Beiträge von datruche

@happyreacer Gotcha man.
    I already knew there've been an update somewhere, but looking at the doc, plugins-stable, the wiki or old omv-extras.org, wasn't sure if I'd choose 0.5, 0.6 or 1.0. Need to keep da NAS runnin' you see ;)

Now with @sieben's hard work and the updated Joomla it's so much cleaner; right from the front page there's only one choice to stay stable :thumbup:

15 gig of data (100k files) backed up from first remote client with rsnapshot-pull/ssh; the atom z520 powered by OMV is doin well indeed :)

@ryecoaaron To find the plugins for OMV 2x actually took me well over an hour ':-}
    Please feel free to list stuff in need for an update in e.g. the wiki.

For the record: Bash history, aliases, tmux and script take the thousand keystrokes back to how much, uh? maybe ten, fifteen ;)
    Also instant responsiveness; multiple views and actions at any time thanks to tmux/screen, persistent and fully encrypted connection without even having to set up ssl certifs... Oh man it's so fu... super effective :D

Thank you boba and ryecoaaron for porting fs2ram to OMV!

I think it is the other way around.
    older implementations of TRIM in the kernel (what happens when you place the discard mount option) sucked big way when deleting files (and the TRIM kicked in)
    https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/337
    Nowadays the impact is minimal (unless you love to delete hundreds of GB of small files repeatedly from the SSD for some reason, which is an unrealistic use case) and should get better.
    https://kparal.wordpress.com/2…-option-on-intel-525-ssd/

Debian recommends a weekly trim. Arch threw away `discard` mount option in favor of a weekly fstrim back in 2013.

I'm waiting for Antergos to download (Arch linux, easy to install), I want to see if the same issue persists in the latest kernel too before posting bugs in the kernel bugtracker.

Any USB flash memory device I throw in the NAS running OMV 2.2 is recognized as "rotational" device. Yeah even these with a nice controller such as a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 (have SMART support and Windows recognizes as a "local disk"). So, #1318 not solved.
    Note it's the same on my Arch with kernel 4.4.6 where it's given the "wrong" IO scheduler despite appropriate udev rule. Seems a kernel bug.

BTW I've set swapiness, added a low latency IO scheduler for the flash-mem, and activated zswap in my OMV 2.2. What about informing on some of these upon flashmemory plugin install --with an article in the Wiki? I may write a draft of the later.
    swappiness on the Debian wiki
    IO-Scheduler on Debian wiki
    zwap on Arch wiki (Debian's only has zram)
    Interesting discussion on zswap, Reddit

Also, noatime already includes nodiratime, so no need to specify both (just check `man mount` or the source). You can make fstab a bit KISSer :)

Having properly aligned partitions on the flash memory used for OMV install, avoid the Write Amplification, therefore double lifetime expectancy, as well as write performances (not telling you anything new here).
    OMV handled that nicely on the microSDHC that was partitioned from the installer :) A check and info displayed would be nice for users who may have partitioned their "disk" out of OMV. At any rate it would give users satisfaction their flash storage is optimally aligned. Three neat refs:
    https://lwn.net/Articles/428584/
    SSDOptimization on Debian wiki (really is about flash-memory storage, not ssd only)
    Formatting sd-cards for speed and lifetime

EDIT: added more ref links.

A long time Linux user as blue in NAS as possible. I started setting up OMV 2.2 2 weeks ago to replace a desktop "server", using a tiny Intel x86 netbook. Have Syncthing's working (plugin). Next comes incremental backup of the other machines all running GNU/Linux OSes.

I do it from the desktop via rsnapshot & ssh atm. Pushes backups of the remote hosts daily, weekly and monthly to HDD "Uno" and "Deuzio" that are swaped every week. Swapped HDD being stored offsite.
    The few non-Linux OSes (Android and a Windows laptop) is sync'ed with Syncthing for our data; and with rsync or imaging for the systems confs.

I'd like to hear those of you guys who do incremental data backup from remote hosts say a bit how do you manage that via OMV!?
    Before I start to set up rsnapshot to do auto incremental backups of the remote host the usual Linux way (setting up password-less key auth). As I may well be missing the NAS way, new to me as it is.

Zitat von "ikogan"

encfs can also be used for encrypting individual directories and being transparent to all file sharing tools (thought it has a few cryptographic weaknesses).

Yeah, that's where filesystem level encryption shines vs block level's.
    We don't need decryption on the NAS side to sync or restore our encrypted data: Once backed up in OMV encrypted, it's available for sync'in/restoring to any device, where it'll be (auto-)decrypted, voilà.

/path/to/encrypted_content # safely sync'ed or backed up on OMV;
    /path/to/decrypted_content # used as any unencrypted dir on client only;

That's the first step to keeping our contents private. Next:

Zitat von "UchiyamaSuzuko"

I would assume the storage will be inaccessible [in OMV] until you log into the webUI to mount the encrypted volume with your password?

Zitat von "FeraTechInc"

only decrypt the contents any time a user connects via ssh/ftp using their password to decrypt the data

Yeah, so now:

/path/to/encrypted_content # safely backed up and sync'able on/from OMV;
    /path/to/decrypted_content # upon login (e.g. via ssh) then used as any unencrypted dir on OMV.

