Posts by bobavault

    OK after adding the files subzero79 gave wifi is now recognised by the system.
    I added them in

    Code
    /lib/firmware/brcm/



    I am not using the new image especially made for the RPI 3.
    I used the one for a RPI 2 updat the distro and the firmware.



    After that i unsucessfully tried

    Code
    wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-brcm80211_20160110-1~bpo8+1_all.debdpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20160110-1~bpo8+1_all.deb
    dpkg -i firmware-brcm80211_20160110-1~bpo8+1_all.deb


    But it did'nt worked even after a reboot.



    Adding the file from http://dh2k.omv-extras.org/deb…Pi3_wifi_module%5d.tar.gz
    to lib/firmware/brcm/[ and rebooting gave me the following result :
    root@raspberrypi:~# ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:95:bc:d4
    inet addr:192.168.0.19 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:365 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:342 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:54637 (53.3 KiB) TX bytes:52861 (51.6 KiB)


    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)


    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:27:eb:c0:e9:81
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

    After redoing an apt-get update followed by an apt-get upgrade all i have is that :

    Code
    root@raspberrypi:/lib/firmware# ls
    ar3k ar9271.fw htc_9271.fw libertas_cs_helper.fw rt2661.bin rt3071.bin RTL8192SU sd8385_helper.bin sd8688_helper.bin
    ar7010_1_1.fw ath3k-1.fw lbtf_usb.bin mwl8k rt2860.bin rt3090.bin rtl_nic sd8686.bin usb8388.bin
    ar7010.fw brcm libertas rt2561.bin rt2870.bin rt73.bin rtlwifi sd8686_helper.bin
    ar9170.fw htc_7010.fw libertas_cs.fw rt2561s.bin rt3070.bin RTL8192E sd8385.bin sd8688.bin
    root@raspberrypi:/lib/firmware# cd brcm/
    root@raspberrypi:/lib/firmware/brcm# ls
    bcm43xx-0.fw brcmfmac43143.bin brcmfmac43241b0-sdio.bin brcmfmac4329-sdio.bin brcmfmac4334-sdio.bin brcmfmac43362-sdio.bin
    bcm43xx_hdr-0.fw brcmfmac43143-sdio.bin brcmfmac43241b4-sdio.bin brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin brcmfmac4335-sdio.bin brcmfmac4354-sdio.bin

    Should'nt the rpi-update already have uptdated to the latest firmware ?
    Maybe it's just that i did not set up the wifi.
    I thought i would show up without doing nothing.
    I'lll tinker that this week end and post the result here

    Actually i'm a bit dissapointed by the RPI 3 performances.
    Reseeding 2.6 TB surely went quickier than using a RPI 2.
    But I was also hoping in better performances with torrent downloading as i'm using a vpn and that both program are eating cpu time but no the results are almost the same.
    I thought also about using the wifi instead of the wire for network , leaving all the usb bandwith for the hdd, but the wifi chip is'nt recognised.
    I guess RPI 3 needs a bit of time to be fully supported.

    As the link says, if you execute (as root):
    <code class="inlineCode">omv-update</code>
    <code class="inlineCode">rpi-update</code>
    <code class="inlineCode">reboot</code>
    You should be able to run the image on an RPi3.


    Thanks
    Just tested it from a fresh install and it works.
    Just do'nt forget to setup the date correctly or rpi-update wo'nt work.