Posts by nielspauli

Thank you for your comments. I will take a look at the cron / scheduler and see where that gets me.

Seems like the majority of people are using the plugin to extend flash life and aren't worried about logs (includes me)

Well... Perhaps a better alternative to the Flashmemory plugin would be a simple option to disable logging?

As for folder2ram -syncall, it isn't the only option

This option is fine and simple enough for me to try for now. I don't intend to run it more than once a day (I'm not THAT concerned about log files either, but they are nice to have). This is a huge improvement compared to doing nothing, and brings the writes down to a level that is easily acceptable by any SSD.

Agreed. But unless the plugin developer is about to make that change soon, I'm going for the work-around.

Since I'm new to OMV, could you provide instructions on how to add the cron job and the syntax/command. Can it be done directly from the WebGUI?

Thank you.

I'm building an OMV server using an SSD as boot/system drive. The SSD is an SLC industrial drive so it should be able to take lots of writes (although the exact number is not specified). So to keep unnecessary writes to a minimum, obviously, I want to install the flashmemory plugin.

However, I'm having second thoughts. According to this post @ryecoaaron says that writes to the boot drive is only performed at shutdown. This concerns me, as I do not intend to shutdown/boot the server at regular intervals. Thus a power failure would cause all new log entries to be lost.

I would really like to have an option for a regular write to the system drive. I certainly do not think it defeats the purpose of the plugin. There is still a huge difference between 'constantly writing to the system drive' and 'writing e.g. once a day'

Is there any chance that such feature could be added to the plugin?
    Alternatively is there a work-around? E.g. some script which is executed once a day to make a save to the system drive?

OMG! This was WAY too easy! I just installed it! :thumbsup:

I attached a VGA monitor to the internal connector of the mediasmart server. Then attached USB mouse, keyboard and CD drive. I removed harddrive 2, 3 and 4 so only the primary was present. Then I booted from the OMV installation CD and installed it. After everything was up and running I added the three other harddrives. All drives was recognised and the network also works.

Hi,

I have an old HP mediasmart ex490 server, and I consider installing another OS.

My choise is currently down to Amahi or OMV.

Amahi should be straight forward. No problems reported in this thread:

http://www.howtogeek.com/63253…s-home-server-with-amahi/

I'm also considering OMV. However, this thread indicates some problems with the NIC of the mediasmart server:

Guide: Installed OpenMediaVault on my old HP EX470 Mediasmart Windows Home Server

Apparently Linux is not compatible with the NIC in the ex470. I don't want to use an external USB NIC, so this may be a show stopper for me. However, I don't know if the ex470 and ex490 use the same NIC, so I may not have the same problem as above.

Does anyone have experience with OMV on an HP mediasmart server, and can cast further light on this?

This is my first build with OMV, and I'm really pleased with the ease of setup and features. Great work!

However, I'm having poor SMB performance. There are several threads about this, and I have also read lots about tweaking SMB in various ways. But before venturing into unknown territory I'll post my observations here. Hopefully someone will aid with some tips to troubleshoot it further to find the root cause.

Build:

Axiomtek CAP800 Embedded PC with Atom D510 CPU and 2GByte RAM. All details here.
    OMV is installed without problems on a CF card from CD (ISO openmediavault_1.9_amd64.iso (363.9 MB) image from here)
    Both NICs detected ok (gigabit).
    Harddrive: SSD

I have then created an SMB share on the harddrive and copied a file to the folder from a Windows 7 machine. Transfer rate is only 14-16 MByte/s
    The same PC transfers much faster to my QNAP NAS. Here I get 45-48 MByte/s, which is probably the limit of the harddrive in the windows PC (old machine). All devices PC, QNAP and OMV is connected to the same switch/router.

Any tips on finding the bottleneck?

Thank you.