instead of suspension.

Who the hell throws away those kind of things? Dude, that thing in an overkill of a home server!!!! Don't you want to share the secret location of this "e-waste bin of happiness"? You, sir, have a lot of fun with the new toys. You just got an awesome set of parts.

PS: Get rid of the USB install, you just got 2 Intel SSDs. Hell, you can put them in Raid 0 and install OMV there just for the sake of it!

There you go! If you want to shut down, you have to use another command. Try enabling swap and running the cron job. Perhaps that solves your issue.

Have you try the work around method yet?
    wiki.debian.org/Hibernation/Hibernate_Without_Swap_Partition

Nope, didn't had the time yet. I want to see first if the problem I am having happens also with hibernation.

From the rtcwake documentation: "(off is) Not officially supported by ACPI, but usually working". off is not a real ACPI power state, and it depends on which motherboard/bios you have. Some support it, some don't. My computer, for example, does not support it. Using rtcwake off in my systems prompts me to use shutdown instead, because off is not supported by my motherboard/bios:

Code
    00 22 0 3 root .... rctwake -m disk - s 34000

This does not shut down the system, it makes it hibernate. You can't hibernate without having a swap partition. If you enable swap and run the command again, chances are that the problem will be gone.

If you want to shut down the computer using rtcwkake, you need to use:

Code
    rtcwake -m off -s 34000

What command are you using to shut your system down? So, the NIC hangs before the computer shuts down? Does it also happen if you manually shut down the server (or if you send poweroff thru CLI)?

@tinh_x7

I have to ask: have you explicitly configured your system to hibernate (suspend to disk) without having a swap partition? In my case, I had to re-enable the swap in order to be able to hibernate. I know that it is possible to achieve S4 without swap, but doing so requires another procedure. In your case the issue might be a hardware limitaion because AFAIK S5 (power off, rtcwake -m off) is not an official S-state and not all motherboards support it (in my case, for example). Are you sure that rtcwake shutdown works? From what I've tested in my rigs and from the rtcwake documentation, shutdown is not a recognized mode. Is the eth0 hanging upon shutdown only or also when going into S3 or S4 states?

@subzero79

The system is installed in a SSD and I installed the flash memory plugin to reduce the amount of writes to it. I doubt that the SSD is damaged, I checked the smart values and everything seems OK. As you recommended, I disabled the plug in and re-enabled the swap partition. I changed the suspension mode from S3 to S4 (hibernate) to see if that helps.

As tinh_x7 said, does enabling the swap defeats the purpose of the flash memory plugin?

@subzero79

I am ysing backports kernel (3.16 i think). Will try rolling back to the normal one.

@BitHoarder
    No, the interface is also deade. No plugin responds. SSH is down, nginx (therefore no web interface), Plex, Samba, Owncloud, etc. Nothing runs when the problem happens. The system wakes up from suspension (the computer is on an running) but the OS does not boot back.

I reenabled the swap and set the system to hibernate instead. Will see if the failure happens. After work i will check also de kernel and roll it back to the standard one.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

I notice the problem when I come back home and try to use Plex. Then I check other plugins and none work. I am guessing that the problem happens when the system goes online (or tries to) because the logs are not registering any system startup or wake up. The cronjob wakes the server at 4 pm everyday, but when the failure happens nothing is registered in the logs, leading me to think that the server wakes up but somehow OMV fails to boot.

I've not connected a monitor because I can't reproduce the error myself, it happens randomly. I know that none of OMV plugins or services run (everything from nginx to Plex stops working. All plugins are down). On top of that, the power button does not respond either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi forum!

It's been a while since I posted something, in part because my OMV has been working flawlessly. However, I am having some issues currently with rtcwake.

My server goes in S3 suspend mode daily via a cronjob using rtcwake, the reason being that I am out of home the whole day and keeping it running cost me 120€ of electricity a year. Shutting it down during the day cuts the running costs to ~30€/year. However, since I moved the OMV installation to a new rig I started having issues. The system will suspend as expected, but it will randomly fail to properly wake up. The system wakes up, but it does not boot back online. The system becomes completely unresponsive and I have to pull the plug of the server to hard-reset it.

