gderf Enlightened

• Male
  • from SE Florida USA
  • Member since Jul 27th 2015
  • Last Activity:
Reactions Received
Profile Hits
  • gderf

I don't use VMs here so I have no suggestions about that.

root doesn't own a single file on my system it doesn't need to. What is your use case that needs that?
  • gderf

That's how I do it here. My regular unprivileged user runs all my dockers and owns all the files they talk to.
  • gderf

You should also add that user to the docker group. You may want to talk to docker in the shell someday.
  • gderf

You don't say if Emby is running on the same machine as the files and folders you want it to be able to delete.

What user owns your media files and folders. What is the complete list of permissions on such a typical file and folder?

Emby must be running as…
  • gderf

I don't know where that suggestion came from that results in using PUID=998 to run containers, but I disagree with it strongly.

You didn't create user 998. That is the OMV admin user.
  • gderf

Adding a user doesn't make a process run as that user or change filesystem permissions.

I suggest not using ACLs unless you really understand what they do.

You still didn't answer my question.
  • gderf

What do you mean by "a samba share controlled by OMV server"?

The short answer is: The user the Emby process runs as must have write permission on the files that are to be deleted.
  • gderf

You'll need to get some basic Linux skills under your belt. Google for answers to questions like that.

Saying where you got something doesn't say what it is. What are the PUID and PGID you used? If you didn't create that user yourself you…
  • gderf

The vast majority of problems seen with things like Emby and Plex involve not having the correct filesystem permissions on the media files and folders such that the user the container runs as can access them.

I would avoid using symlinks unless you are…
  • gderf

The process to upgrade an OMV 4 to OMV 5 is not complicated, if it works. There have been some problems but workarounds have been identified.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread CPU Upgrade Question.
    Transcoding can be extremely CPU intensive.

You need to research CPU PassMark ratings vs type and number of simultaneous transcodes you will do.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread Wondering if OMV is right for me.
    Using the root account for everything is a bad idea. Create an ordinary user and if you need elevated privileges use sudo or su to root.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread CPU Upgrade Question.
    Are you concerned about the hardware CPU swap being compatible with the motherboard? Ask the motherboard maker for a list of compatible CPUs.

If you are concerned about the software being compatible, don't be.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread Need snapraid help.
    Not sure why you think the documentation is lacking. AFAIK everything you would need to know about the software is there. They have their own forum too.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread Need snapraid help.
    Read the SnapRAID documentation for how to recover failed drives or lost files.
  • gderf

If there is no existing docker data, then just enter the absolute path to the existing directory you have set up for this in the Docker Storage box.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread resolved OMV 5.x How to tuning SMB/CIFS for TimeMachine ?.

I have no idea, I don't use TM.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread resolved OMV 5.x How to tuning SMB/CIFS for TimeMachine ?.
    I have no Windows machines here, only Linux. So I use NFS.
  • gderf

Replied to the thread OMV 5.x USB OS Drive very hot.
    Swap might be written to unless it is disabled. You should try disabling it per the instructions and leave it that way unless you have inadequate RAM for your use case and it repeatedly crashes due to insufficient memory.

Install the…
  • gderf

I seem to remember that there were no extra options at all when I started playing with this. But what you have in there shouldn't break anything.