Synchronize an external drive connected to USB3 port of the router and NAS - Part II - Summary

• Note: This issue was resolved due to the fantastic support of OpenMediaVault staff. I would also praise the OpenMediaVault developers, the fantastic OS for NAS that have developed over time. To end a word of gratitude to the Tekkb moderator whose persistence was due to this problem (small for some but too big for me). Thank you OMV Staff, thank you Tekkb!

Having said that I will go to the question I posted in: synchronize the external drive connected to the router's USB port to the NAS

AS you can see in that, I have an external drive connected to my router on port USB3, and I have a NAS built on new hardware and with OpenMediaVault. The NAS has two disks in EXT4 (No Raid).

I wanted the External Disk contents were updated on the NAS, that is, I meant to synchronize the external drive as source and the NAS as a Destination (not worth discussing why and whether it is consistent or not. My system is so!) .
    Solving the problem was not made by the following order but, in my opinion, should be the following order:

1 - External Disk and NAS Disk content:
    1.1 - External Disk is NTFS;
    1.2 - NAS Disk is EXT4;
    1.3 - Both discs have the same structure as the figure:

1.4 - Authentication is required (login & password) to access the Disk External;
    1.5 - The NAS users access only and only for their individual folder and Multimedia folder obviously through the respective credentials defined in OMV. The administrator has full access.

2 - I have to create a new folder to make a connection to the external disk that will be done with the RemoteShare plugin. This plugin will "bind" the NAS to external disk, and put "a picture" of the exact content in that folder;
    2.1 - In my case, I had to create a new shared folder on the OMV console that I called DiscoExterno and I don’t define privileges.

2.2 -After I test (set up the necessary and synchronized), I concluded that there was an inconsistency in the NAS disk structure. I needed to restructure the NAS Disk.

3 - What was the problem?
    3.1 - As you can see in the figure above, all folders are created in the root disks in the NAS and in the External Disk;
    3.2 - And the content of external disk "will be placed" (it's just a link) in the NAS DiscoExterno folder;
    3.3 - Synchronization is made of DiscoExterno source to ... where?
    3.3.1 - If I set as a Target the root of Disk1, synchronization will "copy / change" the contents of all root folders. In this case also it changed the DiscoExterno folder (by the way did not change but gave error because there was a redundancy);
    3.3.2 - If I set as a Destination one of the other folders (eg AndreCrispim) the contents of the external drive will be fully copied for that folder.

4 - My solution (there are certainly other but this was what I found most consistent)As the NAS disk had 1TB of data and although I had extra security, I did not want to format the drive and then having to copy everything. OpenMediaVault is really a very versatile system to change folder structures. Like this:
    4.1 - I created a folder in the root to which I called Disco1;
    4.2 – I changed the way folders from users, placing them depending on the Disco1 folder
    4.3 - The DiscoExterno folder was kept in the root of Disk1.

4.4 - So, if I set as the "Source" the DiscoExterno folder and as the “Destination” the Disco1 folder, synchronization will occur smoothly. This structure has the advantage that there is no risk of "mixing" "our" files/folders, with Files/Folders of the system that are at the root disk.

5 - From this moment it is easy to synchronize different folders. To synchronize these devices I needed to use the following services:
    5.1 – RemoteShares – Install Plugin (Plugins/Section Filesystems) - to mount the Samba share via the router;

5.2 – Rsync – it is installed (in OMV console in Services Tab) - Service to create synchronization.

6 - RemoteShares Setup:

Select RemoteShares service and in the window put the following:
    6.1 - 1 & 2 - Samba / Add;
    6.2 - Select Enable;
    6.3 - Server - put the Router IP;
    6.4 - Share Name - put the name of the share of external disk in network (in my case is: 2TB-External – see Picture below 1.3 point);
    6.5 - Share Folder - select the destination folder synchronization (in my case is DiscoExterno);
    6.6 - User Name / Password or Guest - Put the credentials to access the external disk (user name & password). If not necessary credentials for access, select Guest;
    6.7 - And you're done. Samba share is mounted.

7 - The next step is to define the source and destination folders for synchronization.

7.1 – In Services select Rsync;
    7.2 – In the Window select the tab Jobs and select Add;
    7.3 – Put the button Enable;
    7.4 – Type - Local;
    7.5 –Source Shared Folder - select the previously defined folder (in my case DiscoExterno folder - defined in 2.1), ie folder where it was mounted samba sharing;
    7.6 – Destination Shared folder - Select the destination folder (no meu caso Disco1);
    7.7 – Minute - Set which the period of time in which synchronization is made - in the above Synchronization occurs every half hour;
    7.8 – Select Save and Apply. It only remains to connect the server.

7.9 – Select the Server tab. Turn on the server, select save and apply. No need to open the port 873 on your router.
    And you're done. It was easy after the great help of OMV staff.Comments are welcome. I hope it's useful to someone.
    Greetings to all
    José Crispim

The problem in today's world is that the intelligent are full of doubt and some idiots are full of certainties. The intelligent are called undecided the idiots are called experts

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jjrcrispim ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!