Beiträge von JF002

Hello,

I've just installed the plugin duplicati on my OMV4 installation (OMV 4.1.26 running on Armbian on an Odroid XU4).
    It works well except, when I select the source data folder, duplicati cannot see the content of the shared folders (either via /sharedfolders or via mount points in /srv).

For example, I can browse in all system folder (/root, /bin, /boot) and see the subfolders and files. However, I cannot browse into any folder that is referenced as a subfolders in OMV. In /sharedfolders, I can see the shared folders, but not their sub directories.
    I tried to specify full path to a folder to backup, but the backup does nothing, it backs up 0 files.

In this picture, you can see I can browse into /opt, for example, but not in /sharedfolders/JF (I can assure you there are a lot of subfolders and file in JF) : https://1fichier.com/?zldsqtxgudwuojenfspw
    In this picture, you can see the result of the backup, where 0 file have been backuped : https://1fichier.com/?1h6s8ekpuwez9bgjltl7

I think this is a permission / ACL issue, but I can't figure out how to fix that.

Any help?

HI,
    I'm on 3.0.96 version and use pi3 with OMV. Still have exactly the same issue as JF002 has described. Couldn't find the solution either.

In my case, the external hard-drive died before I could find a solution for this issue. It was old, it was small, it was slow... I replaced it with 2*4TB on USB3, and they work very well.
    I don't think I had power issue, as the drive was self-powered. But I could imagine that a diyng drive could corrupt the filesystem during its agony...

Unfortunately, no...
    I'm still using it, but I regularly have to fsck the filesystem. I didn't see any corruption, but I don't use it for sensible data.
    I tried many things, parameters, commands,... with no luck.
    As ryecoaaron said, it might be an unsupported sleep mode, bug in the driver, in the USB adapter,...

I plan on buying bigger hard drive, but I don't know if the issue will still be there or not...

My conclusion : use native Sata... USB has its limitations...

Yep, I came to the same conclusion. But I still don't know how to find what is querying the drive....

On the previous installation, based on the official OMV image for the XU4, this didn't happen, so, it's possible to prevent these wake-ups... I just don't know how!

Unfortunately, watching the mountpoint shows nothin:

Code
    root@odroid:~# inotifywait -m /media/36bc1b34-a3a9-4f53-ab75-c7d449e5f5e4
    Setting up watches.
    Watches established.

But, inotifywait launched at the same time of the previous one shows this, just at the time the drive wakes up:

Code
    root@odroid:~# inotifywait -m /dev/sda
    Setting up watches.
    Watches established.
    /dev/sda OPEN
    /dev/sda CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE

But it doesn't show any clue about the file or folder that is accessed :/

I'll see if lsof can be of any help...

EDIT : no, lsod doesn't see anything...

Don't know. I don't even spin my drives down.

In my case, the HD is idle most of the time... it doesn't need to run all day when I don't need it.

I did several tests with inotifywait on various location (/dev/sda, /dev/sda1, /media/mountpoint ,...). It detects an event on /dev/sda just when the HD spins up, but not on other locations. Here is the output :

Code
    root@odroid:~# inotifywait -m /dev/sda
    Setting up watches.
    Watches established.
    /dev/sda OPEN
    /dev/sda CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE

So, it seems that something reads "something" on /dev/sda. But I assume that it is lower level than the filesystem (which is EXT4, btw).
    Any idea on what could access the device directly every 1/2h ?

Thanks!

You have /var/log in tmpfs but you really need /var/lib/rrdcached and /var/lib/monit in tmpfs.

rrdcached is the statistics/graphs in OMV. You can disable them to see. They shouldn't be causing the drives to spin up since their files live in /var/lib/.

I would look at cron jobs as well.

Thanks for the tip, I'll add these directories in tmpfs.

I disabled monitoring in the web interface, without any result on my issue...

I analyzed all files in /etc/cron.d.
    The only entries that are executed regularly are

• openmediavault-rrdtoolgraph, run every 15 minutes
    • php5, run at h09 and h39 (every 30 minutes)

I moved these files away from cron to check if they cause the issue.
    Then, there are all the files in cron.daily, cron.weekly,... but I assume they are launched only once a day, week...

Is there any way to log the HDD spinup/down in order to debug this easily?

Thanks!

