g13092 Beginner

• Male
  • from southern wisconsin
  • Member since Apr 19th 2020
  • Last Activity:
Reactions Received
Profile Hits
  • g13092

Reacted with Thanks to crashtest’s post in the thread OMV 5.x backup my backup.
    Reaction (Post)
    (Quote from g13092)

Thinking about stuff that's stored outside of the typical locations in Windows, you might want to look at where your mail profiles/data is stored. Being able to restore e-mail to a new machine is kind of important.

Other workstation…
  • g13092

Reacted with Like to KM0201’s post in the thread OMV 5.x backup my backup.
    Reaction (Post)
    (Quote from g13092)

Understandable.. :)

My HC2 is behind my Mom's entertainment center, wired to her router. I'm honestly not even sure she knows it is there and if she does, she probably thinks it's something her provider put there. I actually used to do…
  • g13092

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x backup my backup.
    crashtest - excellent feedback and explanation. Thanks for going into such depth. I DO have 4 windows workstations. I guess I didn't realize the dedup process went that deep.
    (Quote from crashtest)

Very fair point. I had always played it ultra…
  • g13092

Reacted with Haha to mat-m’s post in the thread OMV 5.x Must manually select boot drive each restart.
    Reaction (Post)
    I don't know why, but BIOS is not able to switch to more than one HDD.
    As I said in my previous message, you need to tell it which one hosts the boot sector. It assumes it is the first one by default which is a good behaviour.
    but we, geeks, are not using…
  • g13092

Posted the thread OMV 5.x backup my backup.
    Thread
    I regularly backup the media and documents stored on my server to a portable HD, and then take it offsite. I rotate a few portables into this mix, so I'm mostly following the 3-2-1 rule. Recently I realized that the backups of the windows PCs I run via…
  • g13092

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x Must manually select boot drive each restart.
    Well, I should delete this thread. Feeling pretty silly for as long as I've been goofing around with computers....

In this pic

you can see the kingston is not even available as a boot drive in the priority list. Yet, I could select it from the bios boot…
  • g13092

I'll be rebooting sometime this weekend. I'll try to grab some screens to show how the bios is set. I've messed around with various boot order combinations. Also, the drive is direct connected to the first SATA port, not via usb.

Thanks!
  • g13092

Hi KM0201. I did do update-grub. It completed without error, but did not boot automatically at reboot.
  • g13092

Thread
    I recently moved my system drive over to an ssd. Like a dummy, I bought an ssd a little smaller than the original system drive. After a bunch of goofing around with clonezilla, I was able to get the machine running on the ssd, but with one exception -…