Posts by Kokos

Hi there,

I just want to ask for an advice, best practice information. I started to use multiple HTTP(S) servers within OMV installation:

- standard OMV Nginx (admin page etc)
    - docker container with Nginx for certificate updates (let's encrypt)
    - docker container with Nginx for Nextcloud

I want to add a simple wordpress blog, and possibly other functions in future.

I want to base on subdomains like blog.domain.com; cloud.domain.com and redirect traffic basing on subdomain content. But my Tomato router now simply forwards HTTP(S) calls to one certain server.

What would be recommended way to dispatch HTTP(S) traffic like that? Shall I reconfigure one of existing Ngnix-es to redirect basing on subdomain information or is there any better way?

Thanks!
    K

Hi there,

I got an encrypted partition and I use shared folders there for NFS sharing.

Simple scenario to describe a problem and a workaround I apply each time:

1. I reboot the server completely.
    2. Once it's online I need to unlock the encrypted partition from admin page, I do this without any issue.
    3. NFS access do not work for shared folders placed on encrypted partition.
    4. I need to make ANY change on ANY shared folder (even outside of encrypted partition) like for example temporarily adding/removing privileges.
    5. 'The configuration has been changed. You must apply the changes in order for them to take effect.' alert pops up and I click 'apply'.
    6. after above I can access NFS shares on encrypted partition without any issues.

It seems after unlocking the partition some OMV configuration needs to be reloaded to get NFS working for shared folders on encrypted partition.

Is there any chance to implement an improvement in the plug-in so it won't be necessary to perform such a workaround anymore?

Thank you so much!
    K

Hi again,

I also have an issue with newly installed clamav plugin. Once I try to access it's config page I get:

Failed to execute XPath query '//services/clamav'.

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '//services/clamav'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/clamav.inc(60): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.service.cl...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceClamAV->getSettings(NULL, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getSettings', NULL, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ClamAV', 'getSettings', NULL, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

Could you please let me know how possibly I could approach this?

Many thanks.
    Kokos

Hi there!

When I try to enable RPC function for Transmission I get following error:

rpc-password: The value 'openmediavault' doesn't match the pattern '/^[^'"\\]+$/'.

Is it a bug? I tried multiple combinations and I think it should pass this regex... Any ideas how to fix it or bypass?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Kokos

Hi Hoppel,

Thanks for your reply! I think OMV-extras-VDR normally implements e-tobi.net repository, but I assume that they don't have there more recent VDR because OMV 2.2.13 is still based on Wheezy so I'm not sure whether in normal case it's just deinstallation of OMV-VDR thingies.

I can see that your OMV is based on Jessie. Can you let me know how you achieved that and whether this is necessary to have more recent version of VDR without compiling it from sources?

Thank you and kind regards,
    Kokos

i compiled the latest vnsi for vdr that way

Tested on raspi and mac. both using xbmc. works great!

Hi guys!

We have some difficulties with compiling this plugin, could you please take a look at our issue? Than you so much!
    -> VDR vnsi-server-1.5.1

Kind regards,
    Kokos

Hi everybody,

I have exactly the same problem (but my OMV version is latest 2.2.13). I tried with both 2.03 and 2.2.0 sources.. Same result:
    ‘class cDummyReceiver’ has no member named ‘Device’

This is real problem as VDR versions for OMV are pretty ancient, server cannot understand higher versions of protocol used in latest versions of Kodi client.

These guys managed to update the plugin vdr: vnsi server 5 I wonder what version of the plugin their used, maybe something important changed in plugin sources and this is not compatible anymore with old components.

Kokos

That's OK. OMV provides some P2P tools, pgl would be good security-related supplementary for it.

As far as I know it uses iptables but rules can be isolated from the rest of configuration, same way it works for fail2ban. I think.. Maybe someone familiar with development should check.

K

Hi guys,

Sorry for late answer. I'm surprised you don't know this software, but it's OK. It should be well known rather for P2P communities. Basically it runs as a daemon and controls network communication (based on iptables), it forbids making connections for IPs existing on publicly maintaned blocklists. You can select them, merge them, update automatically, make exceptions..

It depends on the effect you would like to achieve, but for P2P purposes I don't think it's good idea to install it and configure on gateway as easily you can make important web services unavailable. It's rather recommended to run it on machine where P2P client is started.

I hope it helps to understand how it's designed. I know for example Transmission can use blocklist, but still this is very basic functionality and pgl allows much more and it can be used for other applications.

Thanks for looking into it, guys.

K

Hi,

I'm pretty sure most of us knows this. I think the only plugin I'm still missing is a omv-gui for PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). So this is my suggestion for another development in case you search for ideas.

PeerGuardian is a privacy oriented firewall application. It blocks connections to and from hosts specified in huge blocklists (thousands or millions of IP ranges). Its origin seeds in targeting aggressive IPs while you use P2P.

-> http://sourceforge.net/p/peerguardian/wiki/pgl-Main/

Thank you in advance!

K

Hi guys,

My setup requires manual credential entering because one of partitions is encrypted. After making encrypted partition accessible I mount it under OMV's "file systems", but this is not enough. I still need to make OVM to mount all the shared folders (/export/*). And this is a problem. I need to edit each shared folder, make any modification like put something in comment field, then after saving configuration is applied everything works just fine. Is there any smarter way to handle encrypted drives' resources mounting or any command to reload all mounting configuration once encrypted partition is accessible?

Or maybe I just need to write a script to mount each of /export/ elements? Or is there more convenient way?

K

For real? Is just that simple? I´m runing my nas in an old PC(HP Compaq) with just 3Bay for the HDD. Now that my system is optimal configure, I´m thinkign to move my system in to a "new" enviroment, a new case with more bays, new processor and motherboard. Just I was wondering how to do it, without make some crash. And I hope your recomendation works!

Ps: Do I have to make a OMV backup, just in case?

I can confirm it did the work just great for me. Thanks a lot, guys.

Hi guys,

I was running latest OMV 2.x on ASRock E350M1 and main-board suddenly died. I have ordered already ASRock Q1900-ITX as replacement.

Do I need or it is better to reinstall the system under new hardware or it is just ok to plug hard drives in and run the server? I can manage small fixes if required. I would like to avoid reinstallation because I have already shrunk system partition and made other important partition on same drive. I do not want to lose it during the reinstallation and as far as I know, OMV takes entire drive space by default (not sure why...).

Thank you for your suggestions.

Kind regards,
    Kokos