Access server files from anywhere???

• Hey guys,
    I'm new to this whole OMV/server thing and don't know any networking jargon so please go easy.

I have OMV running on an old HP DV-9000 series laptop and I'm working from a late 2011 MacBook Pro i5.
    Ran through a couple tests on a 4GB flash drive to learn my way around and make sure everything was going to work how I needed it to.

The setup is basically just for backing up using Time Machine. Keeping family pictures and photography for design work in a safe place etc. I am also a graphic designer, so I would like to have a place to store and work from without keeping files on my personal computer. And the ability to always be allowed to add storage without upgrading HDD's in my computer is attractive. And as always I can share files over multiple computers when the time comes is nice.

This is where I my noobness comes in. I want to access the server in my finder just like I would at home, and do it from anywhere, whether it be a Starbucks, clients office, school etc. I have absolutely no idea where to begin. I keep reading about SSH tunneling, but have no clue if this is what I need to do or if this is what I'm looking for.

If you guys could help as far as steps to take, or any tutorials that really dumb the process down I would appreciate it. Thanks.

• 1st, the flash drive is a bad idea. People have been having lots of problems with them. Go with a small Black Western Digital laptop, or small Crucial or Intel SSD, as the system drive.

You are looking for Open VPN to use with sever, or Hamachi if you have an idle Windows/Linux machine at home. These would let you hookup to your home network and use the services provided by the server as if you were on your home network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!