questions regarding OMV on VMWare

• Hi,

I currently test OMV 3.8 on a small single-disk system for a while now and am quite happy with functionality and stability.

I now plan on moving to a "production system" for more capacity, resilience and perfomrance. I have a quite powerful multi-core computer with 32 GB RAM available and would like to use it for other stuff also.

So, before wasting too much time going a way not feasible :) my questions are:
    Does anyone have experience with using OMV on a VMWare host? My plan would be to pass the disks intended for data directly through to OMW instead of using virtual disks.
    Any recommendations in regards to VMWare configuration (number of vCPU, VMWare tools, etc.)?

Thank you for any feedback!

• Hi,

the good thing about OMV is, that it is a plain debian linux distro with some addons. That means you can simply deploy it in a VMware environment and also can easily deploy the vmware tools.

A VM with 2 vCPUs and 4GB of RAM should be sufficient, if you have a normal powerfull CPU and using OMV simply as a file server or with some minor plugins (like any P2P network etc.) you also my try one CPU first.
    Then install OMV on your root disk (I would use a vmdk here).
    Then install the compiler environment required to compile the vmware tools.
    Then install and configure the vmware tools as allways in any linux environment.
    Then provide OMV with the raw disks and configure as normal.

I am not sure if this is the best way to setup a OMV, cause you simply would burn lots of energy for running this powerfull machine all time. The benefit of a small dedicated system would be, that it is much more energy efficient then a large PC/Server and will do the job anyhow (like the N40L from HP).

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Hi,

This sounds promising indeed and what I had in mind to do.

Installing the system on a small vmdk, using raw disks for the data. No need to provide for VMotion etc. in this single server setup at home.

As the server will be running 24x7 anyways due to the other uses I have in mind I would very much like not to spend additional money for dedicated NAS hardware and its additional energy consumption (well, except for the disks that is and maybe a good RAID controller). Experience will show whether the load of the NAS will interfere with the other services.

• I have OMV running on VMWare ESXi 5. Runs like a charm. Virtual on a vmdk. Disks passed through as raw devices. RAID5 in OMV. LVM on top of that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!