Posts by clooner

The issue seems to be that the dns server cannot be reached by my openmediavault system. I updated the /etc/resolv.conf to point to 8.8.8.8 and it is working now. To be clear the dns server works fine and is accessible from any other system. It is running as a docker container on the same server with a specific network configuration. That said why is the openmediavault interface dependent on having a dns resolver?

I recently re-installed omv as I was still on a very old version and had some problems with running virtualbox after the computer shut down gracefully. I installed the lastest version 5. Next to that I installed cockpit and everything seemed fine. Today I wanted to install a vm but was unable. To my surprise the open media vault webinterface is not working. In some cases I can pull up the login page but nothing more. This happens after a very long delay.

Logging in through ssh works but configuring anything network related using omv-firstaid ends up with the ERROR: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable. I can ping ip addresses but not domains. /etc/resolv.conf just has the ip address of my pi-hole dns server.

Any insights on what might be causing the issue. To be clear I can still access the cockpit interface which works just as before and also the several docker containers I am running work great.

My Nas is is giving me some problems after power went out. The system shut down gracefully as the ups did do its thing. That said when I started up again, my Virtualbox sevice would not start anymore. I am currently running 2.2.14 and would like to upgrade to the latest version 5.x and whatever the most stable version of this is.

Just confirming that the following things are still things as I use them a lot.

• Virtualbox service
    • Syncthing service
    • FTP service to store some camera streams

My plan is just to empty the current boot drive and do a fresh install of the lastest version and then mount/re-initialize the current storage drives 2 x 1tb drives and 2 x 5 tb drives. (The data should still be there right?) or should I just try and recover the virtualbox service?

Part 2

then there is more of the same...
    Error 514 [9] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 4964 hours (206 days + 20 hours)
    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

Thanks, I am running ext4 as file system

I just noticed some bad sectors on my offsite drive. This is the drive I am backing my data on to. I have this computer at my brothers place and I guess it was not turned off properly a couple of times. I am not sure how to proceed on mitigating this. Can I get the status back to no issues by marking the bad sectors, If so how do I do this? Or would you guys recommend replacing the drive entirely?
    Any suggestions are appreciated.

I noticed my cameras were not recording anymore. I am using hikvision cameras that need to have a disk quota set in order to be able to write to a nas. It was working fine when I set it up a long time ago.

When trying to apply the quota I am running into the errors below. I tried stopping all services that write to that disk SMB/CIFS, FTP, synchthing and then went more aggresive to disable all services but the error still persits. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; omv-mkconf quota 2>&1': quotacheck: Cannot remount filesystem mounted on /media/6b73871a-017e-454a-8232-1a65e980264a read-only so counted values might not be right. Please stop all programs writing to filesystem or use -m flag to force checking.

Code
    Error #4000: exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; omv-mkconf quota 2>&1': quotacheck: Cannot remount filesystem mounted on /media/6b73871a-017e-454a-8232-1a65e980264a read-only so counted values might not be right. Please stop all programs writing to filesystem or use -m flag to force checking.' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/quota.inc:42 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(180): OMVModuleQuota->applyConfig() #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array) #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array) #4 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array) #5 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array) #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array) #8 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1) #9 {main}

this is how I'm mounting the share in my virtual machine is my /etc/fstab
    //%openmediavaultip%/%username% /media/%username% cifs credentials=/home/%username%/.smbcredentials,gid=33,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

gid 33 is www-data

I'm probably going about this in the wrong way and I would like some suggestions on how to better approach this. I've tried putting the file and directory mode to 777 but this also not seems to be working (which I in any case do not want)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm accessing the share from a windows machine that writes and reads files to this, also the virtualmachine that writes and reads files from it. I can access the share from both the the ubuntu server and the windows machine. The problem is when apache (php) tries to write a file to the share, it fails because it does not have the permission.

I'm running a virtual server (ubuntu server) inside virtualbox and have a webserver running on the ubuntu server.

I want only to allow the ubuntu server to access the share and also only the specific user through the samba shared folder. I've got it all working but apache 2 on the virtual machine is running into trouble not being able to write to the shared folder.

this is how I'm mounting the share in my virtual machine is my /etc/fstab
    //%openmediavaultip%/%username% /media/%username% cifs credentials=/home/%username%/.smbcredentials,gid=33,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0

gid 33 is www-data

I'm probably going about this in the wrong way and I would like some suggestions on how to better approach this. I've tried putting the file and directory mode to 777 but this also not seems to be working (which I in any case do not want)

I've tried doing this through the virtualbox shared folder options but was running into issue with that as well. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I was also thinking about running with vSphere hypervisor but decided to go to the Virtualbox in OMV route. For me it is simple because I have no experience with vmware and my needs are also not that much. What are the downsides to running virtualbox instances in omv?

Thanks, I've installed the Syncthing plugin and it seems to work good.

This weekend I want to try and move away from the global discovery server by running my own. Any support for this planned?

I'm ready to get a syncing tool (as dropbox alternative) on my server running. I used to run btsync on a centos install but never really liked it. I've been reading about Owncloud but a lot of people on this forum don't seem to like it. Seafile is another alternative as is Syncthing. I don't really need a plugin just a good guide on how to install it on OMV.

In short: What is currently the preferred sync plugin for OpenMediaVault?