SMART self tests and Autoshutdown

• Hi,

I configured my NAS to shutdown if none of my devices are online in the network any more. There is no forced uptime.I want to set up daily SMART short self tests and weekly SMART long self tests for all my HDDs.

1) Will scheduled SMART tests be performed on system startup, if the system was shut down during the schedule?
    2) If that's not the case I could probably schedule the tests during times to which the system will most likely be powered on. However, long self tests can take up to several hours. What happens if the system shuts down during such a self test? Will the HDD continue performing the test as soon it is powered on again?

Best,
    Aiakos

• In order to test my data drives I set up long SMART tests as I mentioned above (weekly @ Sat 0:00 am). To test if everything works well without Autoshutdown I disabled it, so that the NAS is currently running 24/7. I have two data drives: 3 TB WD Green (2 years old) and 4 TB Seagate NAS HDD (brand new).

According to the self test log of the drives the tests were triggered successfully and the HDDs began self testing. However, both of the data drives report "Extended offline: Interrupted (host reset)" for the scheduled SMART test as results. What does this mean and what could have caused it?

Please find the self test log of the Seagte drive below. I have no reason to believe that the NAS rebooted during the night.

Code
    SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 1  Extended offline    Self-test routine in progress 90%       112         -
    # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%       100         -
    # 3  Extended offline    Interrupted (host reset)      70%        90         -
    # 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%        76         -
    # 5  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%        36         -

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!