Sanity check please

• Post by @Cosmo
    Hi All,
    I was wondering If I could bounce a plan off you all for a sanity check b/f launching into a project that won't work.
    I currently have 2 NAS solutions 1) ReadyNAS NV+ 4x1TB Raid5 2) WHS 2011 running on PC w/ SansDigital 8-bay TowerRaid running in JBOD config (~8TB).

Problem: WHS is end-of-life and PLEX cannot be upgraded on that OS, Roku wants 9.11 Plex and I can't do that w/ the WHS build I have.

I was considering getting a new QNAP rig but it's pricey.
    I was gifted an HP Storage Works x510 box w/ WHS on it.

Plan: Re-purpose x510 and run OMV or FreeNAS. Migrate data off WHS and ultimately connect TowerRaid chassis to x510.
    That would allow me to rebuild WHS PC to Win10 box and run Plex Server, Roon Server (music)... All connecting to x510 and or ReadyNAS.

The x510 is 64bit intel pentium (dual core) w/ 2GB RAM. FreeNAS prefers 8GB RAM to run ZFS. I was hoping for more flexibility w/ OMV. Any transcoding... would be done on media server PC, not NAS.

Q1: Does this plan make sense? What else should I consider?
    Q2: I can't find a reasonable tutorial on replacing WHS on the x510 w/ OMV or FreeNAS. It's a headless device so it's a little more challenging.
    Q3: Can I run a flavor of OMV to utilize the eSata 8-bay chassis, in sort of JBOD fashion, connected to the x510 to reuse my heterogeneous collection of disks I already have?

Thanks in advance for your insight on this project.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!