Newbie - OMV -NextCloud - as a NAS and backup solution...

• Can you build a OMV/NAS to run offsite automatically to backup your home OMV/NAS via the internet?

I have been looking a NAS device for the past few weeks and came across the Synology DS218J (2 bay basic with RAID 1) device... It retails in Canada for about $220. Then I stumbled on FreeNAS on the web, and then OMV and Nextcloud...

My current NAS is slow and full. It is a Dlink DNS-323 with 2 1TB drives in a combo of JBOD and RAID 1 partitions... I have not looked recently, but there may be 50-100gb of photos/videos on there - the baby/toddler stuff... 1-2gb of old documents... and a bunch of old movies...

The DNS 323 is slow - it maxes out under 20MB/sec when i check... It I think was from around 2007, but AFAIK, all my data is still there, I have some data backups on DVD-R, but not sure if they will still work.

Streaming my movie collection isn't that important to me as we have Netflix/ Amazon Video/ Cable TV. I have next to no bought music now (other than about 100 lbs of CD's) as we are happy with the Family Spotify subscription. I torrent a few times a year.

Our current data creation is not extensive and summed up below:
    - taxes (1 excel/open office file per year, and the 1 TurboTax file per year, 2 PDF files of our 'paper tax return'); we have a rental income property, but keep paper copies of the receipts/expenses etc
    - photos and videos from 4 smartphones (guessing 15-100gb/yr - both kids and wife got new smartphones for xmas - so this may go up)
    - vacation photos from a 'real' DSLR camera (< 20gb/yr)
    - very little school work from the kids. They are in Grade 8 and 10, but the school board uses Google Drive ecosystem for the homework/projects.

I have some old hardware that I'd like to recycle. Rooting through our basement, I found an old HP Pavilion desktop a6137c running a Core 2 Duo E4x00 processor, and 2-4gb of RAM (Can't remember and it's covered in dust).. It has 4 SATA I ports on the Mobo (P5LP-LE), some USB 2.0 ports, the Ethernet port is only 100Mbps - no USB 3.0, no Gigabit Lan... I can upgrade to 1000Mbps LAN by adding a PCI card for about $25cdn.

I have two 4TB WD Red NAS drives (SATA III?)on the way from Amazon.

I will have to explore if this mobo BIOS will allow booting form a USB drive, if not, learn about PLoP and try that?

This is what I envision I want to run the two 4TB drives in RAID 1 again for some redundancy. I might need to use the legacy HDD to hold the OMV OS if I follow through with this build.

On the RAID 1 (4TB array)

Create a Folder for Data, and subfolders for Photos/Videos, and one for Documents.
    Create a Folder for Torrents and put the movies in there.

I want the 4 family phones (2 Android - Samsung S8, and 2 iphones (7 and 8) to sync their videos and photos to the NAS automatically when on home wifi. My 15 year old daughter's iphone 7 has only 32gb of storage, so she may need to clear space on the phone sooner than the other members of the family)

I want the data folder to automatically backup to an attached USB drive ( sucks that it will only be a USB2.0 port) I believe this is something RSYNC can do. USB3.0 is cost prohibitive to do a PCI upgrade ($90 is what it looks to cost)

Plans for offsite backup.

- build another OMV/NAS and have regular automatic -( twice weekly?) at 2am of the data files? I can either have this at my parent's place (they have unlimitted internet) or at our tenant's place (we as the landlords pay for their internet and utilities) I can build a secure enclosure for it to prevent physical tampering.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!