cubemin Beginner

• Male
  • from Ohio, USA
  • Member since Nov 28th 2020
  • Last Activity:
Reactions Received
Profile Hits
  • cubemin

Replied to the thread Running emby on OMV5.
    I had the same issue. To fix it, I went to Access Rights Management/Shared Folders in the OMV web GUI, selected the shared folder containing my Emby libraries, clicked the ACL button and then checked the user/group permission boxes for read/write next to…
  • cubemin

Reaction (Post)
    I really liked Freenas (when Volker was there).. I could never warm up to BSD, but I could get the basic stuff done. When Volker left, iX took over, etc... it was such a mess I switched to using Ubuntu Server. It wasn't easy, but I got through it and…
  • cubemin

Reaction (Post)
    So I just wanted to share my opinion. I have tried most of the freely available DIY NAS server OSes out there, and I keep going back to OMV. I'll be honest, I'm more of a noob when it comes to Linux / Unix as I just recently reminded myself. Most of the…
  • cubemin

Aktualisierungsverwaltung means update management. :)

(I'm a German native.)
  • cubemin

Reaction (Post)
    Thats really a general Linux question than an OMV question. That said I've used Linux as my only OS at home for years and I have never went out of my way to upgrade my kernel, unless it was documented to solve some problem I was having.

Unless it's going…
  • cubemin

Reacted with Thanks to ryecoaaron’s post in the thread OMV 5.x ISOs in /boot folder.
    Reaction (Post)
    Yep, you can delete the ISOs. To really remove them correctly, remove the following files (if you are deleting the ISOs):

/etc/grub.d/42_clonezilla
    /etc/grub.d/42_sysresccd
    /etc/grub.d/42_gpartedlive

And then run: update-grub
  • cubemin

Reacted with Thanks to ryecoaaron’s post in the thread OMV 5.x resolved cockpit package failed to update.
    Reaction (Post)
    (Quote from cubemin)

Yep. I didn't think it was that good but it was very simple (not flexible enough in my opinion).

(Quote from cubemin)

Yep. omvextras 5.4.3 that I just uploaded won't try to install cockpit-docker anymore.
  • cubemin

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x Reduce md array check.
    Edited /etc/cron.d/mdadm and replaced 57 0 * * 0 with 56 23 * * 2 (Tuesday at 11:56 p.m.).

Then issued
    (Code, 2 lines)

to limit resync speeds to between 40MB/s and 120MB/s.

Guess I'll find out how well it works on February 2nd. :)
  • I'm an absolute beginner with OpenMediaVault. But if you unterstand the concept behind OMV you will get used to it. The OMV Web UI is somewhat basic compared to the QNAP Web UI. But after a while this turns out as an advantage of the openmediavault…
  • (Quote from DonKracho)

Hmm. I had a QNAP until recently and I had one HBS3 sync job covering multiple shares. Pretty sure you can add more than one share via rsync, too. Check again if you missed something like a "+" button or similar?

(Not wanting to take…
  • cubemin

Posted the thread OMV 5.x ISOs in /boot folder.
    Thread
    If I want to remove Clonezilla, etc. from my OMV system, is it safe to simply SSH in and delete the .iso images in the /boot folder? Or will that potentially mess up GRUB?
  • cubemin

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x resolved cockpit package failed to update.
    So, wait - let me just get this straight.

Cockpit used to have a Docker plugin? (I never really paid attention as I use Cockpit to manage VMs and Portainer to manage Docker containers).

I installed all the updates from the OMV web GUI except the…
  • cubemin

Reacted with Like to ryecoaaron’s post in the thread OMV 5.x Reduce md array check.
    Reaction (Post)
    (Quote from cubemin)

Bad assumption on my part.
  • cubemin

Hmm, earlier you stated that OMV will revert any edits to that file.
    I will play with it and see what happens.
  • cubemin

Thread
    I'm thinking about using sedutil to encrypt the SSD that I have OMV installed on. It's a Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVME m.2 drive with two partitions (system and one with a shared folder on it).

My goal: to have data-at-rest protection so that when the server…
  • cubemin

Reaction (Post)
    I'd really like this capability too. I've set up OMV on a relative's NAS but he I am scared he will mess something up. A toggle button that says "hide system disks" and "hide system partitions" in the disks and file systems view would be perfect.
  • cubemin

Replied to the thread Nicotine+ / Soulseek update.
    Yes, definitely. I think you can get away with allocating just 3GB or even 2GB to the VM. I use 4GB because I can ;) but the VM (as well as Nicotine+) aren't using much RAM at all.
  • cubemin

Are you sure your two rsync processes are for the same job?
  • cubemin

* bump* Another resync getting in my way on a Sunday. I really, really would like to be able to change the resync schedule (without OMV changing it back).

Not necessarily to reduce its frequency, but to move it to a better time, say, a weekday early…
  • cubemin

Reaction (Post)
    (Quote from cubemin)

Yes, exactly that was my solution, too. I´m so happy with OMV!