guillaume2014 Student

• Member since May 28th 2020
  • Last Activity:
Profile Hits
  • wow , it s not plug and play ;-)

many manipulation to do ....

so , i will take a nap , ....and take a look later : -)

for mant years i ve used freeNas distro , but for the professional side , it s too "heavy" ...

not for home use .....

omv seems perfect !

if i can put (i m think it s possible because it s a linux distro (i prefer the redhat's ones ..) , for torrenting my familly and cats movies , it s will be .... fabulous !

:-)

• Yes, there is a learning curve for docker. But once you know how it is working it is very handy.

My preferred method to use it is with docker-compose files. You can run those files from CLI, but you can also use them in Portainer directly.

There are some guides in the guide section.

For many container there are prepared docker-compose files on hub.docker.com or on git.

In most case you just need to change the path to your folder on the drives.

As alternative, as you mentioned, OMV is based on Debian. So in principle you can do anything with OMV you can do on Debian. You are free to install software alongside OMV from CLI. But be aware that this might result in some conflicts (always good to have a backup).

One of the common conflicts is ports. For example OMV is listening on ports 80 and 443. Many other applications do the same.

Another one is dependencies.

That is the advantage of docker. The container are pretty much isolated from the operating system. No conflicts (at least they can be easily fixed) and no dependency issues.

• it s a good point of view ....

isolation of the main os , .... like zone or containers in Solaris ...

but not a real hardware isolation :-) ....