Posts by daNick73

Hi

I noted that USB Backup plug in does not start automatically when I plug in the drive (I can see in HTOP no rsync starts).

When I manually start tasks for shared folders, I can see the rsync working, so it seems to work.

Any known error that may prevent the USB backup Plug-in from starting when the drive is attached? I assume the USB drive does not have to be mounted manually?

Thx!

daNick

Thx for the additional advice, but I guess I am at (or beyond) my technical limits here :)

So, I will watch whether what I have works as expected and maybe see how things develop.

Nevertheless: thx for helping me on this, much appreciated!

Thx @ness1602!!!

Your hint got me on track, it seems:

I boot 4.19 BPO now with the option

amdgpu.dc=0

That prevents me from using a screen attached to the NAS, but I can access the system now using web interface and SSH, so for the time being it is OK ( I run headless anyway).

With 4.19 BPO, VirtualBox works.

THX to all for advice, next time I may indeed consider using more legacy HW...

THX

nico

@ness1602

Thank you for looking into this.

The issue is that the screen just blanks after seconds... I cannot see what errors may come up.

It is like it totally crashes, I dont know how to identify at what stage exactly.

Any recommendation?
    I searched around a lot, but couldnt find it.

I could also experiment, if someone gives me hint / commands/ link how I may just install 4.18 BPO instead of 4.19.... if that was at all enough for Virtualbox. All combinations of search words I used got me deeper and deeper into Linux Kernel Developer mailing lists... where I definately dont belong :)

ADD: I noted that when the boot fails, there are a couple of dmesg-efi-....-enc.z fules in /sys/fs/pstore. Is it possible these may help to identify the issue?

ADD2: Attached the Kernel.log until where the boot effort ends

THX!

Nico

Hello

Disclaimer: I know this is not a general Debian forum and I truly spent the last hours (3-6am) searching for a solution and became a personal friend of Clonezilla. Issue is that my search terms are apparently so generic that I end up in “Linux hell”.

Aim:
    Run VirtualBox on OMV (it used to work on this machine, not sure what happened ...)

machine
    Athlon 200ge on b450 mb

situation
    OMV is freshly installed and configured
    All works as expected

issue:
    I installed OMV - Extras
    This added installation of latest BPO (to my understanding needed for VirtualBox) (4.19.)

Booting into the BPO Kernel,I see some lines from the boot process (screen attached to machine directly)

After some seconds, the screen goes blank and all stops
    OMV is not reachable via SSH

I cannot see on screen what the last lines are prior to crash

Booting into the stable kernel works, OMV is up

Any advice
    1. How I could identify the exact reason for the crash to search further?
    2. Or, even better, how to fix this?

Again, thx, I can assure you that using the forum is not intended to avoid work, but rather I am seriously stuck ... ;(

Regards

Nico

Hi All,

I somehow crashed my system over OMV configurations ...

Issue at hand:
    system crashes when trying to start the 4.19.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 options (see picture)
    ("crash" means the system switches to a blank screen when attached to a monitor, is not reachable via SSH or webinterface)

Kernel 4.9.0-8-amd64 boots in both options
    ("works" = webinterface and SSH are up, I can work with keyboard and monitor)

I need the backport in particular for VirtualBox.

Is there any easy way to fix things here?

Or do I essentially have to do a new install... which I get some routine in :)
    Boot.jpg

THX!

daNick

Hi @tkaiser

Coming back to this thread.

I did the suggested

Command line used: iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2

on my new WD Red 6 TB (no RAID).

Copying is slow and I am looking into issues.

Can you help to interpret if

Code
    Processor cache size set to 1024 kBytes.
    Processor cache line size set to 32 bytes.
    File stride size set to 17 * record size.
    random random bkwd record stride
    kB reclen write rewrite read reread read write read rewrite read fwrite frewrite fread freread
    102400 4 58512 71277 78700 76532 944 2681
    102400 16 71268 104658 134803 146002 3800 10897
    102400 512 119992 131178 149356 178384 60359 107270
    102400 1024 110612 127789 143063 178356 86468 110789
    102400 16384 111621 141307 158813 184863 138158 131632

indicates obvious (e.g. SATA or cable) errors?
    THX!Nico

Quick follow up:

I have OMV 4 up and running on

Gigabyte Arous M (mATX b450)
    Athlon 200GE
    M.2 NVME (beware: this reduces SATA ports from 6 to 4!

