Noob: SMB works, NFS worth it?

• I use NTFS file system so I can transfer videos from windows machine to external HDD. I use external HDD with raspi running openmediavault. I try to connect to odroid xu4 running kodi in ubuntu via NFS, but it is too complicated to configure and I cant configure kodi to connect via NFS to raspi. However, SMB through OMV works fine and playback seems smooth even with x265. Is it worth wasting more time to connect via NFS or just stay with what works? ?(

• What's the point of a NAS if you have to swap drives between machines? You're using the wrong hardware for the wrong use case.

A NAS is Network Attached Storage. You are not supposed to remove the drives to transfer data. You transfer data over the Network. Of course, that means that a NAS needs a proper network interface, so you shouldn't use a RPi.

Why not just plug the external drive into your Kodi machine and transfer files directly over SMB or FTP ?

• The main issue for me is the odroid xu4 cant even power external HDDs when it is under heavy load. It can decode x265, but it can't keep the drive powered (the drive clicks). The RPI worked perfectly with USB-powered external HDD, but it isn't powerful enough to decode x265, afaik. I have a power adapter on the way for an existing USB hub, so I am just trying out turning the RPI into a NAS in the meantime. I found OMV iso for RPI and I thought it's a cool idea and worth a try. I could run a file sharing server on this pc, but I'd rather make use of a spare RPI that consumes less electricity than a gaming machine.

My main question is if I have 2 cheap/weak computers and I want to stream media from one (RPI NAS) to the other (odroid HTPC) over wifi, does it matter which sharing protocol I use? I don't want to stress the CPUs or microsd cards any more than is necessary. Thanks. :saint:

• The main issue for me is the odroid xu4 cant even power external HDDs when it is under heavy load

This is called 'Ohm's law' or undervoltage: https://forum.odroid.com/viewt…&t=27548&start=50#p196805

The XU4 can provide up to 1.5A on the USB3 ports so your PSU is simply providing an input voltage too low or the USB cable between XU4 and your disk enclosure has a resistance too high.

You should join the discussion in ODROID forum or even open a new issue just that Hardkernel folks start to realize how much of a problem this is (people not aware of voltage drops that cause all sorts of issues).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!