New OMV user looking for advice on meeting requirements

• I'm looking for your hardware and software advice for my OMV setup. I'm new to linux, but have been testing OMVfor a month or so and have decided to move forward with it. 1) please suggest software that works withOMV for each need. 2) any concerns of the hardware specs to meet my needs. I'm moving away from a NetGear ReadyNAS RN104which is just doing the file sharing and backups. That was my introduction. Now I want to build something more powerfuland customizable.
    Hereare the requirements:

• Shared storage of multiple disks to share on network which is primarily windows. Bonus if part of the array can be shared through the cloud. Bonus if drives of different sizes can be added to the array, such as drobo does.
    • Be able to control backups of the shared storage to external USB.
    • Bonus is to have snapshots for the NAS data.
    • Be able to control backups of windows shares on remote windows machines to the external USB of NAS.
    • Run a PLEX server (already doing)
    • Run a surveillance server for 3 to 4 ip cameras on the network. Currently using ispy on windows.
    • Torrent using qbittorrent behind Private Internet Access (PIA VPN). May need to do in a virtual box?
    • Would like to do some link aggregation. Don't have LACP on my switch, so something like adaptive load balancing.

Hardware:

• I5 cpu
    • 8 GB ram (possibly 16 if recommended)
    • 120 GB SSD
    • Three 3 TB spinning hard disks
    • 2 Network ports
    • 1 gbs network with AC wireless router

I'm looking forward to taking this fun project to the next level. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

• 1. Sharing storage is pretty much basic functionality for any NAS. For web-based cloud access, you would need Nextcloud. Mixing drives depends on how you set up your storage.
    2. You would need the USB backup plugin.
    3. What do you mean by snapshots ?
    4. Why not.
    5. Sure.
    6. No plugins for that. I suggest installing a VM or Docker with MotionEye.
    7. I would isolate that in a docker or a VM. There is a Transmission+OpenVPN docker image for exactly that.
    8. No idea.

• Thanks for the reply. Lots of good information to keep me moving forward. Here are some clarifications to my questions based on your responses

1) By part of the array being shared through the cloud is that I could create a share on the nas and have that share available on the internet (without a vpn). Accessing that share would be done through a webpage hosted by the nas. The drobo functionality as i understand it is that you can have different sized disks in a raid 5 array and it can take advantage of all the space on all the drives, rather than being limited to use the size of the smallest drive.

3) Snapshots take a "picture" of the drives contents every hour, day (however you set it up). It is not really a backup (because the data changes are stored on the same drive), but it can help you recover a file if you have accidentally deleted it. Basically your drive can be set to look like it did when the snapshot was taken. BTRFS supports snapshots and that is what the readynas uses. Not sure if BTRFS with snapshots is available or widely supported for OMV. Or if there is a preferred filesystem that offers snapshots on OMV. As I understand it EXT4 does not offer snapshot capability.

7) is there a one that supports qbittorrent? I'm familiar with that one and it offers all the capabilities i need. If qbittorrent can't be done, I'll learn transmission.

eight) Link aggregation allows you to use 2 network cards with 2 cables connected to your switch. It can help for redundancy if one link goes down; or throughput if more than one user are accessing the nas at the same time.

Thanks for all the help. I hope my explanations make things clearer.

• 1) Web-based cloud access would be covered by NextCloud. The unified storage requirement would require mergerfs (the omv-unionfilesystems plugin). This allows you pool all your drives into a single file system regardless of the size of your drives. There is no redundancy though. People often combine it with SnapRAID, which is a good parity-based RAID/backup hybrid for media files. However, don't be fixated on RAID. Most home users don't need high availability, they need backup, which can be as simple as setting up an rsync or rsnapshot job.
    3) BTRFS is not supported on OMV. Again, SnapRAID might fill your requirement here. Or rsnapshot.

7) I don't know of any. You can certainly set up qbittorrent and openvpn in a VM if that's what you want.

8) That sounds more like a networking feature of your hardware than something specific to OMV. Software-wise, under the covers, OMV is Debian Jessie, so anything that can be done in Linux can be done in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!