Power button operation OMV 4 on Libre Renegade ROC-RK3328-CC

• Hi, I'm having a problem with my new NAS build. I've never used a renegade before, so I'm not sure how the power button works. The model is ROC-RK3328-CC "Renegade." I'm running the OMV_4_Renegade.img.xz image on microSD. The power button doesn't work to power on or power off the renegade. In openmediavault, under power management, I've changed the "what happens when power button is pressed" option to "shutdown." I'm not sure if this is a renegade issue or OMV bug, so I'm posting both places. I haven't tried any other images, but I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu on a different microSD to see if the power button works for that.

I have run OMV on an RPI before and I did some reading here before attempting to run on a renegade. I did some reading here before attempting to build this project and I found that tkaiser had referred to PMIC as a necessity for true power buttons and I believe that according to the schematics, the renegade does have PMIC. I should mention that the board has a physical power button on it, that's the one I'm referring to. There are is also a place on the board for a header for pwr on and pwr enable. i haven't tried to do anything with that yet.

Other than that, everything else operates flawlessly. NAS operation on this board is lightning quick.

• I'm not sure how the power button works

Me neither. Never tried it. The first SBC where a power button worked as expected is on my NanoPC T4. I've tried probably 50 different SBC in the meantime and power button nowhere worked as expected. So this came as a shock to me since I thought the T4 is dead in the beginning. Took me some time to realize that I need to press the button for a second (FriendlyELEC use a separate micro controller on their newest SBC to provide this functionality since they got tired of dealing with PMICs that only work flawlessly in Android).

TL;DR: Please do not expect power buttons on ARM boards to work as 'expected'. Usually the functionality is only there with Android and this works as follows: the power button is not a power button but just some GPIO. When you tell Android to shut down it reboots in fact and enters a low-power mode. And when you press the button the board resumes from deep sleep and 'boots' (in reality boot was interrupted in the bootloader to wait for a GPIO change)

The best way to deal with power buttons on ARM boards running Linux is to ignore them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!