Here are more informations : I was monitoring the file /var/log/daemon.log while the disk restarted. Here are the lines that appears just at that time :

Code
    Jun 25 15:44:18 Odroid rrdcached[1229]: flushing old values
    Jun 25 15:44:18 Odroid rrdcached[1229]: rotating journals
    Jun 25 15:44:18 Odroid rrdcached[1229]: started new journal /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/rrd.journal.1466862258.461152
    Jun 25 15:44:18 Odroid rrdcached[1229]: removing old journal /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/rrd.journal.1466855058.461991
    Jun 25 15:45:01 Odroid rrdcached[1229]: Received FLUSHALL

Could this 'rrdcached' need to read/write to the external hard drive?

Zitat

Hope you have the flashmemory plugin installed.

It was installed on my previous installed (based on a ready made image but running Debian7). This installed on Dietpi is rather new, and I haven't installed it yet. But I think that DietPi already has some mecanism to reduce wear leveling.

Here is my FSTAB, by the way:

Zitat

Do you smart tests enabled? That could be waking the drive up.

SMART tests are disabled in the administration panel of OMV. Is there any way to check that in the command line to be sure?

Can I check if there is any scheduled job running of the system? It seems to spin up every 15 or 30 minutes...

Hi!

In a previous post , I was trying to understand why my FS was regurlary corrupted. It was said that I could be caused by an unsupported sleep mode, but I didn't look further.

Now, I noticed another issue : the hard-drive correctly go to sleep mode after a 10 minutes or by issuing the command 'hdparm -y /dev/sda', but it awakes by itself, without any reason (no access to the hard drive at that time).
    I couldn't find the reason of that... It seems to occur event if the system is totally disconnected from the network.

For information, I'm running OMV3 (yeah, I know, it's beta, but I want to run on Debian 8 ) on an Odroid XU4 installed with DietPi (based on Debian 8). I'm not sure that this issue is directly linked to OpenMediaVault, but I think that there are a lot of experts out there that could help me. The OS is running from an SD card, and the hard-drive is a Lacie external hard drive connected on USB 2.

I've read the Guide to debugging disks spin up with no success : hdparm -C /dev/sda always return the state "standby" (even if it is actually running), so, this script cannot detect the drive spinning up.
    I've monitoried dmesg when the drive restarted, but I didn't see any messages about sda, only READ/WRITE blocks on mmcblk0p2.

In the man page of hdparm, I found the param '-Z', that is supposed to disable automatic power saving modes for some Seagate hard-drive. The reference "ST3xxx models" is mentionned. When I saw that, I thought it should solve the issue, as my hard drive is a Seagate ST3500820AS. I ran hdparm -Z /dev/sda but it still spins up automatically.

Here are some more information about the hard drive:

I don't know how to diagnose further this issue. I'm looking for new ideas :)

Thanks!

I've tried setting various values in the options of the physical drive (power management) without any luck : I experience random FS corruption. It seems to happen when the drive needs to restart from sleep mode.

Previously, I used this same hard drive on my router with OpenWRT. At that time, it was formatted in FAT32, but I've never observed any corruption (but I don't know if FAT32 is smart enough to detect them).

Is there any solution to this issue?

ryecoaaron, you might be right... I'm under the impression that this happen when the drive is woken up by a write request. For example, I experienced this when I wanted to download a file with the 'downloader' function.
    It doesn't seem to happen when I just want to read files from the disk.

Should I try different settings in "physical drive" from the administration panel (Advanced Power Management, automatic acoustic management)?
    There are several choices. For now, they are disabled, only the spin-down delay is set to 10 minutes.

The external hard drive is this one from lacie : https://www.overclockers.co.uk…hard-drive-bg-022-lc.html

Hello!

I'm running OMV 2.2.1 on an Odroid XU4. The system is installed on the SDCARD, and I use an external hard-drive (USB2, 500GO) as storage. The system is idle most of the time, I generally use it to listen to music or watch movies in the evening.
    It runs perfectly for 4-5 weeks, except that I notice that, since 1-2 weeks, the storage filesystem is remounted in read-only mode every 2 days.