Without too much challenges (Debian install, OMV manually, I installed proprietary Realtek drivers, backports etc)

VirtualBox works BUT MAke sure to activate AMD-v / Virtualisation in BIOS!

I will still have to tweak speed (iperf seem fine, but Helio LAN only hits 70 MB/s), but it seems to run OK, idling :)

So, b450 w/ Athlon 200ge seems a possible Option.

Nico

@kekec888

1. Thank you for the script... it seems to do what is expected (it starts VMs, not sure where I would see if it REALLY saved the state (or just started newly):

2. Is there a chance to enhance the script a bit:

Your scrip starts ALL VMs, but I may want to have only some started, not all.
    Is that doable?
    If that helped, I could change the name of the VM to start (or include) the word "AUTOSTART" if that had

Thx again!

Nico

Hi

I want to set up my new DIY NAS soon.

System is a B450/ Athlon 200GE.

Bootmedium is a 240 GB M.2 NVME SSD.

I will do a Debian Stretch install and then manually install OMV 4.

I want to use OMV’s VirtualBox plug in and want to have the VM images on the faster SSD.

Request:

What is your recommendation for partitioning the 240 GB for use with OMV?

Thx for considering!

Regards

Nico

@tkaiser MANY MANY THANKS for the lightning fast response. I read here quite a bit and your dedication to help others is amazing!

1. On PSU (I already noted you do all to save the world from useless power consumption): any other recommendation for me to look into (just a product name would be sufficient, I can research myself)?
    Assumption: The platform may be used ultimately for a PC for my kids, so a PicoPSU that can impossible handle a separate GPU would not be ideal).

2. On compatibility: Since you seem to be an OMV guru: Are you aware of plans/discussions to go to anything beyond 4.9 or is 4.9 set for the (foreseeable) future? What does your crystal ball say? :)

THX!

Regards

Nico

Hallo,

Ich plane mein OMV neu aufzusetzen und will dabei von bisheriger HW (HP MicroServer N40L mit AMD Turion II Neo N40L Dual-Core) wechseln, um Reserven zu haben

Aufgaben/ Vorgaben

zentraler Fileserver für bis zu 5 PCs
    TimeMachine für 2 oder 3 MACs
    Windows Backups für 2 oder 3 PCs
    Plattform für IOT Anwendungen, insbesondere ioBroker (zZt separater Raspberry, würde ich gerne umziehen, geplant ist DOCKER)
    maximal 4 HDDs
    Gehäuse muss aus Platzgründen sehr kompakt sein (ggw geplant Cooler Master Elite 120)
    Anschluss über GigEthernet, WLAN wird nicht benutzt
    NICHT geplant: Transcoding von Mediendateien

Ich plane zur Zeit als HW Plattform:

- Athlon 200GE (boxed)
    - ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
    - 8 GB RAM
    - Cooler Master Elite 120
    - Netzteil: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 400W (wohl überdimensioniert, aber ich hätte gerne etwas Reserve, falls der Rechner doch mal zu den Kindern wandert und mit andere CPU und separater GPU etwas mehr Power braucht. Auch scheint es modular von be Quiet erst ab 400W zu geben und ich hätte gern ein aufgeräumtes Gehäuse, plane auch mit https://www.amazon.de/quiet-Po…S-ATA-720mm/dp/B00E7PA306, um Ordnung zu behalten ).

Fragen:

1. Kann das so passen, insbesondere im Hinblick auf DEBIAN/OMV Kompatibilität?
    2. Sollte die Leistung passen?
    3. Kann jemand ein anderes MB empfehlen? (limitierender Faktor in der Auswahl ist das mini-ITX Format)
    4. Irgendeine andere Meinung/ Empfehlung? ;)

Danke!

Gruß Nico

Hallo,

Ich versuche, eine AFP Freigabe zu löschen.

AFP läuft grundsätzlich, Freigabe sind über den Mac Finder zugreifbar.

