Posts by datruche

So a summary of this thread:

User A - can we have file encryption please?
    OMV - Na, it's too complicated to decrypt
    user B - two open source tool Encfs or Ecryptfs that just work on Debian/OMV
    OMV - Can you elaborate?
    user B - elaborated
    OMV - Na, we care for closed source OSes only
    User B - here's some toolsfor Android, Mac and Windows that use Encfs
    OMV - Na, one is closed and may even require a fee.

Friends, please help not dropping on this case.

OMV: Syncthing 0.12.21
    Arch: Syncthing 0.12.21
    Android: Syncthing 0.12.20
    Have you guys noticed we've got the brand newest available version on OMV + a web ui plugin to manage it easily?-)

Non-tech people are making that little effort to go beyond « whatever OS » was pre-installed on their machines; these guys and lads are more concerned by the security and privacy their data get. For there are good reasons why OMV developers, or E. Snowden trust Open Source well over the closed ones.
    Shouldn't they be encouraged to pursue on this side of the Force, or put aside to give the lazier priority (and encourage them to change nothing)? Unless and to quote a signature ;) this forum has become support for a certain Redmond company more than for OMV.

As noted above and overlooked by @davidh2k EncFS works on Linux, Mac, Windows, and Android. That's a strong (though not perfect) security feature available for Windows and Android's Dropbox users but not to OMV's, jeee'!

ryecoaaron's note about backports kernel stability appreciated

Ich spreche kein Deutsch.

I agree that it would be great to be able to backup settings but it is not possible currently. You have to make an OS level backup.

@Mark it's feasible using mostly the Web UI

1. Setup once for all
    - Create rsnapshot profile for localhost in /etc/rsnapshot/localhost
    - Put in what you want to save, e.g. /etc (you can take /etc/rsnapshot.conf as an example or one of the many online guides at your preference).
    2 Schedule
    - From the Web UI, add a job as per your needs
    For example I have

Code
    /usr/bin/rsnapshot -c /etc/rsnapshot/localhost daily

3. Check your log

Jetzt es ist schön !

Could start asking their software provider about its support of Encfs, Ecryptfs or else open source encryption tool.
    I dunno, and am not on Microsoft payload. OMV is Debian GNU/Linux powered if I remember well.

EDIT: EncFS works on Linux as well as Mac through macfuse or Windows using BoxCryptor. There might be other ways of getting it to work under Windows but I don't use Windows so you're on your own here.

@davidh2k thank you for showing interest. Well from ikogan's quote to 'So, ...' my post above is all about elaborating on how I think this scenario works. For sync'ing as well as for backup, enc/decryption being done on the client side only... Until a plugin gives OMV the ability to act as a client. sorry, I was unclear.

In other words: securely encrypt your files in the cloud (see the « Set Up EncFS On Linux » part). But since that part of the cloud --OMV-- is in our hands, why refrain trusting? Should be able to encrypt and decrypt no less than, say, your Ubuntu (and even more than my chrome OS laptop). PS will adjust a couple of bits in my previous message but please note English's not my first language.

Have OMV backing up my own files and remote access to it. Next step is
    easy sync'ing and read access to their content for non-tech relatives
    and colleagues, from WAN (vs LAN only). Please what would be the
    options for that? Note am a brand NAS newbie though a relatively
    experimented Linux user.

Public and OS: Non-tech users on Linux, Windows and Android.

1. Easy content sync'ing (backup)
    IMHO
    Syncthing seems a good way to go. I.e. set up a sync folder on their
    machines; set up a folder per user with quota and ACL + trash or version
    control "à-la-Dropbox" on the OMV/Syncthing server; letting them know
    the size limitation, done. It's doing fine on my OMV and Linux/android
    clients machines.

2. Timely and easy access to their content
    that would be
    - easy to use for non-tech users
    - read only (for backup-like sync'ed content)
    - ACL: user ß only sees his/her files (with optional group access for e.g. team members)
    - from Linux, Android or Windows
    - quick to set up on the client side

I thought about these options:

- SFTP? would be my preferred way but seems a bit overkill in term of per-user config
    - FTP: neat and rather easy on both client and server's sides, but can it be secured enough (I have no recent experience at all)
    - WebDAV?
    - Samba/CIFS? looks best for LAN and read/write access from Windows
    - Another way?

EDIT: moved from the Guides forum.

