Posts by ala.frosty

My ZFS installation went to borked after an update when backports was not enabled on my system. It stayed borked when I enabled backports. I tried flipping back and forth and a variety of other things last night. Backports now off again. Today, I uninstalled openmediavault-zfs, then installed it again and, after rebooting, everything is back to working.

Whatever dependency changes were added, or dependency conflicts resolved, worked. Thank you.

I have no idea whether this will help or not. I attempted to update zfs-dkms and encountered an error "Bad return status for module build on Kernel: 5.4.98-1-pve"

That appears to be caused by 2.03 dkms, but 2.02 works

Where did you get 2.02? My zfs-dkms is at 0.7.12 !!!!

After all the messing about, I only have two options under "update Management -> Install from updates" which are "Pre-release" and "Community-maintained" .. backports is now AWOL.

Code
    ~# apt list zfs-dkms
    zfs-dkms/stable 0.7.12-2+deb10u2 all [residual-config]

As I suspected, your disk is 100GiB but your partition is still 50GB:

Code
    GPT PMBR size mismatch (104857599 != 209715199) will be corrected by w(rite).
    Disk /dev/sdb: 100 GiB, 107374182400 bytes, 209715200 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 39D43581-36CA-42A2-B921-3BCE200E8619
    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sdb1 2048 104857566 104855519 50G Linux filesystem

Refer back to my post #6. Use Parted to resize /dev/sdb1. Once you've followed that, return here and repost the "fdisk -l" result.

you want your new

Code
    resizepart end=209715200S

Because that's where fdisk reports the disk ends.

please refer back to my last post and include the df and fdisk -l info. It looks like the issue is with the drive and partition sizes, not with the resize.

It's weird that you used "parted", but that somehow translated to "fdisk" when you copied the output here.

if you follow the parted instructions I provided, you would not lose the UUID for the partition when you delete it in fdisk. Sorry if I didn't make it clear why you shouldn't use fdisk for this task.

# umount /dev/xvdc1
    # e2fsck -f /dev/xvdc1 << the current version in OMV4 is 1.44.4 (18-Aug-2018). Your mint version is from 2015.
    # df /dev/xvdc1
    # fdisk -l /dev/xvdc
    << verify that df reports the xvdc1 size as 50GB and fdisk reports the 100GB size - noting that df reports 1024b blocks and fdisk reports 512b sectors>>
    # resize2fs /dev/xvdc1
    # df /dev/xdc1

This is pretty reliable.

The gui can be unreliable if you're doing things at the command line. You'll have cached data on your browser and the nginx engine may potentiall cache some data as well.

I'm not familiar with mint. I use knoppix for a boot OS and it's been completely reliable for me.

Unfortunately, that's all css stuff (presentation), not content. Alas, there's nothing in there about how to set up and receive the rpc data within the ExtJS framework. There are other examples in the code set but it's all combined with the panes and I don't have whatever IDE people are using to pair the pane with the js.

I could use an extant css style that matched what I hard-coded, but when I looked though what was already there, I didn't see anything appropriate.

Right, so delete the VM where you made a hash of it and use the copy from before you made the decision to expanded the disk from 50GB to 100GB.

login as root or sudo to root. You haven't said which drive name is your second drive, so I'm going to call it "/dev/b88b" but you'll need to change that to whichever drive is your 50GB drive. To figure that out, you can use "lsblk"
    next, unmount the drive

Code
    # umount /dev/b88b

If that doesn't work it's because the drive is in use. I have no idea what you're using the drive for or how, so I'm not even going to try to enumerate the zillions of ways that might need to be done. Start with making sure it's not used by any of the services or docker and then remove it from the shared folders list. Beyond that you're on your own.

And you can follow along with the rest of the "(5) resize a partition" at Tecmint.

After you've resized the disk, I assume you'll want to resize the file system to the full extent of the drive partition.

Code
    # e2fsck -f /dev/b88b1
    # resize2fs /dev/b88b1
    # e2fsck -f /dev/b88b1

Right, so delete the VM where you made a hash of it and use the copy from before you made the to expanded the disk from 50GB to 100GB.

login as root or sudo to root. You haven't said which drive name is your second drive, so I'm going to call it "/dev/b88b" but you'll need to change that to whichever drive is your 50GB drive. To figure that out, you can use "lsblk"

And you can follow along with the rest of the "(5) resize a partition" at Tecmint.

edit file: /var/www/openmediavault/js/omv/workspace/Workspace.js

change line 100

Code
    "</div></div>"

TO:

Code
    "</div><br><p style='color:white;font-size:200%' align='center' >" + location.hostname + "</p></div>"

This copies the URL host name to the middle of the top line.

If I could figure out how to make an RPC call, I could get the server hostname from rpc.service = "Network" and method = "getGeneralSettings." There's probably a way to get ExtJS to do this as well, but I found the learning curve too steep for a Monday afternoon. Any help here would be appreciated.

When I did this sort of thing on bare metal, I used "parted" to "resizepart" and I'm pretty sure that the UUID was retained by the resized partition. Try that instead of gparted and see what you get.

Also, since you're using VMs, maybe copy the VM before trying this out, so if it makes a hash of things, you can delete the hashed job and try again.

Some poking around led me to believe that this is a problem with systemd that is resolved with a later version.

I don't know where the error was arising, but here's how I got a later version.

Update (15 hours later). I am still seeing the segfault upon gui login.

I tried a fresh install again. On the first go 'round the whole update process was broken and tanked the OS pretty completely. That might've been a user error or something because when I gave up and tried another fresh install, about an hour later, the install worked fine all the way through the VirtualBox install.

4.1.1 is in the repo to fix this now.

I think it's fair to say that this is properly fixed and appears to work, including the PhpVirtualBox login. Thank you very much for sticking with me, here, @ryecoaaron! Much appreciated.

See below. The installation fails due to "you have held broken packages." The only way I've successfully gotten around this is by reverting to the older kernel. And I have tried a LOT of things to get through it. I probably should've documented it all, but at the outset, I haven't had issues like this with OMV before, so I thought I could just resolve the dependencies and power-through. I was wrong!

Having done this install a whole bunch, I've seen that "httpredir" in the sources with all of the installs I've done. I always pick the "debian.org" selection at the top of the mirrors list.

Code
    # apt-cache policy virtualbox
    virtualbox:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 5.2.18-dfsg-2~bpo9+1
    Version table:
    5.2.18-dfsg-2~bpo9+1 500
    100 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports/contrib amd64 Packages

For this (attempted) build, I did everything from scratch: downloading OMV4.1, burning a new DVD, downloading OMV-extras and I didn't do anything other than "update-grub" before the updates and probably more reboots than needed. Other than that, I've stuck rigidly to the script.

Code
    # apt-cache policy openmediavault-virtualbox
    openmediavault-virtualbox:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 4.1
    Version table:
    4.1 500
    500 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis stretch/main amd64 Packages
    4.0 500
    500 https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis stretch/main amd64 Packages