Beiträge von Dennis

Hi zusammen!

Wer es noch nicht gesehen hat:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe…d-einrichten-2737322.html
    http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe…he-NAS-Boxen-2737328.html
    http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe…-Alternative-2737364.html
    http://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe…-Datenmengen-2737387.html
    http://www.heise.de/ct/hotline…ten-fuer-NAS-2737380.html

Kein OMV im Artikel. Es wird als Beispiel für ein Selbstbau-NAS (Microserver G8) MS Server Essentials 2012 R2, FreeNAS und (nicht ganz ernst gemeint) Xpenology verwendet.

Im Text wird mehrfach auf die Vorzüge von ZFS und btrfs hingewiesen.

Remember this is a forum to share ideas

Done so! :) And as you see, it worked in this example. New thread for one user who needs advice. Not a mixture of ten problems in one global discussion. :)

But if you want to open the other, just do it. This forum is more your home than mine... ;)

I use a pay service, CrashPlan.

Are you using their storage? Or are you doing offside-backups with friends?

I don't trust clouds any more. Some lost data (Amazon for example) and from a European point of view I can't trust servers outside the EU.

Hi Mikado!

I wrote the other thread. It's about my opinion and so I don't wanted a discussion in general about it. And as you see - it works: You set up a new thread and you're going deeper into things. :)

My lines have been primary addressed to homeusers. So I pointed out, that RAID can be helpful if you're running a business - like you do.

I understand and accept Aaron's point of view. He's a pro, he's knowing what to do, when the RAID is struggling with problems. He's not a normal homeuser. ;)

OTOH I have found that with my very intermittent 'hands on' with RAID config, it can be dicey whenever I do need to deal with RAID issues. From this angle, RAID introduces risk. Also, if my machine crashes (bsod kind of things) the RAID array rebuild time is hard to live through (two 1.5 TB disks), as it consumes a lot of RAM and cpu cycles.

Yes - that's one point. If you RAID in your workstation is RAID 1 with two HDD's, only one could fail. You've missed that point, that a rebuild is stressing the remaining HDD. When your workstation was build, both HDDs are same age, have same powercycles and so on. Let's face it: Chances are, that your remaining HDD is getting trouble via rebuild.

You're OMV is running RAID10 (8 TB data, fault tolerance 1-drive failure). Your box is new. So you got around 4 TB data. First thing I would ask, if all this data is daily used. If most data is just archived, I would swap to another solution.

If I don't use RAID on the NAS and a disk fails and that's my only copy of the data then I'd be bummed. The OMV non-RAIDers out there must have the same concerns. So what do you do? You have two NAS units?

Backups will be covert in the next "My thoughts about". So in short: I've got two OMVs (see below).

First one is an archive, so it's kind of cold storage. It's not powered on, it's not connected with the powerplug or router. It's just get connected, when really needed. It has 4 HDDs: 1 - personal data, 2 - private images (> 70000), personal videos, 3 - internal Backup to 1, 4 - internal Backup to 2. So I do internal mirroring - every five hours when running or manual. The backup-HDDs are read-only from client-side. Then I've real cold storage: encrypted HDDs. On in my cupboard, the other one some kilometers away in my working-place. When I want to update my encrypted HDDs, I go to my cupboard, grab that HDD, mirror the data and on the next working-day I'll swap the HDD in my working-desk. Arrived at home I update this HDD and store it in my cupboard. So I've three backups, two offside.

The second NAS is only for multimedia. It stores movies and tv-shows, that I've recorded via PVR from TV. This is one HDD at this time and it is not important to me. There are so many recurrences in TV, that I do not need a backup. ;) The reason for the recordings is, that I want to decide, when I want to see a movie.

IIRC the i3 is not supporting AES (Encryption). If I would build on my own, I would want AES. Not because of the 'friends' in Crypto City . I'm more scared about burglary into flats.

Nearly every day there are questions about RAID in this forum. Sometimes I feel, that "having a RAID" is important to nearly every new user.

The first common misconception is, that RAID is giving you security. The second is, that RAID is a backup. Both is not true.

The only important letter in the abbreviation 'RAID' is the first one - and it stands for "redundant". Redundancy is defined by Wikipedia as "the duplication of critical components or functions of a system with the intention of increasing reliability". Your typical RAID is only protecting you against hardware failures of the HDDs in the RAID-array. When one HDD fails, another HDD can keep your system up and running. This could be very useful, if you're running a business: It keeps you working!

RAID is not helping, when you're NAS is infected by maleware, you're deleting accidentally files, you're burglary-victim, your house is hit by lighting or a flood.

You're only investing money in availability. But is availability important to home-users? I don't think so. It doesn't matter if you can view photos now or later. The only important thing for all home-users is, that photos of their children, personal documents and other digital assets will be stored "forever". If you're not sure, what I'm talking about, I would highly recommend to see this TEDx-Talk about the "Lost Generation".

RAID is complex. RAID could cause trouble (see in this section of our forum). Don't waste time and money for availability! Just invest both in a good, easy, reliable backup-strategy. It's cheaper, easier and it is really helpful. And you'll not be part of the "Lost Generation". ;)

Disclaimer:

With "My thoughts about..." I've started a series on things, I've to write over and over again. These thoughts are total personally. They are not a general advice. They are my personal point of view. Given that, I'll close those threads after writing down my opinion.
    @ our other mods: Feel free to add you thoughts to this series. Just use the tag and open you're own thread.

Hiho!

I would not even try it. Because... It is (normally) not a big deal to do a new installation.

New installation means:

- make screenshots of some important settings
    - make screenshots of used shares
    - unmount your raid
    - unplug your data-disc
    - install 2.0
    - plugin data-discs
    - mount your data-discs
    - mount your raid (AFAIK, but I'm not an expert to RAID, it will be seen by OMV)
    - recreate your shares

If you like me, and you got only some shares and some users, it's easy.

Remember: If you try to do an upgrade and somethings goes wrong - you just wasted time.

Dennoch hätte ich einfach einen Ordner angelegt. Hat den Vorteil, dass Du bei Bedarf immer noch weiteres auf oberster Ebene anlegen kannst. Der Client sieht ja nich, wie tief der freigegebene Ordner auf dem Server verschachtelt ist.

i have checked the PCs there are no virus/trojan/malware on it

Es ist doch ein Hase- und Igel-Spiel. Die Virenscanner hinken immer hinterher und die Schädlingsprogrammierer nutzen Virustotal, um den eigenen Code zu optimieren. Im Prinzip musst Du den Rechner auslassen und zwei Wochen warten. Oder Du nimmst eine Boot-Disk und schaust von der aus. Wenn Du einen Virenscanner im laufenden System verwendet hast, hilft Dir das noch weniger.

how can i check the NAS and Rouder?

Das NAS kannst Du als Netzlaufwerk einbinden, wenn Du von WinPE aus scannst. Oder Du nimmst eine Bootdisk und scannst den Rechner. Alternativ kannst Du auch einen Virenscanner für Linux einsetzen. Ein gescheites Werkzeug gehört in jeden PC-Haushalt.

Was den Router betrifft: Bei dem komischen Support lies das und denken über einen guten Ersatz nach.

Das war auch nicht mein Wunsch :D
    hab jetzt mal ein Firmwareupdate am Router gemacht

Und Du hast sicherlich die Release-Notes gelesen und kannst einen Hinweis geben, ob das ein Brückenkopf gewesen sein könnte.

Meinst Du, wir googeln jetzt für Dich, ob Dein Router Probleme hat? :whistling: Das schaffst Du doch selbst... :D