Hi

Receiving the following log:

Code
    egrep: /var/log/pm-suspend.log: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

from

Code
    Cron <root@OMV> /var/lib/openmediavault/cron.d/userdefined-<UUID> | mail -E -s "Cron - Gwen" -a "From: Cron Daemon <root>" root >/dev/null 2>&1 [omv.ext]

each time OMV runs a rsnapshot push backup of a client machine from Cron.
    Does happen whenever the backup happens or not (i.e. is launched every N hours but run only if the client was backed up before 24h)

I'm guessing it can be related to TLP that I have installed this week end. Also blacklisted some unneeded kernel modules (like wifi).
    There's no /var/log/pm-suspend.log; there's a pm-powersave.log though:

Would removing pm-utils help, and is that safe on OMV?

Here's a way to do it.

1. OMV side
    - check the ssh service via the Web UI: Services » SSH: Enable
    - check/create the dir you want to be mounted remotely via ssh, with the wanted ACL (eg read/write/execute)
    - you need to add a bash login instead of pure shell or dash. Otherwise things like autocomplete or ctrl+r don't work. You can do that from the users management
    - add the user to sudo group or switch to root using su.
    - create a folder that you want for home and place the path in /etc/passwd in the the fifth field. Don't forget to chown the folder to the owner.
    - know the user ID (eg with `grep USER /etc/passwd` or `cd && ls -lan .` check the third column)

2. Client side
    - check you have access to your OMV via ssh
    - optionally set up ssh key authentication (avoid the hassle to enter the password upon each ssh/fs access and mounting)
    - install sshfs
    - create the dir where you wanna mount the remote dir locally `mkdir /path/to/sshfs/server/dir`
    - mount it with `sshfs -o idmap=user,allow_other,uid=YOUR_UID,gid=YOUR_GID user@omv:/media/UUID/DIR /path/to/sshfs/server/dir -C` (tip: make an alias to mount it with eg `sshfs_omv`)

The 'uid=,gid=' allows for rw access even if the user on the client has different uid and gid than on the OMV server
    Check it works (eg `ls /path/to/sshfs/server/dir/`)
    Unmount it : `fusermount -u /path/to/sshfs/server/dir`

There might be other ways but that one just works.
    Edit: added the user $HOME steps to mount via ssh as a user (vs root).

You may know how to change things via command line but just remember that OMV and its plugins overwrite most config files. So, your change will be wiped out. If you want to do things via command line, I'm not sure why you would use OMV but oh well.

Err because
    - Again I'm a NAS Web UI & plugins total newbie,
    - one doesn't know until he tries out
    - linux's about *choice*
    - want to go stable and secure
    - wanna use and be part of an all-and-only data community
    - build smthg my non-tech relatives can use
    - OMV fits the low pro hardware I could throw in

I noticed you never mention looking at the Guides forum on this forum. A description of each plugin is in the plugin list on the plugins tab. You shouldn't have had to go anywhere to see what each plugin does.

We also try to put instructions in the plugin. Installing it is no issue since you just select it in the plugin list and click install. There should be little risk installing it since most aren't enabled after installing.

- Started searching forum in the Guides subforum. Just thought my answer to your question above was long enough already
    - There were 6 or 7 plugins listed upon installing. You mean I should have gone with them, and was wrong to search for an omv stable plugins list and instructions on how to get them?

The backports kernel shouldn't be needed unless someone tells you that you need it or you know enough to want it. I googled rsnapshot and found out everything about it from the first link. The plugin just configures it. Each field should describe what it does.

- I wanted zswap (kernel 3.13+) to help the tiny hardware and SDHC. Listed reasons here: [Tutorial][Experimental][Third-party Plugin available]Reducing OMV's disk writes, also to install it on USB flash
    - wanted to imcremental backup other boxes to the NAS; Asked the community about that.

I don't understand why more needs to be added to the readme. If you are on github and have coding skills, going to the omv-extras is backwards in my opinion.

This forum is very active and instead of wasting 3 days looking for something, I would've asked a question 2.9 days earlier and saved yourself a lot of time.

-Foll0wed the Doc and wiki who linked to omv-extras, as did the third-party docs I found
    - I like this forum, yet forums ain't doc. Are time consuming unless you know it well (for newcomers it is huge, goes in all directions etc). Link to the forum post in the Plugins doc was broken.
    - Joe-coder ain't no magician, when starting a project coders rely on the tools' docs as anyone, actually more than M Joe-mouse (hint: Arch, LFS or git wiki and forums). Saw a few posts that point out OMV's need more experimented users and contributors. Ah ;)

I'll leave the "Best developers usually take their time" shot alone... If everyone that pointed out our shortcomings/faults would just a spend a few minutes helping, we probably wouldn't have the issues you pointed out :)

Ryecoaaron you asked me to report how I found OMV'plugins. You wouldn't be angry that I've tried to comply, would you?
    EDIT: Owdy, if not then why deleting my answer?