It happened today, here is the relevant output from dmesg:

Code
    [522943.556672] [c1] EXT4-fs error (device sda1): __ext4_journal_start_sb:62: Detected aborted journal
    [522943.564383] [c1] EXT4-fs (sda1): Remounting filesystem read-only

In order to bring the filesystem back in write mode, I need to unmount it, run fsck.ext4. Then, when it is remounted, it is accessible in write mode... until the next time it is remounted in readonly mode...

I know that there are a lot of chances that my disk is dying, but... how can I diagnose it?
    After the fsck, the hard drive works correctly, I can write big files at good speeds and they do not seem to be corrupted.
    Is there any other reason for this kind of errors?

Thanks!

Zitat

Rationale: I learnt the hard way that hard drives just aren't reliable.

That's why I'm trying to find a reliable backup strategy :)

The UPS/battery is a good idea. I'll do some searching about them.

Zitat

Connecting the backup HDD to another system wouldn't prevent it from being corrupted by these other systems

You're right. But I doubt that both systems (NAS-Odroid/Backup-openwrt) will fail and corrupt the drive at the same time.

Zitat

Better would be to simply turn it off when not actively being used for a backup

Physically disconnecting the drive is a good idea, but not very practical. Do you think that mounting the drive before the backup and unmounting it after would be a good compromise?

Hello,

I'm running OMV on an Odroid-XU4, with one external hard drive (2TB). For now, there is no backup, and I manually keep copies of my files on other computers. For now, I use ~500GB of space. I use this NAS to store my music, photo/video, project files,...

I would like to add a second USB hard drive (2TB or more) that would store a backup of the first hard drive.
    Using rsnapshot, I could do incremental backups and have the possibility to keep multiple version of the files.
    Rsnapshot would run daily, and backup, for example, 7 days and 4 weeks of my data.

This solution is very simple, "straight to the point", and quite cheap. But I'm afraid of losing data in case of hardware error, unexpected power down,... That is, some unexpected events that could corrupt the whole filesystem, or "silent corrupt" the files.

I'm wondering how reliable is this strategy? Do you think I should change/improve it?

The first think that comes to my mind would be to connect the backup hard drive on another device than the XU4, on a raspberryPi or my OpenWRT router, for example. This way, if the XU4 fails and corrupt the filesystem, it wouldn't corrupt also the backup hard drive.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks!

Hi!

Thank you very very much for all these suggestions! There are so many possibilities.

Anyway, in the mean time, I decided to order an Odroid XU4, as I wanted to try some things on it, for this project and for other ones.

So, my first try will be with the XU4. I'll be able to discover the world of the DIY NAS, and have a better idea of what I need.

I'll certainly come back to report my status and ask some questions if needed :)

Hi,

I'm thinking about building my own NAS for some time, and I'm now looking for some hardware suggestions. I've already read some interesting posts on this forum, but I would like to ask some more questions.

My needs are:

• 2TB HDD space
    • >10MB/s transfert rate (the more, the better)
    • Reliable
    • Cheap
    • Power efficient
    • Silent

Basically, I'll use this NAS to store data I don't want to loose, that's why "Reliable" is in my needs: If I put files in it, I would like to be fairly sure that I won't loose them even if I don't have any other backups.
    I'll store my personal files (music, source code of my projects, backup of servers,...) and the ones from my girlfriend (she is a graphist, she has a lot of images, projects, videos,...). The NAS will be mainly accessed via Samba.
    I do no t plan to use this NAS as a media player, transcoder, downloader,...

I see to possibilities:

• Using an ARM SBC, like the Odroid XU4, and connect 2x 2TB external hard drives
    • Build a full low-cost computer (based on a mini-ITX motherboard with fanless CPU, and internal SATA drives).

In both cases, I would use one hard drive as the "data" hard-drive, and the second one as a backup. A cron job would run rsync every night to backup the "data" hard drive on the second one, the "backup" hard drive.
    I think that the XU4 will be cheaper than a full low-cost PC, and will be more power efficient, but it is also less expandable. And I don't know about the reliability of the board and its power supply.
    The PC would cost more money and use more electricity, but it is more expandable.

I've already tried to build this kind of NAS with a RaspberryPi and my openWRT router, but the network speed is too low (~6Mo/s for the rpi and ~10 for my router).

What do you think about this? Do you have any thoughts about the 2 solutions? Or another possibility?

Thanks for your help!