Posts by Alexio

In OMV4 I install additional webpages/services via the way explained by ryecoaaron in (for instance) this topic. I have Spotweb installed via this tutorial.
    The tutorial requires the MySQL and Nginx plugins, both will not be present as plugin in OMV5, Docker has to be used instead (source). I'm experimenting/learning in OMV4 so I can upgrade to OMV5 when it's stable.
    I've searched the forum (specifically these tutorials and the video tutorials Techno Dad Life has made).

How can the tutorial from ryecoaaron be used in Docker?

For info: I'm running this on an ARM system.

Indeed, powering all the components by means of one power supply. The power supply required depends on the amount of disk and if they are 2.5" or 3.5". As per the FriendlyARM SATA HAT page:
    12V/2A can drive one 3.5" hard disk or four 2.5" hard disks
    12V/5A can drive four 3.5" hard disks

While this will work, the second ingredient is not an 'Msata to Sata adapter' but simply a PCIe attached SATA controller in mPCIe form factor (no mSATA involved at all).
    Edit: not entirely sure whether it will work. AFAIK data lines are the same with mSATA and mPCIe pinouts but if not then your 'M.2 to Msata' adapter will already be the showstopper.

I hope you're aware that there exist other RK3399 boards that are equipped with a full PCIe x4 slot (RockPro64 for example). The more adapters you use the less reliable the setup will be.

mPCIe indeed, not mSATA, mistake from my side.

And I'm aware such a setup will introduce risk (apart from the risk of using cheap (less reliable?) components).

Before buying the NanoPC T4 I was also considering the Rockpro64 with the NAS kit. In the end I've chosen the NanoPC because of its form factor and expectancy that the USB3 port would be fast enough. Unfortunately the speeds to the attached 3.5" HDD are slow (10.5 MB/s). Still need to swap the HDD to an SSD to verify if the HDD or the NanoPC is the culprit.

Edit; just tried the SSD right away, it has a write speed of 216 MB/s. Strange because the HDD had speeds of 180 MB/s in the past.

A new revision of the SATA HAT with some important modifications seems to be available soon: http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wi…ex.php/NanoPi_M4_SATA_HAT
    NanoPi_M4_SATA_HAT-01B.jpg

Two mutually exclusive 12V inputs, improved thermal design, 2 more USB2 ports available on headers, fan connector (PWM adjustable) and only one Molex connector any more so I would assume they sell it with one power breakout cable for all 4 SATA disks...

My only concern is the 88SE9215 that can be seen on one of the wiki pictures (since this chip is connected with just one single PCIe lane -- what we want instead is the 88SE9235 using both PCIe lanes)

Hmm, I assumed that such a SATA HAT would also be uasbale for the T4. Just checked and the PCIe x2 GPIO is only present on the M4. Bummer :(

I'll try a combination of either:

Or just skip this, buy a 1TB NVME SSD and only use the HDD as nightly backup connected via USB 3.0.

@tkaiser long story short: can we update OMV via web GUI or we should make extra measures to be sure kernel is not updated all of a sudden? Since OMV is based on Armbian, I assume whenever Armbian updates kernel it also becomes part of OMV update via GUI.
    Sorry, got a bit confused.

I think what you need to do is:

• SSH into your system
    • Run command below
    Code
    armbian-config
    • Go to 'System'
    • Select 'Freeze'
    • Do you want to freeze Armbian firmware updates?

• 'Freeze'

But I'm not sure if this only freezes the kernel updates or also the other Armbian updates which might require updating. Hopefully @tkaiser can elaborate on this?

Another question for @tkaiser, I've recently updated the kernel on my NanoPC T4. I was able to roll it back by 'switching to other kernels' in the armbian-config utility. Is there an easy way to roll back to older kernels?

Issue I have now is that USB3.0 speed dropped to ~10 MB/s whereas it was ~100 MB/s a few weeks ago. I expect the kernel to be the culprit, however not 100% sure of this. This is still on a "test" system so I could easily flash your OMV image. However if this happens in the future when the server is in operation than I cannot easily start from scratch.

Do you still have access to the previous installation on the usb stick? If so you could have a look in the config.xml file of Openmediavault (location: /etc/openmediavault/config.xml). You can find the names of the shared folders by searching for 'mntentref'.

I don't know if you can just copy/paste this section into the config.xml of your new installation. Maybe somebody more experienced can help with that.

OK your testing on NanoPi NEO4 tells me that it is almost impossible to cool the NanoPC T4 with a passive heat sink in a condition with 100% CPU load over longer period of time. However my custom made heat sink (height 48mm!) is now sufficient for NAS application since CPU load does not exceed 50% running openmediavault - even with NVMe SSD and many paralell tasks (i.e. back to USB3.0 drive + other network traffic).

What speed can you get copying from NVMe ssd to HDD? And via which sata controller is the HDD connected?

For reference : I'm in a boat choosing between the Odroid HC2, Nanopc-T4, Nanopi M4 and the Rockpro64.
    main reason is that I prefer to have a SSD/HDD combination to increase download speed with NZBGET (downloading to SSD, unpacking to HDD).

Who would've thought, after updating the firmware I was able to see the S/N's of three different HDD's. :thumbup: Verified that they were correct by placing them in the backup device as well.
    The model now states 'Generic' on all three where it states 'Expansion' on the backup device. For now that doesn't worry me.
    I'm thinking of ordering a second HC1, first to see if it behaves the same or differently than my current HC1 and second to keep it as a hardware backup.

