Clueless on how to setup inbound connections with IPv6

• Hi,

I’m having problems setting up inbound connections to Raspberry Pi 3 OMV box. I am not very tech savvy, so please, bear with me:

I had set up my OVM RaspPi server with OpenVPN and duckdns and it worked perfectly. The router (192.168.0.1) forward the required ports to my PI (192.168.0.2) which had a cron script to update duckdns every 5 seconds.

Then I moved to another place and the connection stopped working. After a bit of research I found other users of the same ISP I use complaining about not being able to setup incoming connections as well, and as I could gather from the discussions, it had something to do with my ISP setting IPV4 with fake addresses or something like that (I guess double NAT?).

So I thought that if my dynamic IPv4 address was “compromised”, maybe I could sort my problem with IPv6. The router my ISP gave to me is a Arris TG1692 and it seems to have all the settings required by IPv6. I also checked my public IPv6 address to check if my ISP was already using it and it seemed to be working as well.

So my idea was that if I could link an IPv6 do a dnds, the incoming packets would this time reach my router and would then be routed internally to my IPv4 LAN.

The problem is: I don’t have a clue on how to work with IPv6!

My router has 3 settings under “Lan Settings IPV6”:

• IP Address V6 – it is an editable textbox with a pre-entered IPv6 address which would enable me to alter the IP address if not for the fact that no matter what I type there, after clicking “Apply” I get a message stating “IP address must be in the subnet of ****:****:****:84C0::/64 and the GUI defaults back to the previous address.” (actual numbers replaced by * for security reasons). I tried pinging that address from outside and it seemed to be working and to be actually referring to my router itself.
    • Prefix Length (IPV6) – a non-editable textbox with “64”.
    • Link Local Address (IPV6) – a non editable textbox (I wonder why!) with FE80::5EE3:EFF:FE07:504D, which I imagine would be the equivalent of setting my router as “192.168.0.1” but for the fact that I cannot change that damn IPv6.

On the other hand, when I browse a “what is my IPv6” service with my Windows PC (which is connected to the same router), I get a different IPv6 (but apparently from the same subnet), which made me wonder what kind of sorcery was that (I was expecting the same IPv6 as my router).

Anyhow, even though I set up my router to update the IPv6 address with moo.com, I still cannot for the life of me detect any open ports from my PI server from outside. Port Forwarding configuration on the router seems fine, although it only works with IPv4 numbers. I also opened all the corresponding ports on OMV firewall (I can see the ports are open when I scan them from inside the network).

So, as you can see, I am as confused as a frog in the desert. I don’t know which IPv6 I have to setup in my router (if any), nor if the number which is already there is persistent or not (or if it should be, considering that apparently IPv6 has so many possible address that ISPs shouldn’t bother not giving clients a dedicated IPv6). I don’t know if my PI server would have to broadcast its own IPv6 to a dnds service, and if so, how would that work with my router Port Forward services (that work only with IPv4 addresses).

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you,

• Don't use IPV6 on my side.

When enable on my router ( from my isp ) and enable on omv, i had strange cifs behaviors. After deseabling, i run fine.

sorry, can't help

• OK now I know that the problem is related to the fact that my ISP has implemented CGNAT, so no way I will be able to have an inbound connection unless the ISP switches my account to a private IP.
    Therefore, is there a way to overcome this using IPv6? If so, how?

I also checked my rounter client list and noticed that every device connected to it (my PC, my phone, my tablet) has both a public and a private ipv6, but my OMV Rapsberry Pi is the only device with only a private IPv6 (FE80::BA27:EBFF:FE15:2C08). Under Networking/Interfaces in OMV I setup IPV6 as DHCP, dunno if that is the way to go.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!