The first thing I checked was the logs, but there is nothing in there. I can clearly see when the system goes into suspension, but there is nothing else after that. Therefore, I have some questions to try to narrow the problem:

1. I have only 2 GB of RAM and no SWAP (I am using an SSD as OS drive and have the flash memory plugin installed). The ram usage is usually around 30% and the OMV installation size is ~12,5 GB. Might it be that I have not enough ram to use suspension?

2. I moved the OS hard drive from my old rig to the new one. The problem was not present in the old one. The main difference is that in the old one I had a swap partition (I was not using the flash memory plugin). Then, might it be that the lack of swap might be the source of my problem?

Thanks for the help!

The port 0 is a 22 pin one, and it includes both data and power. Using the cable from the first link you can connect any 2.5'' drives there. All sata DOMs require a 5V supply, without it they cannot work. The second port (the blue sata port) requires a special cable and it gets power from a 2 pin connector on the motherboard.

I tried fitting a dribe between the fan from the hdd caddy and the motherboard, but it was simply too crowded and the chances of damaging something were high. If i were you, i would pit the msata with the adapter somewhere else in the case.

It is not necessary to do anything special to use the Sata DOM card on the slot 0. It is usually plug and play. I did not used that card because it is too smal, and you will easily run out of space. I managed to pack insode 2 2.5'' drives: a SSD on port 0 for the OS (with a data/power cable extension) and a normall HDD for data in sata port 1 with the HDD caddy. Check the first post of this thread, there are several pictures there of my setup.

It might depend also in where you are. For example, here in Germany, torrents are a no-go UNLESS you are willing to pay for a good VPN. If not, be ready to get a not-so-polite letter with a +1000€ fee. I used torrents with VPN but it didn't worth the hazzle. Since I got Amazon Prime and Netflix, my needs to download movies decreased exponentially.

However... I still download some stuff, mainly music albums that are difficult to find. For that I use Usenet (which is virtually impossible to track) with no VPN (I don't download a lot, therefore it does not worth it) and as subzero79, I also buy block packages. I use Newz Demon and they usually have good prices for the block plans.

If you are planning to download big amounts of data, you could take a look at the flat rate plans of Newz Demon. They have the advantage that they include VPN and encription.

In OMV you can set the HDDs to spin down after certain time. But whatever process that needs to access them (samba, plex, etc) will spin up the drives. That happens automatically. You can find those options under the "Physical disks" menu

I had a similar system before I got my OMV. Actually, mine might well be a re-branded version of yours (the similarities are way too obvious). Those systems are ARM based and do not hibernate. What they do is simply spin down the HDD, but the NAS runs constantly. When you try to access any of the services (FTP, media server, etc) the NAS simply spins up the HDD. The consumption of the CPU is marginal, and therefore it is left to run 24/7.

OMV can do exactly the same: leave your system run 24/7 and let the HDDs spin down after some inactivity time.

I am not familiar with the Synology systems, but I would check if what they do is spin down the HDDs or trully putting the whole system into suspension. If you are referring to the Synologys with ARM processors, I am almost sure that the NAS never suspends. It simply spins down the HDDs but the systems is always on because the power consumption is really really low. AFAIK, in order to wake up any system via LAN, you need some sort of magic packet. Accessing a Samba share is not enough to wake up a system.

There is the Auto Shut Down plug in in OMV that allows the system to shut down, hibernate or suspend based on time of inactivity, network traffic, hdd activity or CPU usage. It offers quite a bunch of options to configure it and will probably solve half of your problem. Search in the forum, there are several threads regarding that topic.

Other option is to use cronjobs with the rtcwake command (which is what I use). With this method you don't shut down your system based on activity, but at a specific time. In my case, I know that I am for many hours in the office, and during that time I don't need the server running. So, I configured a couple of cronjobs that keep the system suspended during several hours a day, and put the system online shortly before I get home. If the system is on for more than 1 hour without activity, I put the HDDs to sleep.

If you want to wake up the system when you access a Samba share or opening a web page, it is possible to make but not straightforward. You need another device that sends a magic packet to the server to wake it up. That device might be your router (you need something running Tomato or WRT which support this function), another computer, or something like a Raspberry Pi (some people in the forum use this approach to control when their servers go online). I tried that way, and in the end I found that the hassle didn't worth it.

However, if you ask me, the idea of having a server at home is availability. And if you are using low power hardware, having it 24/7 won't cost you a lot of money. If having 24/7 access to your files is your goal, keep the server on and simply make the drives spin down (some people will, however, recommend against it).