NAS mix - low cost, low energy

• This won't sound pretty, but here we go.
    I use bunch of WD Red 3TB HDDs. First HDD is pluged-in to Banana Pi (luks encrpyted), Second on my wokring PC Bitlocked, somehow backing up data of the one on Banan Pi.
    And couple more - Third and Fourth - 3TB HDDs on pc in living room with movies on it - not backed up.

Rock64 got my attention based on obvious reasons but also as 4K player, then I have decided to get rid of on "monster" in my house - a desktop pc in living room. Also I'm reconsidering ASUS Tinker Board for 4K playback.... I keep researching...
    What concerns me more is where couple 3TB drives will go from living room...

It looks like I am going to have one device with 3 HDDs in it.
    A second device will run rsync server to backup important data from First to Second HDD. (btw fifth hdd backup offsite not mentioned...).

I would like to tidy things up somehow. Not to make it even more complicated... And FINALLY make it whole automatic.
    I like that I'm running Banana Pi 24/7 and not be bothered about energy consumption. My guess is my NAS build would have similar characteristics. Any recommendations for low cost, low energy, mixed HDD NAS for three HDDs?
    I just mention here Helios4 kick-starter which got into my attention but I don't know how far it is... Or something "bigger" (not ARM)?

• Something like this is worth a consideration: My "bottom drawer" NAS while I personally would still prefer ARM and spinning down disks when not needed (since I like 'less than 2W idle consumption' a lot more than ~20W).

Anyway: the 'problem' with 3.5" HDD is that they need both 5V and 12V (with 2.5" HDDs and a good 5V/2A PSU + ARM board you're already set). Then 3.5" HDD usually have an enormous spin-up peak consumption of up to 2A on the 12V rail. And then PSUs usually are pretty inefficient in low load situations (especially below 20% of the rated capacity). In other words: operating 3 3.5" HDD as a JBOD could be done with a highly efficient 30W PSU while spinning them up all at the same time requires an 80W PSU which will later run at below 40% rated capacity).

Checking skills level to implement sane 'staggered spin up' (possible with 'average disks' only when you control their powering so you need at least MOSFETs/relays to control their spin-up behaviour) and the need to build an enclosure I would most probably simply choose a HP Microserver for convenience and data integrity (ECC DRAM). Most probably I would search for a used N54L to avoid the usual hassles with bleeding edge hardware.

• Thanks tkaiser. I got better idea now of whole picture what I got. Basically running more TeraBytes of HDDs cost more. I had a look on HP N54L - nice little server, but after calculations, I'm already considering it NOT to run it 24/7 cause power consumption which might be about 50W up, which is quite still low for server but not enough for me.
    I think I might hide my old "monster in the closet" (about 110W consumption) and run it on demand as Secondary NAS - backup & media. Primary NAS would be Rock64 with one HDD. But I reconsider hassle to sell it and swap for N54L.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!