Install OMV on a Compact Flash card.

• Hello,
    Is it possible to install OMV on a CF card via an adapter IDE to CF ?
    I read that it is not recommanded to install OMV on a USB stick for fiability reason.
    It's the same thing on a CF card ?

Thank you. :)

• Iro, my initial setup was on a CF card mounted in the IDE slot. Unfortunately, after a couple of months the system started hanging unexpectedly. As soon as I migrated the data from the CF to a standard IDE drive, the problems disappeared.

Strange enough, the CF card doesn't seem to have any defects - I ran a quick test on it. But there might be something wrong there that I didn't discover yet.

CFs are also Flash chips, just in a different package/interface than USB (and usually a lot faster, too). They suffer from the same risk of burn-out, unlike SSDs with TRIM function. And consider that OMV is frequently modifying files on the system disk - at least the log files which grow constantly, and the traffic/load/etc. graphs which get overwritten every 5 minutes. Yes, most likely the same memory cells will be used over and over and over again, until they burn out after some thousands of uses.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!