OpenVPN Access Server

• I've been trying to get my OpenVPN setup through the available plugin from omv-plugins.org using the various topics on this forum. But it gave me major headaches as it allowed me to connect but I wasn't able to get any kind of traffic, local network or internet. However, when I install OpenVPN-AS I can connect without any issues and traffic is not a problem either.

Question 1: I only use the vpn myself so am not bothered by the 2 clients limit. But if anyone can tell me why I should use regular openvpn instead of access server then please tell, any obvious disadvantages?

Question 2: The webGUI of OMV complains about an unsupported network interface (see message below) and therefor displays an empty list on the network interfaces screen. Any ideas how this could be solved, is there anything I have to configure in /etc/network/interfaces? (contents are below)
    Error #4001:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Unsupported network interface detected (name=as0t0)' in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/network.inc:310
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: NetworkRpc->enumerateDevicesList(Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(265): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(98): OMVRpc::exec('Network', 'enumerateDevice...', Array)
    #3 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(44): OMVJsonRpcServer->handle()
    #4 {main}

Current content of /etc/network/interfaces
    # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Any advice would be appreciated, kind of a linux freshman here. Have worked with it a little before, but maintaining a machine is not the same as "working in a linux environment".

• I could help you with the plugin if you wanted to try that route again. I don't have time to problem solve the access server version, I read your issue with nics. To much going on with plugins currently. I think the biggest advantage of the plugin is setting it all up in the web-gui of OMV. There is a screen to seen connected clients too. It's nice.

You saw this in the "How To's" section, yes?

http://forums.openmediavault.o…c.php?f=13&t=406&start=10

• The normal OpenVPN server is pretty easy to setup minus the plugin as well. At least it is for me. I haven't looked at the access server. I've read that PPTP is less secure then OpenVPN. Have you ever seen anything negative on PPTP subzeroin?

• For me it's more that I don't like to install an external program for such things, I like to have it integrated. I'm no expert but IIRC the encryption of PPTP is cracked and is less secure than OpenVPN. You could reach the data over wifi at least. But I guess it all depends on what you use it for. I mostly use VPN for playing old games that don't have any master-servers up anymore, or sharing local content with others, nothing that I really need to keep secure. I've been trying to get L2TP/IPSEC going, but haven't got anywhere with it yet. I'd like to be able to authenticate with the users already in OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!