That's what I use for 5-6 years on my Arch-based laptops (where it works real good), as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ECryptfs#Auto-mounting. More importantly it's a big point in Chromium/e OS data privacy model*, or in a less techy language here « Sign-In and Encryption ».

So the following, while factual, is not a problem to add for filesystem encryption support in OMV and use it effectively as it seems to me:

Zitat von "davidh2k"

First
    of all, you guys already acknowledged the biggest problem of encrypting
    stuff, the need to decrypt it. Thus, either you have to have your
    system run 24/7 which can leave your data vulnerable in certain
    conditions or you have to live with the fact that you have to type in
    your password regularly to decrypt your data.

EDIT: for better readability hopefully.

(*) which is flawed in other ways --none affecting OMV I believe.

Hey, proposing new doc and updating these in the wiki should be our jobs us users since there, well, is a wiki. I'd like to come back on this later on.
    Now to list existing plugins for present OMV should be done by the OMV team. I mean, updating the supported version, change a link in OMV-extras would be done in seconds; and save an hour or more to each any newcomer!

Sync'ed 10k files / 1 gig on the LAN in minutes with syncthing plugin 1.9.2 installed on our "big monster". That is once I found out ryecoaaron is developing the plugin for OMV 2.2, and where it can be installed from (no more than 20 minutes, you know).

Now I'd like to setup our incremental backup. Coming from a working rsnapshot setup for 3 machines initiated from my desktop "server". So am lost by the rsnapshot plugin descr (« Rsnapshot can be used backup an OMV dir to another. » ) sure! eerrr while backing up the backup is cool I'll start with backing up our devices first; in the hope it'll work via with a standard rsnapshot/cron setup!!

PS: Web UI must be fine for the majority of users. Now for the standard cli doer...
    Anyone using OMV mostly via cli --saving 255 click a day?-)

True. Started to show up only last night. Rebooted and that batch of a warning seems to be gone (btw it killed my email: "suspended"!)

Who told me I'd restart the NAS times more often than a new Arch Desktop, I'd have laugh at his face, errr :/

EDIT: no more warning log since reboot last night. Thank you subzero79! Changed to SOLVED.

Hey, thanks for looking! Actually it is and seems to be doing fine --but the log line:

Will `apt purge` and check again while I'm setting up the backup (means there's nothing valuable on the fs yet)

Hi

Building our OMV based little NAS.

Script Version: 0.2.0
    Debian-Version: 7.10
    OMV-Version: 2.2.2
    openmediavault-flashmemory 1.9.2
    zswap.enabled=1

Following keeps showing up in logs :

Code
    /bin/sh: 1: folder2ram: not found

Wondering whether anyone knows possible cause before fiddling in the source trying to get a clue and solve this. Thanks!

Hi,

Building a new build on the following config:

Acer Aspire One A0751h-52Bk netbook (was babe's) from 2009
    Intel Z520 Atom "Silverthorne" 1.33 GHz TDP 2.5 Wh (gma500 "poulsbo" Intel US15W Express)
    2 gig DDR2
    SanDisk eXtreme microSD 16GB ext4 formated
    2 Momentus 2.5' SATA2 HDDs spare from 2009 and 2010, ext4 formated and plugged in via a USB 3.0 alu docking case by Inaltek.

Yeah, quite monstruous setup I know I know

With goals

1. Replace my desktop PC (present tool) for:
    - incremental backups (rsnapshot)
    - sync'ing (Syncthing)
    - remote secure access to all our text files, of which sensible data (ssh, ranger, vim)
    2. Add functionalities whenever I can do it:
    + Incremental backup from Windows machines
    + Remote filesystem from Chrome OS: Escape from the Google web
    + Media delivering (whatever the monster can deliver; NFS/SMB at least)
    + DNS cacher on the LAN

OMV setup after a week finding my way through the doc:

Code
    Script Version: 0.2.0                                                                                           
    Debian-Version: 7.10                                                                                            
    OMV-Version: 2.2.2
    i686-linux-3.2.0-4-686-pae from backports
    openmediavault-flashmemory and rsnapshot plugins from omv-extras-org-stoneburner
    Two users

Long time Linux user running mostly Arch and a total Web UI newbie, so far I found the install and setup:
    - one of the rare NAS OSes providing both x86 and x86_64 supports
    - Easy up to having the Web ui and ssh access; runs super smoothly with 0-0.2 load average on my monster as expected from a clean Debian OS
    - After what it was quite a fight: config OMV for a low-pro device device on flash memory, setup shares, find the plugins to expand OMV features, find a plugin description/README...

E.g. to list the available plugins: Plugin list in the web UI is rather short. No prob: like the main Doc (note: the link to the forum seems dead) it says OMV-Extras is logically *the* source for plugins. Ok then on the latter:

Zitat

OMV-extras.org provides third party plugins for [up to] OpenMediaVault [1.x (Kralizec)]

Tell ya I got a bit worrying until I could read ryecoaaron's post adequately titled and pinned up on the Plugins subforum.

I can report a few documentation shortages from a newcomer eyes if you don't mind a somehow franck feedback

Now back to configure incremental and secure backup of remote hosts with rsnapshot and ssh, then sync'ing data for a start.

EDIT: forgot DNS caching.