StanleyAccrington Beginner

• Member since Jul 31st 2020
  • Last Activity:
Reactions Received
Profile Hits
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread OMV 5.x Docker Volumes.
    Thread
    I created a mariadb docker container on raspberrypi. Automatically a docker volume for the database data was created. This volume resides in /var/lib/docker/volumes/
    Since filesystem directory root is located on a partition of the sd card, the database is…
  • StanleyAccrington

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x Connection between filesystem and disc.
    I think the answer is the filesytem table /etc/fstab

This has been edited by OMV and ties my fs identifier /dev/disk/by-label/Data to the mount point for that file /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data .
    So when the fs is mounted, the system knows which fs it is,…
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread OMV 5.x Connection between filesystem and disc.
    Thread
    I understand that if I label my filesystem Data, then, on boot, the physical disk is identified as dev/sda the partition on it is sda1 and a symlink to /dev/sda1 is created in /dev/disk/by-label/Data
    Thus persistent block device naming.
    Then when the fs…
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread resolved Docker volume filesystem overlay.
    Thread
    I have created a docker container on piwigo image. If I switch into the container using docker exec -it bash, I can see the container's filesystem. It seems to me that this is an overlay of the host's filesystem so that in the container directories
  • StanleyAccrington

Replied to the thread resolved OMV 5.x Creating directories in OMV filesystem.

Doesn't the fact that you can point a shared folder at an existing folder on the filesystem mean you must know what the exiting filesystem is called? And, since it isn't yet a shared folder, you can't see it from…
  • StanleyAccrington

As you can see, I am a beginner, so I am just trying to understand.
    It seems that OMV does create folders via the 'add shared folders'. These are folders as children of /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data/
    They appear in the linux directory hierarchy whether they…
  • StanleyAccrington

I accept that OMV is a NAS and must obviously use shared folders, otherwise it wouldn't work. My comments were to do with structuring the linux filesystem. OMV contains a tool to mount a filesystem but no tool to create the directory structure inside it…
  • StanleyAccrington

Ah, yes. So is OMV designed to be a Windows GUI into Linux to avoid using cli.
    I am not criticising since I like OMV but I think it is much better than that, and shouldn't rely on Windows.
  • StanleyAccrington

Thank you. Who is the user who creates folders if I use explorer - root? Is it better to use Windows to create folders rather than going directly to bash.
    Also I don't particularly want to create shares for my filesystem.
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread resolved OMV 5.x Creating directories in OMV filesystem.
    Thread
    Having mounted the filesystem using Webui, is logging on to ssh and using mkdir the only way I can create a directory structure?
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread OMV 5.x Volumes or Bind Mounts in piwigo Docker.
    Thread
    I have installed piwigo in a docker container using portainer. I had no problem with mariadb but I am confused by the volume/bind mount to use in piwigo.
    Before creating the piwigo container, I created a volume called piwigo_data. Then, when creating the…
  • StanleyAccrington

Thread
    Running Portainer on OMV raspberry pi. My filesystem was mounted using OMV with mount point /srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxxx/
    Created piwigo container with bind mount for the photos in the /sharedfolders directory.

When I tried to create a share so that I…
  • StanleyAccrington

Replied to the thread OMV 4.x Portainer templates.
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread OMV 4.x Portainer templates.
    Thread
    When I click on App Templates and Select a category, no categories to select and Search says No templates available. Similarly with Custom Templates. Returning to App Templates displays message Failure. Unable to retrieve templates.
    I am running on…
  • StanleyAccrington

Posted the thread OMV 5.x MiniDLNA.
    Thread
    I have a raspberryPI 4, OMV 5 with MiniDLNA server. I also have a Windows10 PC running a DLNA server. The DLNA clients I use are my smart TV using a wired ethernet connection and Firestick using a wi-fi connection. All on the same network.
    I have set the…