Posts by bunts

I have been using DLNA for a while and you're it doesn't care for shares. I organize my folders with a hierarchy to my liking. For example, for movies I have a rootlevel folder called movies and then underneath it I have folders for drama, comedy and children etc. When browsing on a device, it will show 2nd level folders. Similarly for pictures, I have a root folder called Photo and then individual folders by year. For music, root folder is music and then albums. Hope this helps.

I was in a similar dilemma a while back. I knew that going the route of Supermicro MB and ECC RAM would make the build expensive. This is a combination popular with folks over at FreeNAS. OMV is rather lenient in terms of hardware. I decided go with i3-4130, Gigabyte GA-H97N Mobo. and 8GB DDR3. i3 is good CPU if you would use Plex. I went with Silverstone DS380 case which is pricey but gives 8HDD and 4SSD slots. Even though I use SnapRaid for single drive failure, I would highly recommend keeping a backup.

I am not sure why you want to use Kodi if Plex works for you. There is no Kodi app for Roku. You have to remember that Kodi is a client and therefore you would need to connect your server to TV in order to get it to work. That's the reason I would avoid putting Kodi on a server virtual or otherwise. Most people just use a server for storage and nothing else and that's why it doesn't have to be power hungry or very powerful. PlexXBMC is a Kodi plugin for Plex. So you still need a client for Kodi. A good Kodi client would be a Chromebox, Intel NUC or a Raspberry Pi with OpenElec.

Personally, with 500GB of space requirements, I would put my pictures and music to Google for free. Flicr also has 1TB free for pictures and personal video. I would also consider Crashplan for the rest. Even if you are ready to build a NAS, it only offers so much protection. You cannot beat multiple backups of your data including offsite storage.

1. Plex is actually an offshoot of Kodi (or XBMC of past) and now has taken a different direction. I found Plex to be demanding in terms of hardware and has a tendency to transcode media unless it is in a specific format. Plex has a server component and can work on many devices. Kodi on the other hand has no server component and therefore requires a dedicated client. I have been running Kodi on mini PCs and a Raspberry Pi2. It just works.
    2. I would not try to run Kodi on a NAS directly. You could setup a virtual machine e.g. Windows 7 which can utilize some of the fancy features required to exploit full capability of Kodi.
    3. I use Plex on things like Apple TV or Roku where it seems to work but you need to pay attention to what video you play and if they require transcoding. Based on your CPU config, I am thinking you would be able to transcode one 1080p stream.

I would like to suggest to build a process to allow re-sizing of system drive within OMV - may be in version 3.0. I was using an SSD as a boot drive and OMV takes over the entire space after install. I was told to use gparted to re-size the system drive and free up space for data use. It works essentially but just extra steps one has to mindful. A friend of mine runs Unraid which runs fully off an USB drive and there are no data written to disk once system has booted. So, there are no concerns for frequent failures for USB drive as the case with OMV. But I really like OMV so far and going to keep it.

Most people use a nas solution for serving media. The best thing you could do first is to upload your music and photos to Google music and photo. Once that worry out of the picture, you can start building a nas and OMV is a good place to start. You already have decent hard drives and I would look for a small nas case e.g. Fractal design 304 and other components based on your budget. OMV with snapraid or raid 5 provides some protection for your data but a backup is always recommended.

:/ Forgive me for asking this question again as I see it has been asked many times in different ways. I am using a 256GB SSD as a boot and data drive. Approximately 16GB for boot and remaining for data storage. I would like to clone this to an external drive just in case. What is the best way to clone this? I am seeing suggestions such as 'dd' or clonezilla and not sure which way to go. Any preferred method? :/

The good thing is that when you create shares in the pool, you see the label and so it is not that bad. But remember, when you use the shares in any app e.g. Plex, you are presented with UUID and then shares. Once you done with shares and created samba, you rarely deal with device names or UUID.

I recently copied data using xcopy (running 10 instances simultaneously) and seemed to work fine as long as your samba share is working and you can see the shares on your windows machine. I created a xcopy script and let it run overnight. I had a hardwired connection and was able to get around 100MB/s. I am thinking your wifi is not robust enough to handle this.

Does anyone know what this kernel message is for? I have been ignoring these but they repeat so frequently that I am concerned. It is a new install of OMV 2.1.28.

kernel: [92714.476184] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: less data available than length=00000000
    kernel: [92714.476184] mei_me 0000:00:16.0: less data available than length=00000001

They are repeating messages in the system log. I use the backports kernel 3.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte H97 mini-itx with Intel NIC. :/

Ok I made the OMV IP static on my router. I have changed the Network - Interfaces to use DHCP. Now I can ping the hostname and also access the shares using the hostname. However, WebGui for both OMV and Plex still can be accessed only using the IP and not the hostname. Is there another workaround? Thank you.

I am having some trouble making Static IP work with my server.

When I originally setup the server, I was assigning the IP with DHCP. I was able to ping the server with hostname and browse my samaba shares using the hostname.

I changed to static IP as follows:

In the network interfaces,
    Static IP
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1, 8.8.8.8

I think I have the networking connectivity. However, I have lost the ability of using hostname everywhere. I cannot ping to my hostname and cannot browse to samba shares. Also, when connecting to Plex, I am forced to use the IP:32400.

What am I doing wrong?

I could use some expert advise here. There has been many threads on using the USB Flash drive or SSD for a boot drive. I am currently building a media server and booting from a Sandisk Ultra 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive. I have also installed the flash plugin. Many experts have recommended against using a flash drive for boot owing to frequent failures. So I am asking:

1) I have a spare 64GB SSD which I could use. I could use the SSD and store the data for Plex, VirtualBox images and MySQL in the pool that I have created. Is it advisable? My concern is that storing this data in the pool will keep the disks churning all the time.

2) I have a spare 500GB SSHD 2.5-inch drive. I could partition it and use the extra space for storing databases for Plex, MySQL and VirtualBox images.

Please advise which is a better way. Thank you. :)