Posts by giantpune

I'm using a 4-bay usb3 enclosure. I implemented my own redundancy with cron and rsync rather than using any sort of raid. The enclosure lets you address each drive individually, including SMART status and serial number and such. So If you wanted to go with a software based raid, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The manufacturer also sells an enclosure that does its own raid if you wanted to go that route.

I'd advise against Banana pi/pro. I actually have the port multiplier card, too. I even went so far as to 3D print the BanaNAS case for it all. The end result was very disappointing.

If you just do a basic NAS with banana pi and skip that port multiplier card, you still max out at like 30-35MBs transfers. IIRC, it was due to a hardware bug with the allwinner chip that caused sata performance to stink. Also, the gbit port really doesn't let you transfer at gbit speeds. If you look around the internet, you can see people posting very dismal test output from iperf.

My banana pi is sitting in a drawer unused. My banana pro is being used in a project where network and sata performance is not demanding. In the end, I went with a odroid xu4 and I'm happy with that setup.

There are a couple things I haven't gotten to work yet because this is an arm cpu. Its pretty much a no-go for hosting virtualbox VMs on the NAS. And right out of the box, plex refuses to transcode any videos on arm. The guide I linked in the first post shows how to edit the javascript in plex so it will attempt to transcode, but I think that guide is incomplete. Plex will transcode just audio and video fine. When I try to watch a mkv with subtitles in it, enabling the subtitles make plex go back to showing its "the server is not powerful enough..." message. I believe that the server is plenty powerful enough, and with the correct edits to plex's javascript, it would handle those movies just fine.

But, this is only a small edge case for me. I only have a small handful of movies with external subtitles. To watch these, I have Kodi installed on the client and pull the files with smb or nfs.

I had to read those paragraphs twice. Are you really sure that a Raspi 2 overclocked to 1 GHz is able to transcode for Plex? Or even the Odroid XU4, is it really able to transcode for 2 clients simultaneously? What kind of clients are you using? Could you please confirm this? Or anybody in the forum?

You read that correctly. I used a handful of clients including ADT-1, nexus player, web player, and chromecast.

'top' on the XU4 board while transcoding 1 movie

Code
    Tasks: 210 total, 1 running, 209 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 7.5 us, 7.9 sy, 0.0 ni, 84.5 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.2 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 2038756 total, 1777580 used, 261176 free, 71568 buffers
    KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 used, 0 free, 1098124 cached
    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    30324 plex 20 0 103m 9236 3448 S 29.4 0.5 0:22.77 Plex New Transc
    5332 plex 20 0 356m 81m 7580 S 9.0 4.1 166:19.11 Plex Media Serv

Here's top while transcoding 2 videos to 2 different clients

Code
    Tasks: 211 total, 1 running, 210 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 5.7 us, 2.9 sy, 0.0 ni, 91.0 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.4 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 2038756 total, 1741828 used, 296928 free, 71920 buffers
    KiB Swap: 0 total, 0 used, 0 free, 1074272 cached
    PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
    5332 plex 20 0 396m 89m 7672 S 29.4 4.5 166:48.06 Plex Media Serv
    7086 plex 20 0 102m 9060 3460 S 15.2 0.4 0:16.09 Plex New Transc
    30324 plex 20 0 103m 9236 3448 S 3.6 0.5 0:37.84 Plex New Transc

Ran like crap? What exactly was it doing wrong?

It was buggy. I was getting lots of popup boxes with stacktrace looking errors. I don't remember what all they said exactly. I got the error boxes doing things like formatting drives, creating filesystems, mounting filesystems, and other operations in the webui. I havent seen a popup with a stacktrace since that initial update.

Glad to see your build is working. I have had a probox for over a year and just got the xu4 last week. I threw OMV on an SD card but it wont boot. Did you use the img available here? Thanks!

yup, that's the one I used. It actually ran like crap right off the rip. I had to apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and got a newer version of OMV. After that, it was working well and I installed all the plugins and started setting it up

Liitle question. Would it make a differecnce if you used the eMMC 5.0 instead of a regular class 10 card if used with 4-bay enclosure. Maybe plugins would load quicker but would you really see a difference?

I think with a emmc vs sd card, where you'll actually see the performance is during bootup and when installing updates/plugins. Those are the times when its doing most of the reading and writing on the rootfs. Realistically, I'm rebooting mine less than once a week, and after the initial setup, I probably invest < 5 minutes a week installing updates. So for me, there isn't much to gain by running off emmc. I guess it all depends on your usage habits and how much you value not waiting.

After a few weeks of usage, I have some graphs. This is with samba, ftp, nfs, plex, couchpotato, sickrage, transmission, and rsync services all being used daily. These cpu usage graphs even show the time with family coming over and streaming to different TVs over thanksgiving holiday.

Indeed. I used this omv-custom.css to reclaim the large chunk of screen space taken by the header.

Code
    root@odroid:/var/www/openmediavault/css# cat omv-custom.css
    div#header {
    display: none;
    }

I'm getting this same error emailed to me every week. It looks like an error in this line in /usr/sbin/update-smart-drivedb.

Code
    if cat "$DEST" | sed 's|\$''Id''[^$]*\$|$''Id''$|' | cmp - "$DEST.new" >/dev/null; then

It is downloading this file weekly. http://sourceforge.net/p/smart…B/smartmontools/drivedb.h . From what I can tell, the error doesn't cause any breaking changes and the file is always updated, even if it hasn't changed. The email message ends with '/usr/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h updated from branches/RELEASE_5_41_DRIVEDB' which is the message at the end of this file from

Code
    echo "$DEST updated from $location"

Yes. By default, plex refuses to transcode anything on arm hosts. I had to manually edit the javascript file as described here http://www.htpcguides.com/fix-…enough-on-raspberry-pi-2/
    Even my raspberry pi 2 (overclocked to 1GHz) was able to transcode 1080p movies with a similar OMV + plex setup. The XU4 board have more cores, faster clock, and twice the ram. It works fine for 2 clients watching movies in formats that it needs to transcode. I havent seen even a single bit of skipping or stuttering.

I have only a few people in my house and never expect more than 2 people streaming from the server at a time. One of these days I'll have to test multiple clients and see how many are able to watch movies before the server gets too taxed.

If you have a sample video you'd like me to test and report back, I'll give it a shot.

Very happy with the odroid XU4 for nas. I have also made a NAS with raspberry pi and banana pi. In my experience, the XU4 NAS is better in every single way. Raspberry pi could not get more than 12MBs, banaNAS made it up to 35MBs, and XU4 is sustaining 90MBs.

My Odroid XU4 build

One of the goals for my build was to try and stay cheap, but still milk out some good performance. I decided to go with the odroid XU4 board. The enclosure is a Mediasonic USB3 4-bay enclosure. I designed and 3d printed some parts that allowed me to mount the XU4 board on top of the Mediasonic enclosure.

my case models for printing - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1125745
    handy starting guide for configuring OMV on this hardware - http://obihoernchen.net/1235/odroid-xu4-with-openmediavault/

Features -
    $175 cost before hard drives
    low power usage (not as low as other single board computers, but still pretty good)
    ~90MBs sustained speeds
    temperature sensors and fans for HDDs and CPU
    SMART status is reported for each HDD and openmediavault can access it.
    8 core CPU + 2GB ram is more than enough for plex to transcode audio and video on multiple videos at once
    4 * 3.5" hard drives
    sata3 to usb3.0 bridge = 5gbit max bandwidth for HDDs
    gbit ethernet