Posts by shapeshifter910

I've installed OMV 5 and the system reboots by itself after about 5 minutes uptime.

I did have the system up for quite a while when booted into System Rescue CD (another Linux distro).

I will run further tests to narrow it down.

It might be a hardware problem but at this point I'm not sure.

After fresh install of 4.1.22-amd64.iso and initial configuration, everything is running fine.

The I run first updates which install ok, but after subsequent reboot, the webgui admin login no longer works and the system locks up a minute or so later (watching a monitor connected to the omv system).

This was reproduced 3 times.

Anybody with similar problem?

I somehow got it going - first from ssh console doing apt thing until I was purple.
    Then the updates showed up in the webgui and I started doing a few at a time in a sequence that I don't remember any more - but based on 25 years of experience using Linux (mostly Slackware) and still remembering the dependency hell from Debian.

Couple questions:
    1. Is there a way to get a "fresh" file set for the sourceslists?
    2. I have a production server that's running Omv 3 and I really don't want to have the server down for hours while I tinker with the broken update system. Is there a way to fix this updating/upgrading so it works from the webgui?

I'm on 3.0.99 (Erasmus). After 180 days, I've decided to do updates.
    Got a long error.
    Decided to upgrade to Omv 4.
    Another error.
    After 3 hours or reading posts on the forum I'm not any wiser - people refer to other posts that also have no solution, some german mixed in, lots of Debian knowledge is asumed instead of straight answer given.
    This is the error I'm getting now:

Thanks for helping.

Same problem here.
    I have not updated for a while and haven't done anything to my OMV installation.
    Today I decided to update and got this long error.
    So what is the solution?
    I can't comprehend this thread as you guys are mixing topics, talking about upgrades to new OMV releases and other stuff.
    Is there a fix or not?

What is the output of: pdbedit -L -v

pdbedit -L -v
    ---------------
    Unix username: bkadmin
    NT username:
    Account Flags: [U ]
    User SID: S-1-5-21-1894816120-3137313759-2543951943-1000
    Primary Group SID: S-1-5-21-1894816120-3137313759-2543951943-513
    Full Name: bkadmin
    Home Directory: \\omv-hcl\bkadmin
    HomeDir Drive:
    Logon Script:
    Profile Path: \\omv-hcl\bkadmin\profile
    Domain: OMV-HCL
    Account desc:
    Workstations:
    Munged dial:
    Logon time: 0
    Logoff time: Wed, 06 Feb 2036 07:06:39 PST
    Kickoff time: Wed, 06 Feb 2036 07:06:39 PST
    Password last set: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:39:29 PDT
    Password can change: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:39:29 PDT
    Password must change: never
    Last bad password : 0
    Bad password count : 0
    Logon hours : FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Just to make sure, you are adding users via the OMV web interface? Are you using ldap? What is the output of: getent passwd kadmin

Yes, via the OMV web interface.
    No, not using ldap
    Output of that command is : kadmin:x:1001:100::/home/kadmin:/bin/dash

I get that error when I creat a new user (the user still gets created though) and when I try to create/change password of a user.

Now I'm getting the same error on another system that's fully updated.

That's not good.
    Omv is version 2.2.13

Everything, but especially the silly, distracting, and useless popups that show up when running cursor over topics.
    Also a lot of white space everywhere, not much content showing vertically (even on my UHD monitor).
    At least the fonts are easy on the eyes, so I have to give credit where it's due.

After updating my omv install via the webgui I can no longer create or edit users.
    Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; pdbedit --modify --verbose --fullname='kadmin' 'kadmin' 2>&1': Username not found!' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/samba.inc:188
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVModuleSamba->onModifyUser(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/notify.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/usermgmt.inc(606): OMVNotifyDispatcher->notify(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array)
    #3 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceUserMgmt->setUser(Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('setUser', Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('UserMgmt', 'setUser', Array, Array, 1)
    #7 {main}

P.S. I really hate this forum software. Why not use something sane like PhpBB, Vbulletin etc. ?!