Nach dem Drücken von "Anwenden" (Dialog: "Änderung anwenden) erhalte ich folgende Fehlermeldung:

Code
    Fehler #0: OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; monit monitor netatalk 2>&1' with exit code '1': Cannot create socket to [localhost]:2812 -- Connection refused in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:182 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/monit.inc(115): OMV\System\Process->execute() #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/monit.inc(82): OMV\System\Monit->action('monitor', false) #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/afp.inc(83): OMV\System\Monit->monitor() #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(194): OMVModuleAFP->startService() #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array) #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(565): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusj2...', '/tmp/bgoutputX4...') #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure)) #9 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(213): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array) #10 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array) #11 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #12 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array) #13 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1) #14 {main}

Hat jemand einen "Verdacht", wo ich weiter suchen kann?

Danke!

daNick

Hi

I set up Shares on OMV for AFP.

On my iMac (High Sierra) I edited /etc/auto_afp to have shares mounted automatically to /Volumes/(ShareNAME)

/../Volumes/Bilder-NAS -fstype=afp,rw afp://192.168.178.2:/Bilder-NAS
    /../Volumes/Music-NAS -fstype=afp,rw afp://192.168.178.2:/Music-NAS
    /../Volumes/Daten-NAS -fstype=afp,rw afp://192.168.178.2:/Daten-NAS
    /../Volumes/Software-NAS -fstype=afp,rw afp://192.168.178.2:/Software-NAS
    /../Volumes/Filme-NAS -fstype=afp,rw afp://192.168.178.2:/Filme-NAS

All shares have (to what I see) the same setting in OMV.

I can access all Shares via /Volumes/(ShareNAME), but on.

-bash: cd: Bilder-NAS/: No such file or directory

doing an "ls -l". I spotted all working shares have a "@" at the end of the permissions, just the problematic one (Bilder-NAS) does not.

dr-xr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1 2 Mai 09:46 Bilder-NAS
    dr-xr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 4920 1 Mai 16:33 Daten-NAS
    dr-xr-xr-x@ 1 rootwheel 330 2 Mai 09:32 Filme-NAS
    dr-xr-xr-x@ 1 rootwheel 364 1 Mai 16:33 Music-NAS

dr-xr-xr-x@ 1 rootwheel 602 1 Mai 16:33 Software-NAS

Any idea what I may have messed up?

THX!

REGARDS

NICO

Hi

I always used SMB, but updating to OMV 4, speed became a problem.

I now "found out" that one can use Apple Filing not only for Time Machine, but also for normal shares ... likely no surprise for many :)
    Until now, it is fast and reliable

My question:

Are there any disadvantage for using AFP over SMB (if only Apple devices are used in home network) that I should consider?

Thank you!

Regards

Nico

Hi

I decided to remove a drive from my Greyhole Pool (still on OMV2) (pool has 4 drives, reducing to 3)

To do that, I went to the Plug-in Settings, changed in "Pools" the status of the drive to "going".

I expected that I would now see load balancing and then get a message I can safely remove the drive.

Instead, the info for the drive changed instantly to:
    "NaN undefined"

The drive doesn't appear when I do

greyhole -s

on command line.

For obvious reasons, I want to avoid data loss ;(

Questions:

1. Is what I see the to be expected behaviour if Greyhole?
    2. Any chance to validate all data is indeed still there

Regards

Nico

Hi

Set up:
    Working OMV (1.19) with Greyhole, all working, OMV shares show correctly on my iMac.

All fine , thx for OMV :)

Now the issue:

I am backing up to USB with the backup plug in.
    Issue: The USB backup tool seems to access the physical device rather than the share, thus if the files are not on the specific HDD, the backup doesnt work.

To illustrate:

I started backup for a folder "movies"
    the folder contains all files, when access as SMB/CIF
    However, the backup tool starts, showing:

Please wait, syncing </media/XXXX1ae-ecfd-XXXX-XXXX-XXXcb24cdXXX/movies/> to </media/XXXX637a-b30c-XXXX-XXXX-XXX28658XXX/movies> ...

Second one is the USB drive (.....637a), but ....1ae is ONE drive of the GreyHole Pool.

However, that drive in the pool doesnt contain the files for "movie", so backup doesnt work.

Any idea how to have the backup tool access the share, not the physical drive?

THX in advance!

Nico