Okay, would like to hear how you guys push incremental backups from OMV. There might be a couple of plugins I overviewed.

I added rsnapshot-once to rsnapshot. Now enjoying automatic incremental backup of all my personal non audio-video files as well as users and systems configs (~20 gig) from a desktop, a laptop and OMV itself. It's set up so that any new/changed content on any machines will be backed up at least once a day, provided the box's ON a couple of hours.
    As for restoration I tried NFS share. Wasn't smooth so I've set up sshfs on the external boxes and it works fine.

Yeah I got it (coudn't find a single package in /var/cache/apt though).

Here comes 02nocache:

Code
    Dir::Cache "";
    Dir::Cache::archives "";

Please where to set the pkgs cache taken that flashmemory-plugin's installed?
    If it make sense to keep them on such a stable OS as Debian Wheezy but better foresee than repair.

Ahhh I get it thanks to subzero79. Is a mix of your both answers actually!

What about keeping installed packages? Long habit in rolling Arch; does it give some roll-back possibility as well in Wheezy (with smthg like `dpkg -i /path/to/cache/PKG.deb && apt install -i`)?

@The Master you oughta be right.

@subzero79

Thank you for the great forum. Please what is causing this:

$ ls /

An update on setting up OMV on that low pro Intel Atom:
    * Now auto incremental backup of all my personal non audio-video files as well as users and systems configs (~20 gig) from a desktop, a laptop and OMV itself. It's set up so that any new/changed content on any machines will be backed up at least once a day provided it's ON a couple of hours.
    * Power consumption reduced back to 5 Wa/h idle (50-90 wakeups/second) incl. disks and wol, yeah. I played a good bit with powertop, TLP and the various unneeded devices (eg. sound, wifi and screen).

OMV's plugins
    are God's gift for both the distro and users (Ryecoaaron take it easy). Yet there are cases when cli, on top of being more flexible, will also be faster and easier: e.g. configuring `dnsmasq` on Arch, CentOS and now OMV takes just the same steps via cli. Same interface and steps, actually I may just scp one of my present setups and adapt/check it on the new machine in a very short time. Accessing /etc/hosts and all the mandatory files from a single console takes seconds.

Ciao ryecoaaron. I have been thinking on your question above upon having read it. Tried to sum it up in a funny way if you're in a hurry. Otherwise here were my steps before @sieben did his super useful work on omv-extras.org

Before install I checked a bunch of diy NAS' requirements and really overviewed OMV's capabilities (if not I would have asked on the forum --and may well have chosen another OS upon realizing the doc's time price)

Installing the bare OS was a breeze. I needed/searched two things to be able to integrate it in our data flow (please remember I'm responsible for our datas and it's my first diy NAS):
    a) Setup guide for any NAS and OMV related features. And taken its modular design,
    b) Plugin list with a desc. of what each does. That's when things started to become funny a bit.

OMV Doc and WIki talking very little of plugins --for v0.5 to 1.0, I went to omv-extras.org (e.g. activate the Flash memory Plugin: (see Plug-ins)...). But despite taking it from all sort of SE, best I could find was a packages list with zaro instructions. A forum search gave back tens of results (most if not all for later troubleshooting). Searched the Web ui where Plugin tab linked to... omv-extras.org. Next day I searched on GitHub where lots of READMEs where as silent as "Tay" IA after Microsoft shut it ip. (am such a boomer: actually found something to eat in https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…avault/mkconf/flashmemory !) so then, that night I searched for users' memos and guide (e.g. awasu , jose-crispim , howtoforge , thekentishman or yvesmazur) : Good things but outdated for plugins. Can't remember the exact steps to find the relevant infos on backports kernels (I wanted zswap) or rsnapshot, but it only took ~an hour, each. But it is then, on third day that I found your Unofficial Plugin Repo for 0.5 Sardaukar, 1.0 Kralizec, 2.0 Stoneburner, 3.0 Erasmus post.

Hope it makes sense how important for reviewers/newcomers updating omv-extras.org and the wiki was/is.
    Also a few words on every OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers plugin's README would definitively help the more coders amongst us. And forward them to the right place by providing a link to omv-extras.org, now that it has been updated. Best developers usually take their time as precious in my experience. Edit: meaning will go first for well documented tool for a good reason. My two cents :)

@happyreacer Gotcha man.
    I already knew there've been an update somewhere, but looking at the doc, plugins-stable, the wiki or old omv-extras.org, wasn't sure if I'd choose 0.5, 0.6 or 1.0. Need to keep da NAS runnin' you see ;)

Now with @sieben's hard work and the updated Joomla it's so much cleaner; right from the front page there's only one choice to stay stable :thumbsup: