Posts by vcp_ai

I'm trying to install OMV4 on my DL-360 G7 using the internal USB or SD Card reader and after the installer finishes it never installs Grub properly. I tried the internal USB slot as well as the external USB using both USE cards as well as a SATA drive connected via a USE connector.

Has anyone ever had a problem installing via USB on a G7 ?

Can you elaborate what/where is your problem ?
    Are you trying to install from USB to hard disk or form xx to USB ?

If first option:
    -I've done it on a DL360-G5 but it needs to add ahcpi=off to grub options... and have some problems after (do not shutdown properly)
    -Also on a DL-380-G7 without problem.

If second option:
    -Have you tried to install to hard disk ?

To test for ZFS health, and send an email if fails, I run a small script every 5 minutes that looks for the result of zpool status.

I adapted from this one :
    >>> gist.github.com/petervanderdoes/bd6660302404ed5b094d

I run it via cron every 5 minutes with parameter 0
    and once every friday with parameter 1 to force it to send an email

Hope you can understand it, if not, let me know

Is the THEME=gray option still avaailable in 4.09 ??

I've tried
    echo 'OMV_WEBUI_THEME=gray' >> /etc/default/openmediavault
    with no success ....

Regards

Scenario:
    New installation from openmediavault_3.0.58-amd64.iso To an USB flash Disk (8GB).
    Web update via WEb to 3.0.67 with no problem. reboot.
    Installed omv-extras 3.3.7
    Installed Flash-Memory 3.4.3 . Modify /etc/fstab as instructed. Enable pluging, and reboot.
    On reboot , systems hungs after Loading initial ramdisk .... message.

Looking as grub advanced options I see that I am running kernel 4.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

and also have 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (seems that update to omv 3.0.67 has installed 4.9.0 kernel)

Selecting (grub) 4.8.0 kernel, system starts with no problem, and FlashMemory pluging works !! (result of mount has lots of entries with folder2ram)

It seems to me that there is some kind of problem betwen 4.9.0 and ramdisk...

Any hints ?

Regards

First of all, I must say that I no expecience with Snapraid + MergeFS. So I can miss something important.

Agree with you:
    For data disks, use ZFS under proxmox (and also raidXX what ever you choose)
    Pass a ZFS volume to the VM (no need to raid inside the VM)

You can also use your 2 x SSDs to hold (besides Proxmox system) system disks for some of the VMs. (I have proxmox running on 32 GB SSD). So your 'special' VMS can beneficiate from the speed of them.

-LVM is very simple to use. It's main advantge is the abilty to expand storages. I repeat is very easy to use!

Proxmox is a Virtualization GUI that makes you create/manage virtual machines. Of course have (can have) all the linux utilities that you can need. Proxmox handles LVM from it´s GUI. (lot of tutorials)
    -ZFS is not so simple, but seems to have much more power (currently testing)

Proxmox supports from the box ZFS (I've not yet had the time to test).

If you like to 'play' definitively go to Proxmox:
    You can create a virtual machine, install OMV, add 4 disks to create a RAIDZ2 pool , detroy 1 or 2 disks and probe that data is still there. Add two new drives and check how they are resilvered. And finally add 4 more disks join them them to the pool to obtain doble storage.

Once decided the configuration make your OMV serve your data, and when another OMV release is out, create a new VM and test it. If you like the new release, you can 'move' your disk to your new VM, and you are running the 'new' OMV release with your 'old' data.

(Note ZFS for OMV 3.0x is currently in Beta stage).

Another (my) approach using Proxmox & OMV is:

- Proxmox is installed on a 32GB SSD.
    - All the external storage (xxxTB)is installed and given to proxmox, defined via LVM.
    - OMV (VM) has 2 disks: 8 GB for System and xxTB for DATA. Storage is defined in Proxmox GUI (LVM)
    - Every VM uses same approach. OMV is only used as a NAS for physical machines, Video, ....

Advantages:
    All storage is handled/controlled/checked by proxmox. No need to passtrough. Very easy to maintain.
    If any machine needs more storage, size (of the second disk) can be incremented (via LVM)
    If all storage defined to proxmox is used, increase storage to Proxmox (under same VG) and again you can resize LVM for a given VM
    For VMs access to storage is quicker trough Proxmox ( For rest of physical machines is a bit slower ).
    Much more flexible for creating/destroying VMs, I.E. testing new releases of OMV (actually testing ZFS 3.03)

Regards

the most I have seen chrome use is 260MB but it was not for long.
    it dropped to under 100 in about a minute. and I am not really sure it was OMV, as I had almost 20 tabls opened for different use and only 2 were OMV

20 Tabs and only 260 MB?
    Please let me know how do you do that !!!

My short experience with chrome (I do not use it) is that every tab is a new process, with no less than 140MB each.
    I've used chromium under fedora for above tests, and with only one tab (OMV) I get 6 procceses with near 500M of total memory used.

Regards