mervincm Student

• Male
  • from Alberta, Canada
  • Member since Jul 24th 2020
  • Last Activity:
Reactions Received
Profile Hits
  • mervincm

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x VPN Stack OPMV 5.

No problem. OMV is a fun platform to play with.
    I can't wait till they rev that haugene container and allow us to add our own vpn config files. I only have a limited VPN account and I can't access the range that is included for my…
  • mervincm

OK I just deleted the stack, cut and pasted the text and its working, not sure what happened .. maybe I was not careful in volume cleanup? ..
  • mervincm

OK something weird is going on. since mine is only in a lab for now, I redeployed this and I have the same issue as you. I can't connect to any of the apps in the container any more. I will let you know if I can determine why.
  • mervincm

I am not sure. I use this container in a modified form as I have a different VPN provider, I wanted watch folders and wanted another app (sabnzbd). I believe the idea of this one was to make sure that every one of these apps only accesses the Internet…
  • mervincm

• You really only need to make a single SMB share in SAMBA, it could be root of everything you access. You really don't need to open access to more of your server than that.

PS there are changes on the client side as well. Windows 10 now, by default,…
  • mervincm

It could be as simple as a short from 5v to ground in the SSD. You are not using another power connector or and extender with the new ssd that was not used with the old one are you? I have seen this in cheap sata power splitters, folks…
  • mervincm

Reaction (Post)
    from the command line, login as root and then type <omv-firstaid>
  • mervincm

Replied to the thread laptop.
    Lastly, I managed to find a nic that the boot/install process does not support, (a realtek 2.5GB NIC)
    So I decided to try an install with that as the only NIC. Right away it told me it didn't find a compatible NIC and to chose the driver for the network…
  • mervincm

OK, I repeated the install, this time with nothing plugged into my network port, to simulate what happens when there is no path to the DHCP server.
    The install proceeded as before, but instead of asking me for the hostname, I now got a notification that…
  • mervincm

OK I just installed a fresh disk and put the latest OMV ISO on a USB boot. I told my bios to boot from USB and it did. I selected the language/KB option and it got to the point it attempts DHCP and I got a message it was successful and it is asking me…
  • mervincm

I will dig out a couple disks and download the latest omv.iso, perhaps i can simulate what you see.
  • mervincm

MIMO errors are related to wireless connections, so thats not related to your issue.
  • mervincm

You will not have an http proxy. That is typically for a corporate environment that does not provide a direct path out to the Internet.
    leave it blank is correct.

If your laptop has a healthy network connection on your local network, you should be able to…
  • mervincm

Once the install is done, you will know if DHCP was the issue, and if manual ip config was the solution! I hope you are right. Next you will likely find that you used up your 500GB drive for OMV install, but one problem at a time :)
  • mervincm

Not sure if this helps, but with that container, those apps will not connect till the vpn connects successfully, that's my experience anyway.
  • mervincm

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. DHCP is enabled as per your screen shot, and DHCP is pretty bullet proof. When it does not work, I would always start with the physical layer. Are you positive it is plugged in all the way on both the laptop NIC and on…
  • mervincm

Can you go into your comcast modem/router's portal and then DHCP server and see if it assigned your laptop's ethernet nic an ip address? it should list a mac address and ip address pairing that you can then compare to the mac of your laptop's ethernet…
  • mervincm

I bet you are going down the wrong path looking for an older install. Make sure you are using cabled Ethernet, not wireless WiFi, this solution, by design, is not WiFi friendly.
  • mervincm

Replied to the thread Kudos to OMV developers !.
    agreed! I am still playing with it on a spare system, but so far it's excellent. Community seems to be excellent as well, folks are willing to help without the snark that has crept into some NAS communities. its given me exactly what I was looking for, a…