Beiträge von Shinobi

No, the system sees it a different devices... The risk is, that you have it physically on the same disk... But you can backup the appdata on the wd drives. I'm also trying to do that... But before that i have some other issues to fix.

how big is the first SSD? you can partition it and install OMV on one partition and use the other as a sharedfolder (appdata). This is not recommended but it works.

Hi,

my WD Red 8TB disk will not spindown and i cannot seem to find out why. I followed this guide to install and configure hd-idle 1.04.
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…ith-the-OMV-plugin-Autos/

I also read somewhere, that UUIDs are not used anymore to address the disk. Is that correct? If so, what should I use instead?

I also wanted to try iosnoop, but I couldn't find any installation guide yet. Maybe someone can write the commands down?

Thanks a lot!

BR

Hi guys,

my new NAS build isn't running as smooth as I want it. I suspect the CPU or MoBo is faulty. I have been using the build only for a few days, but I noticed that sometimes the PC doesn't startup. It starts the HDD and fans, but there is no video output or power to the USB devices. After a few seconds it shuts down and tries to start again... If you try it often enough, it will work at some point, but then I got this error message on screen and the PC shut down again.

Question is: What could cause this issue? I would think it's CPU or MoBo.

I tried to reset the CMOS, change the RAM location, tried with another PSU and updated the BIOS/UEFI.

INTEL Core i3-8100T, 4x 3.10GHz, tray
    ASROCK H370M-ITX/ac
    G.SKILL Value 4 DIMM 8GB, DDR4-2133, CL15-15-15-35
    SilverStone SFX Series ST30SF (Rev. 1.0) 300W SFX12V
    ARCTIC Freezer 12 CO
    CORSAIR Force Series MP510 240GB, M.2

a 8TB WD Red is also installed.

Thank for some help!

Hi,

I finally got my new OMV NAS running and now I need to move the data from my old Synology NAS. Is there a simple way or a docker plugin that allows me to mount the Synology NAS in OMV and then start copying the files from one to the other?

If there are other solutions, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks a lot!

Would you consider buying a third drive and using SNAPRAID? SNAPRAID provides bit rot protection for local drives (works - tested), and a type of backup for file and folder restorations. (To the state they were in during the last SYNC.) Using Rsnapshot for your personal data, to backup important files from one disk to the second, you'd also have versioned backup which is the rough equivalent of CoW snapshots. And with cloud storage for your personal data, your backup requirement for personal files would be well covered.

Both Rsnapshot and SNAPRAID can be set up and ran from the GUI. A nice feature of both is that they can be added at any time. And if you chose to do so, in the future, you could back out of both without losing anything.

But I wouldn't wait too long. It's easy to forget about these things and there's no knowing when a hard drive may go south or when malware may make a mess of your personal files.

damn, now you got me thinking of adding a 3rd drive and using snapraid... BUT for the parity drive, I don't want to buy another WD Red. If i sync once a week, I guess I could pretty much get the cheapest (decent quality) HDD out there, right? It's only gonna spin up once a week... I'm honestly not expecting huge data changes every week and I can still make snapshot from one data drive to another every day I guess.

Do you guys think that makes sense?

Would you consider buying a third drive and using SNAPRAID? SNAPRAID provides bit rot protection for local drives (works - tested), and a type of backup for file and folder restorations. (To the state they were in during the last SYNC.) Using Rsnapshot for your personal data, to backup important files from one disk to the second, you'd also have versioned backup which is the rough equivalent of CoW snapshots. And with cloud storage for your personal data, your backup requirement for personal files would be well covered.

Both Rsnapshot and SNAPRAID can be set up and ran from the GUI. A nice feature of both is that they can be added at any time. And if you chose to do so, in the future, you could back out of both without losing anything.

But I wouldn't wait too long. It's easy to forget about these things and there's no knowing when a hard drive may go south or when malware may make a mess of your personal files.

i'm not gonna buy another 8TB drive right now. I think i will start with rsnapshot + cloud

I guess my ZFS/btrfs proposals are more 'food for thought' than practical advice if you're not willing to invest some time to become more familiar with such low-level stuff (which most probably wasn't your goal when choosing OMV in the first place :) )

You are right. I would prefer to stay mostly in the GUI :). I guess two independent disks as datastore and the suggested RSnapshot plugin seem to be a good way. Until now I would have just formatted the drives in an ext4 format, but is there a better one that checks for bit rot or other issues that might occur?

Not for me ;)
    The NAS of my dreams would occupy two real SATA slots, an energy efficient ARM SoC equipped with two SATA ports and 2.5GbE, the whole thing can be powered by a 12V/4A brick and will idle at below 3W with disks spun down. :)

I had almost everything already lying around... ;)

Another idea with modern storage attempts, this time btrfs. You could partition both disks and then create two btrfs filesystems:

• A large one using 7 TB of each disk, using no redundancy for data but redundancy for metadata. This will allow you to detect data corruption and as such you know which files to replace: mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d single /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
    • A small one using redundancy for both data and metadata: mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

Snapshot handling on the redundant data share will be done using btrbk and if you're a Windows user you can access older versions by using Shadow Copies (works since OMV 1). You should set up a cron job to run btrfs scrub for your btrfs filesystems at least every two months. This will repair potentially corrupted data on the 2nd share while reporting bitrot on the first share. Expanding this setup is as easy as adding another disk(s) and rebalancing the data and metadata.

That all sounds great, but I'm a little overwhelmed with the configuration and what exactly this is going to do. Is there a more detailed tutorial out there? Yes, I use Windows, so Shadow copies would be an option.

How should I partition the disks exactly? Do you mean with something like gparted or within OMV?