To update the firmware I downloaded the update file in your link (for other which are struggling with the same issue: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update). Afterwards I ran this command:

Code
    ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578_Hardkernel_v173.01.00.01.bin -b ./backup.bin

Followed by a power cycle (shutdown and disconnecting power for 10s). All good so far.

This created a new issue, the HDD is spinning down immediately instead of after 10 minutes as defined in OMV.

Than I ran the command with -t 0 parameter which should disable the spin-down timer. Did a power cycle and changed the spin-down time in OMV, issue remains.

Lastly I ran the command with -t 10 parameter which should set the spin-down timer to 10 minutes. Did a power cycle and disabled the spin-down time in OMV, issue remains.

Something to dig in on the Hardkernel forums...

At least I'm happy not being the first that needs to sell a "SATA-less" HC1 :D

So
    FOR SALE

1 x Sataless HC1 open to offers :D

:D:thumbup:

Have you tried if updating the firmware of the sata bridge helps?

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

If not, might be worth a try. I assume the market for sataless HC1 is quite small ;)

I didn't update the firmware. I was (wrongly?) assuming that the latest images for Openmediavault includes the latest firmware. When I get back home I'll check the firmware version and, if applicable, update it.

Sorry should have made that clearer, drive information is viewable in the bios on a laptop/pc but that's not possible on sbc's. The fact that you have connected the drive to a banana pi and the information is displayed correctly could point to a problem with the controller on the HC1, or another thought is the sd card on the HC1 is corrupt but usable.You've already eliminated the drive, so it's either the HC1 or the sd card running the HC1.

Ah okay, thanks!
    As mentioned in my previous post I'll try a new install on a different sd card. Searching for 'HC1 sata broken' resulted in this hit: https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=29138. This person also managed to solve the issue with a fresh install.

There's still hope :P Otherwise I'm buying a new HC1 to prevent future issues.

To me that would point to a controller problem/issue rather than the drive, seeing as how you have tested another HD, but you say you can create a file system, share and access it....on a standard pc you would just look in the bios.
    I might have missed something in your write up, have you attached the drive to the Banana Pi? and if so does the information display the drive information correctly.

1. What do you mean with 'on a standard pc you would just look in the bios'?
    2. I've connected the HDD to the Banana Pi (second system). There it shows the correct info. Also tested with another HDD which works as expected on the Banana Pi but not on the Odroid HC1.

Any hints on verifying if the (SATA?) controller is giving the issue?
    This weekend I want to write a fresh image on a separate micro-SD card to see if the information then is shown correctly.

Dear community,

Short story + question
    Wiping a disk after a (possibly) failed BTRFS partition results in model shown as 'n/a' and a incorrect Serial Number (see screenshot 'Disc_NOK). In the past and on a different system the model is shown and the Serial Number is different (see screenshot 'Disc_OK'). Also verified with a second disk, this one has the same issue (no model and S/N on main system, model and correct S/N on second system). What could be causing this and how to solve it?

Long story
    Earlier today I wanted to download some files via nzbget. I returned a lot of permission related errors. Further investigation showed that the entire disk was read only and that the BTRFS partition got damaged. Unfortunately I can't recall all steps/errors done,

• btrfs-zero-log /dev/sdb1 <-- this one didn't work but the command line gave the proper directions;
    • btrfs free extent errno 5 io failure.

Since I have multiple backups on a second system I didn't want to spend to much time in investigating what was causing the issue (as always, time was critical :rolleyes: ). Therefore I wanted to wipe the disk, create a new BTRFS file system and sync the files back from the second system. Then the error of 'model n/a' and incorrect S/N arose. Steps I tried to solve the issue:

• Wipe disk, create partition:

• on main system;
      • on second system;
      • on laptop+Linux;
    • Deleted all Shared folders which exist on the HDD;
    • Multiple reboots in between the Wiping/creation of BTRFS partition, all to no avail.

Still no correct model and S/N shown.

I thought maybe the SATA port on the HC1 got damaged, however I'm able to create a BTRFS partition, shared folder for samba and I can read/write to this folder from a laptop+Windows.

Setup
    Main system: OMV running on a Odroid HC1 with the image provided by Tkaiser+ARMbian (started with OMV 3 and updated it myself to OMV 4)
    This setup is running on a 32 GB Samsung Evo Plus Mirco-sd card
    Gigabit wired connection

Second system: OMV running on a Banana Pi M1 with the image provided by Tkaiser+ARMbian (couple of weeks ago a fresh install with OMV 4.1x)
    This setup is running on a 16 GB Samsung Evo Micro-sd card
    Gigabit wired connection

If more information is required please let me know. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it :)

Files

• Disc_NOK.jpg

(28.16 kB, downloaded 266 times, last: )
    • Disc_OK.jpg

(29.71 kB, downloaded 211 times, last: )

I'm running OMV 2.2.5 and would like to start using Syncthing. I notice the latest version of Syncthing is v 0.14.3 and that this version is not compatible with lower version clients. In OMV the plugin version is 1.9.2.

Will this plugin work if other clients (Windows laptop/Android phone) require v 0.14.3? If no, is there a way to make this work?