Proxmox OpenVZ OMV ZFS Plex

• I've been reading about Proxmox and it appears much better then I imagined. Is anyone using a OpenVZ OMV vm with Plex installed? I see that with OpenVZ you do not have to passthru hardware. There is a memory leak issue with OMV and Plex on ESXi and I was wondering if Plex works correctly in an OpenVZ vm. Also, are you using ZFS with Proxmox? What are your opinions on Proxmox? Pros vs. Cons?

• I wouldn't touch OpenVZ with a ten foot pole, personally. Some folks say, "No kernel? No problem?", but I say, "No Brain no pain". I've seen a lot of file descriptor problems with OpenVZ, and more than my share of support tickets from customers with complaints about how we compiled kernels because firewalls couldn't load necessary modules for what they were doing, or worse, the inability to compile their own packages w/o continually asking about how a kernel was compiled.

We just don't do it anymore, sometimes, like with OpenVZ, you just aren't smart enough to know that you're actually stupid. I like to use that comparison because OpenVZ really doesn't know the difference. Sure, a DNS server? Some other uses? Yes it's economical. But I like my boxes to have brains.

Interesting observation about the memory leak under VMware though. I'll look into that :)

Kindest regards,

Bradley D. Thornton
    Manager Network Services
    NorthTech Computer
    http://NorthTech.US
    TEL: +1.760.666.2703 (US)
    TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)

Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!