The OMV version really shouldn't be causing this. The 2.1.5 ISO should be fine especially if you update right away.

As far as fixing the issue, that is hard to do without error messages, method of updating, and things you are trying to configure.

Yes, I had updated right away.
    OMV installed fine. After reboot I logged in as Admin via the Webgui and ran the update.
    Although I think I tried to set the time first as it was off but I got the error message.
    It updated without problems, rebooted.
    After reboot I'd be getting this error on pretty much everything I tried to do "save" changes.
    After hours of scratching my head and googling, I found a fix on the forum here - adding the "[]" to /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json
    After a restart I was able to save configuration changes.

Another problem I've ran into at the same time (and I'll make it a separate post) is that when installing OMV from a usb flash drive, the drive was added to fstab and it conflicted with one drive of my raid 5 array.
    I was not able to mount my raid 5 volume no matter what.
    Again after hours of looking, and using the console (it cannot be solved from the webgui) I've noticed the error in fstab.

So it's two very serious install bugs and my install is pretty simple - one boot drive and three hard drives in raid 5 array for data.

If I had not been a Linux user since mid '90 and a computer tech by trade, I had no chance to resolve this.

To OMV developers, please squash the bugs and integrate some tools into the webgui (command console, way to list and perhaps edit config files like fstab etc.) so one can get more troubleshooting done remotely via the webgui.

I've installed OMV x64 on a new box after running i386 version for a while.
    Although OMV is at 2.2.5 version, the newest iso I've found is 2.1.5
    Isn't there a downloadable image of the latest?

But the main problem is the error I get every time I try to configure something.
    I've updated to 2.2.5 right after install, rebooted and after that I can't do anything.
    I've checked the boot drive with a surface scan and I'm sure it'a a good drive so my install shouldn't be corrupted.

Does someone know what's going on with my install?
    Thanks

Why is the changelog not posted or at least linked to from the main web site?
    I know about the bottom of the Home page and the Blog page but it's nothing even close to a changelog.
    And the Home page has one huge animating image taking up pretty much the entire screen.
    How about posting some useful informative content there instead of the rather useless image?
    Having a "What's New" section that's easy to find from the main navigation menu is very helpful for users to quickly find the information.
    Anyway, just a suggestion, hope it doesn't sound too much like a harsh criticism but more of a constructive one ;)

P.S. What the hell is with the "The label selection is invalid" error"?! It only gives me one choice "Resolved" which is not true.
    This seriously is retarded.

Replace the value stable for wheezy in /etc/apt/sources.list

then run apt-get update

Ok, I can add to my previous reply that I've made one more change afterwards that resolved the Update Manager
    I had in my /etc/apt one more file I've added during the repair process.
    It's "preference" and it contains

Code
    Package: *
    Pin: release n=wheezy
    Pin-Priority: 1001

I've renamed it to preference.old (to keep it for reference in case it's needed again)
    and all is good now.
    Update manager showed only 3 updates
    omv-2.1.12
    vsftp updat
    and timezone updates (forgot the exact names)

But all is good now.

I've copied the sources.list from a clean, fresh install of omv-2.1.11
    that I did on another system just a few days ago.
    But I suspect it has to do with the sources config somewhere.
    This is what I have in my sources.list

Ok, thanks for trying.
    But I've managed to fix it by following this page
    http://ispire.me/downgrade-fro…le-from-jessie-to-wheezy/
    In particular, things started happening after I did what was suggested in post by Todd, purging Python and reinstalling it.
    After that I had to run several rounds of apt-get upgrade and reboots.
    Then finally

Code
    apt-get install openmediavault

worked
    I now have omv-2.1.11 installed and working.
    My configuration was not lost and my raid volume is there.
    So I'm happy for now.

However, the Update Manager in the webgui is showing similar packages like before the breakage.
    It's showing for example both gcc-4.7 and gcc-4.9 and libsystemd-daemon0 which leads me to suspect I'd end up with the same mess as before (Jessie stable) if I allowed it to upgrade.
    So is there a fix for this?