[SOLVED] backup windows network

• Hi all,

I have OMV 0.4.5 up and running, and I am so far impressed. I'm looking for a replacement for my WHS v1 setup, which is functionally superb but isn't particularly reliable, and OMV is almost there.

The major reason I still use WHS is the unattended daily incremental backup/imaging of every machine on the network, with the possibility for bare-metal restore in the event of a workstation crash. This has saved my ass a number of times. I have been looking at Bacula and wondering if it is the best Linux-based replacement to run on OMV, though it looks complicated to set up.

Has anyone used Bacula or an equivalent to set up WHS-like unattended nightly imaging and bare-metal restore for their windows network to OMV? If so, could you share your experience?

Thank you

• I've used Bacula and it is a pain. For windows machines I use Acronis. You can backup manually or schedule incremental/full backups to a samba share. You can use CRON jobs on OMV to execute a wol script at a specified time before scheduled backups are to begin and have the job setup in Acronis shut the machine off when done. Norton Ghost is probably as good as Acronis but I have not used it in a long time.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

• Thanks. Is there a concern about Acronis's proprietary backup format? Does the client software install any bloatware? It does look like a good option, though I'll have to be a bit more selective about which machines are imaged at $30 per pc.

• It makes a complete image of the drive. Very easy to restore and works great. I've used it for over 10 yrs. No bloatware. Some ppl are not completely happy with GUI interface but once you understand it it's the best in my opinion for ntfs drives. They sell it in family packs for three PC's and you can get it on sale for good prices from time to time. They have a trial version. You can download it and try before you buy. Test it and see if you like it.

PS- when you image a whole drive you have to switch it to disk mode. It is kinda weird in the interface but ez once you've set it up a couple of times.

• Thanks again, I got a family pack (3 machines) and it seems to be working OK. Need to test a bare metal restore at some point.

I have had a couple of lockups when multiple machines are running backup verifies at the same time - still trying to figure out if this is an Acronis problem or a Samba thing.

Thanks for the advice.

• Could be samba/nic issue. I put Intel nics in my machines. I'm done with Realtek. Just not reliable enough for me. On one machine if my laptop would temporaliy lose wifi, and I mean only like a second, the server would lock up. The other machine had random lockup with samba transfer and I got sick of it. After Intel nics in both not 1 issue since. They've been solid as a rock.

PS- Since new nics I've never had an issue doing backups with Acronis. I don't think I ever did even before nic changes. I was having trouble on the 2nd computer transferring big files, movies, to the samba shares.

• True dat. I'm using the onboard Gigabyte mobo NIC (most likely Realtek chip) on that machine, but a PCI Intel NIC on the other. Never had a lockup with the Intel machine, though I haven't done any backups to that one either. Will experiment tonight.

*edit* come to think of it, the onboard nic machine occasionally drops PuTTY sessions too, not seen that on the Intel nic box.

• Switch to Intel PCIe nics completely solved my stability issues.

To be fair, I'd used that onboard Realtek nic for years on my windows gaming machine and never had a problem. I'm guessing it's more a driver issue than the hardware, but the end result is the same. Always Intel nics now on Linux.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!