sokol Beginner

• Member since Jul 25th 2020
Profile Hits
  • sokol

Finally succeeded in restoring the system with fresh install avoided!

1) First of all one has to restore GPT table using, for example, sgdisk tool. Then fsarchiver tool has to be applied to both boot and main partitions accordingly to the archive…
  • sokol

Do you think it will solve my issue with grub boot loader?
  • sokol

I found even more elegant solution using the sgdisk tool. It easily backups/restores GUID Partition Table disks. It contains only 18KBytes of data. It allowed me to restore the partition table, but further applying fsarchiver
  • sokol

Is there any way to backup missing chunks for UEFI manually? I'm using an x86 motherboard, not a RPi.

(Quote from ryecoaaron)

Yes, my SSD is 240GB, so ddfull occupies around 190GB and takes a lot of time to finish the job. Since…
  • sokol

I confirm such behavior of the restore process as well. I wasn't be able to boot even after successful grub installation and update all entries. dd of .grubparts does not create correct partitioning. Maybe it is because my installation…
  • sokol

My friends, I do believe there is a small misunderstanding. I think I was not clear enough when was asking for an advice especially with the filesystem that supports snapshots. I already have one which is btrfs. I found…
  • sokol

Correct, and in the first answer we read: "In 2016, Btrfs RAID-6 should not be used." I've already seen this post before, that is why I am uncertain of whether it is ok at 2020 to perform such thing. I think I've already explained why…
  • sokol

Ok, it is clear now about the controller, which is supposed to be capable to work in IT/HBA mode. What about partition configuration of the disks itself? Does anyone have any other thought or suggestion? Is it ok to create RAID 6 array with btrfs…
  • sokol

That's funny, but I've also got an eye on this card today :)
    After reading other sources I realize exactly what you said about risks when controller is interfering with the OS. So I decided to find a proper replacement for a…
  • sokol

Yes, I think I activated Single disk option for all disks. So I assume, that in this case any hardware problem with the raid controller will automatically make all data unreadable unless I use the same card, correct?

What are the…
  • sokol

The firmware has the latest version. At the moment I'm ok with the card limitation, since my main drives are 2TB. For future upgrade I'll consider a more modern card with HBA/IT support.

geaves
    (Quote from geaves)

This is what I see in the WebGui.

I…
  • sokol

Did not get it completely. So, in case of a hardware RAID when the controller is taking care of array and the OS recognizes it as one disk, it would be a problem to restore data due to necessity to use the same card? Or even in my case…
  • sokol

(Quote from geaves)

Actually my controller has an option to sent me emails on failures or possible problems. So it can be an alternative to have a fully functional WebGui monitor software. Yes, it is not the best but, at…