Posts by Carnajo

I had to do that when I changed servers and just moved the data storage, I have N54L and have been thinking about getting a USB 3.0 PCie card

What was odd here is that I didn't change the server at all, same on board LAN port. Anyway I got myself this card and through a brief test in the past couple of minutes works really well, transfer jumped from 27 MB/s to over 100 MB/s.

https://www.sunix.com/en/produ…d=1&kid=2&gid=11&pid=1808

AFAIK it should display the ip address.

Hi, yes I should have mentioned that it does show the IP address (which hadn't changed from the static one I had used before) but using the IP address as before, nor using //openmediavault/ would work.

That said, I managed to solve it, found another post about using omv -firstaid to change a password, went in there and found an entry to configure network, ran that and now it works again. I guess installing the USB card did... something which needed me to rerun network setup.

Hi, hoping someone can help me here (please treat me as noob).

Everything was running fine until I just installed a USB 3.0 PCIe card into my HP Microserver N40L. Now it posts and seems to boots up fine (monitor connected gets to login prompt) but I can't connect to the server (i.e. if I enter its IP address into my browser the web gui doesn't show nor can I ssh into it using windows powershell). It doesn't show up at all on my network. The router lights up on the respective LAN port. I don't see it on my routers DHCP list though when I check its web GUI.

Any help? This card was such a pain to install so really hope it's something simple or config. Let me know if I can get any logs to send, there was some error about IPMI or something but it went past too quick.

EDIT: Solved it. For future reference I ran omv -firstaid and chose to resetup network configuration and now all good again.

So in the meantime I thought I'd try installing latest version on to a USB drive (I was loathe to mess with my current installation in case I mess something up since I had installed greyhole and mysql etc.). Anyway, seems like it worked. Using newest version booting from USB drive I now get about 25 MB/s to the external drive write speed, which would be as expected given USB 2.0.

Also have a USB 3.0 PCIe card on order to try next.

Hi all,

Did a search for this issue and while there were similar threads most were due to different issues (network or samba or Pi builds). I've hooked up an external 8TB Seagate Backup Plus drive (USB 3) to my HP Microserver N40L that's running OMV that I setup a long time ago and didn't fiddle with because, well "If it works..."

Issue I have is that I get extremely slow write speeds to this external drive (around 5 to 7 MB/s) although read seems okay given the N40L is USB 2.0. I read somewhere about setting the usb ports to high-speed in the BIOS but I see no such setting. Writing to the internal drives is perfectly fine, I get 50 or more MB/s over my gigabit lan. I use a SMB share to copy across but even an internal copy from internal HDD to the USB HDD is extremely slow. All formatted as xfs.

Any suggestions or solutions? Treat me as a complete noob please, I managed to setup OMB way back when but I don't know much,.

My experiences with Win32DiskImager were less than satisfactory. I prefer to generate a daily backup image on an attached USB drive with a nice script (and a cron job). And I've repeatedly used those (zipped) images to restore my system after a failed update/upgrade.

Hi, sorry for piggybacking on to this thread but I came looking for a way to do just this, clone my installation drive onto a USB drive before i do a wipe and clean install but was worried that I might need to recover. Anyway... I'm a complete noob who setup OMV using some guides many years ago. Could you share how I can do a clone of my OS drive onto a USB. I've read about clonezilla and also something about a backup plugin but both assumed I create a folder on one of my data drives.

Any help would be appreciated!

Quote from "tekkbebe"

Carnajo, it's really nice. Say you have a media folder. It will not get full til all the disks are full. Greyhole moves the files to all disks, whichever has most room and balances between them, in the pool and just leaves the symlink in place of the original. You don't have to create new folders on other drives or make symlinks yourself to the newer movies or other media. Greyhole does it all for you.

Thanks, I understand it better now, I thought the pool itself would be a new share which linked to the other shares.
    Thanks for all the help guys, busy learning about debian while I am going about this, might try getting snapraid + greyhole to work together at some later point

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

You need to update your greyhole plugin (0.5.17 is the latest) if you don't see the "Enable Pool" checkbox on the Settings tab. When you check it, you can enter the samba share name.

My greyhole plugin is 0.5.4; but I don't think my question was clear, I was asking how to share the pool as opposed to individual shares, I thought there would be a new folder/share I would need to add to SMB and mount/map that in Windows but mapping my existing share, media1, did the trick and it appears as a large 10Gb drive (I have 4x3Gb drives) so to access the pool I just map one of the original shares, not create a new "greyhole" share. Is that correct?

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

There is a pool checkbox on the bottom of the Greyhole settings tab.

I don't see a pool checkbox on my setting tab. But I do see that each of my shares now show 10.9Gb in Windows, so I assume I just use any one of those and Greyhole manages the pooling "behind the scenes", i.e. there isn't a pooled folder to share I just use one of my original shares which now has access to everything?

Hi,

Thanks for the guide, I've followed all the steps and added my 4 drives to pool and then added my 4 SMB shares (named media1, media2, media3,media4 on each drive respectively).
    My question is now what? How do I set up a SMB share for the pool so that I can connect to it from Windows 7 and so that I can share the media to my Mede8er media player?

Thanks again guys.

I've finally gotten my shares mapped to Windows 7, had to use ip instead of hostname, but I'm happy.

Will set the static IP.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

I always fully update the box before making any settings. Why not assign a static ip on the OMV box outside your dhcp range?

I'm very new, was basically following online installation guides and none suggested updating, if that was the issue I apologise. Thanks for helping. :D

As for assigning a static ip, well, because I don't know how.

Quote from "davidh2k"

Carnajo, did you click on the green button?

Greetings
    David

If you mean the red button, then yes, but it didn't turn green.

BUT, just fiddling around I went into update manager and tried installing the openssh update and the OMV update and now it works!
    Only problem now is resolving the hostname. winscp and samba only seem to connect from the IP address and not the home name. My IPs should be static but this dumbass Belkin router sometimes asigns new ones for some reason (I think if I reboot the server and the router hasn't cleared the old IP it assigns a new one). It's a small thing but I would like to resolve the host name issue.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the help guys, I hope that whatever got it to work sticks.

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

What is the output of:

ls -al /etc/rc?.d/*ssh

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Dec 13 23:39 /etc/rc2.d/S03ssh -> ../init.d/ssh
    " etc/rc3.d/S03ssh -> ../init.d/ssh
    " etc/rc4.d/S03ssh -> ../init.d/ssh
    " etc/rc5.d/S03ssh -> ../init.d/ssh

Quote from "ryecoaaron"

Even after it is enabled?

Yes, I enabled it, reboot, doesn't start. Run the command you gave earlier and it works. Reboot again and it is off (red dot under services).
    Oh and I get "Host does not exist" but it does find the omv server from the ip address.

Quote from "raulfg3"

when fail to install grub, you normally have the option to install LILO, do it.

Hi, don't know what LILO means but my mistake was leaving the other drives in so the boot drive wasn't sda and it was trying to install grub bootloader into sda and the boot drive had become sde.

I've now reinstalled and the installation went fine, used the default USA mirror and unfortunately SSH still doesn't start on boot :(

Chose a new mirror, USA.
    Okay, now I get a red screen saying it failed to install the GRUB bootloader. Sounds like it might be the hard drive right?

EDIT: Nevemind, that would be just me forgetting to remove the other drives as I believe it can only install bootloader onto sda