Beiträge von bvrulez

I got this error with apt upgrade. Probably not related to OMV, though:

Ok, thanks!

I will use this thread to put in all the errors I might get.

When installing the WOL plugin I got:

Code
    Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to read from socket: Connection reset by peer in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:172
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call()
    #1 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #2 {main}

EDIT: Doing it a second time worked fine.

I did a fresh install and recognised that the website gets reloaded often and I have to re-login or I am out of my menu and on the general page. Is this something to expect from the momentary development stage? Or should I be able to use OMV6 in production also, just with some minor bugs?

For example if I install a plugin and click "close" the site reloads and I am out of the plugins menu.

You have to install omv-extras to get additional plugins

I thought so, but I did not see such an option. Is omv-extras not a plugin itself? it was not shown.

Also, I tried to build a USB stick with OMV5 but the installer is saying that no kernel module was found. I tried two times now, writing this ISO (5.6.13) with Etcher on a Mac (which never fails and also did the other installers fine!). Don't know what is wrong. I was able to install OMV6 via the same way (same laptop, same process of generating the ISO, just another ISO) and never got this missing kernel error.

I finally managed to install OMV6 to a USB and disabled Secure Boot so I am able to check it out.

I seems to provide SSH access right away! Awesome!

However, I noticed that there are just a handfull of plugins availlable. Especially not the flashmemory plugin. Should all plugins be availlable? Or should I just use OMV5 instead?

Why is it so hard to get this working? If it does not persist changes then it is useless because I would have to set ip tables and root password eacht time after plugging the stick in...

I need a USB stick that provides SSH login on boot when plugged into a non-working system. It is weird that I have so much trouble setting this up. This is a normal usecase. There should be prepared ISOs that come with this setup.

I am currently investigating if OMV6 will provide this but also in this case I seem to need an extra plugin (if I got the message of some other user in the beginning of this thread right).

Thanks! I added the iptables rules according to your link. I had to use systemctl restart sshd.service instead of the command listed there. Still no connection.

I checked the correct IP with ip a.

sshd_config is large. I try to grasp all uncommented lines:

Code
    PermitRootLogin yes

AllowUsers root

AuthorizedKeys File .ssh/authorized_keys
    PermitEmptyPasswords no
    KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
    UsePAM yes
    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/ssh/sftp-server

Also, I wonder if SystemRescue is persisting changes for the next time I boot it up. When I logged in on the system itself with ssh localhost I had to accept the fingerprint again, although I already did this yesterday.

It might depend on exactly what you need to use this rescue USB stick for, but there may be better choices than an OMV installation on USB.

SystemRescueCD on a USB stick might offer more tools.

https://www.system-rescue.org/…ue-on-a-USB-memory-stick/

I tried this but I am unable to SSH in using root. I set passwd on the rescue system and I am able to log in to it using ssh root@localhost but from another machine it just hangs:

Code
    B-iMac:~ ben$ ssh -vvv root@192.168.100.179
    OpenSSH_7.8p1, LibreSSL 2.6.2
    debug1: Reading configuration data /Users/ben/.ssh/config
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 48: Applying options for *
    debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.100.179 is address
    debug2: ssh_connect_direct
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.100.179 [192.168.100.179] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.100.179 port 22: Operation timed out
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.100.179 port 22: Operation timed out

If you knew this might be needed on your system, you could add a generic netplan config for dhcp that would match any network adapter:

Code
    network:
      version: 2
      renderer: networkd
      ethernets:
        net0:
          match:
            name: e*
          dhcp4:yes

Awesome! Can you provide some more information how I am supposed to edit this into the system of the OMV6 on my USB stick?

( Regarding the other posts: of course my server has a dedicated IP from the router. But this NIC thing is new to me.)

What happens if the OMV on USB you are using on a headless machine doesn't have the correct network interface setup for that machine? If it's headless and you don't have out of band (like ipmi) way to see the console, how do you see anything?

I don't know. This was the problem I immediately saw when installing OMV6 on the stick. So, Zoki s answer is wrong in that regard, right? But what exactly is the "network interface setup"? I mean does it go for a specific hardware?

On the other hand the OMV6 stick I just generated did not boot up my old Acer E3-111 where I generated it - due to Secure Boot. I am actually not able to change Secure Boot in the BIOS, it seems. I have no clue whether this will also be an issue on the server. I mean I can find out by putting a monitor on. :) But it is always a hassle. It is a tower with 9 drives in it which is laying on a high board on the top of my flat's hallway. I usually take a stairway and hold the monitor while also holding the keyboard...

never worked with qemu, but if the question is: Is the OMV ISO bootable, the answer is yes.

Thanks! Yes, I know it's bootable I just wanted to find out why/if qemu works. Also, I wonder if installing to a USB stick on another machine will work. Or do I need to run the installer from the server I want to use the USB on? Because my server is headless I would like to prepare the stick on another linux.

Sometimes my OMV does not boot and then I need to attach a monitor to find out what is wrong. For several days I now tried to build a Live USB stick with SSH to use as an emergency boot medium.

It seems not to be so straightforward. Normal live systems do not persist changes. But to use it on a headless machine I need the live system to have SSH enabled. That's why I tried to make a persistant installation live system. This worked out but it is extremely slow. Maybe it's due to my slow stick.

I just wonder how do you cope with this? What is your emergency strategy if the server does not boot up?

I intentionally moved a lot of files from one folder to another one in my Snapraid setup. The second folder is on a USB disk (which is part of the Snapraid). I wonder why I got error messages regarding the missing files on the next sync. Is there a threshold after which there will be error messages? Because otherwise I would expect an error message for every single file that gets deleted (intentionally). Or is it due to the fact that I moved the files and that I moved them to a USB disk? I already know that due to the USB connection the Snapraid will be unable to recognize moves.

From this question and the answer by frostschutz I know that it should be possible to configure long smart tests that are partial. Is there a way to set this up in openmediavault? First and foremost, is `smartd` running with `--savestates` and can I manually configure extra functionality on the command line in addition to the GUI setup?

PS: The question/answer might be old, but I got a recent reply from the guy and he still uses it this way.

BTW: I am trying to do this because the smart test I did with a 14 GB USB drive (Elements) did not finish. After it failed due to `aborted by host` at 90% to go for the first time I used a skript to keep the disk awake. But it did still leave the last `10%` unfinished for several hours.

Also, can you please remove the moving bell from the forum website? A red icon is enough.