3,5" HDD don't have power (seems)

• Hi guys,

I'm new to this and don't know why my HDD doesn't show in Storage> Physical Disks area.
    I've connected the 3,5" HDD by a powered adapter (2A 12V) to the USB3 port.
    The intent is to use this as a NAS and I stoped the installation because I can't manage to see or add the drive in my web interface of OMV
    What is the way to go ?
    Tks :)

Notes:
    What I'm working with (all new):
    - Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)
    - 64gb microSD Sandisk Extreme Pro
    - HDD 3,5" WD Red Pro 2TB (WD2002FFSX)
    - USB3-Sata with Power adapter (Ewent EW7018)

I installed the latest version of OMV in the link ISO> Raspberry Pi images> OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz
    Burn in Etcher for Windows 10
    I run Update manager - check (all)> Upgrade

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've connected the 3,5" HDD by a powered adapter (2A 12V) to the USB3 port.

Have you tried your adapter, power supply and hard drive with another PC? Maybe a Windows PC or a Laptop?
    You wouldn't have to format it - just see if it shows up.

• Have you tried your adapter, power supply and hard drive with another PC? Maybe a Windows PC or a Laptop?You wouldn't have to format it - just see if it shows up.

I've tried with my laptop now in the usb3 port.
    Same result, stop spining in the begining of conection and don't show up.
    Is lack of power? The adaptor is rated for 12V 2A and the HDD shouldn't need so much.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There should be two voltages 5V and 12V. If the power supply is for 12V only, I'm guessing your adapter is passing 5V through from the USB interface.

Is lack of power? The adaptor is rated for 12V 2A and the HDD shouldn't need so much.

12V @ 2A is enough, even for start up current surge, but that's not really the question. If the setup won't work with either the R-PI4 or the Laptop, something is wrong with the adapter or the hard drive. There's no way to know for sure which one it is, but at least you know it's not the R-PI4. (If I were to take a guess, I'd suspect the adapter is at fault. Hard drives are tested before they ship.)

To eliminate the hard drive as a problem, if you have a SATA cable you could test it in a PC. (Most PC's have at least one free power connector.) You wouldn't have to actually install it, just hang it out the side or set it on top of the case for a test. Boot up and see if it shows up.

If you have a multimeter, you could test the power supply but voltage checks without a load are not accurate. If the hard drive works in a PC, I would return the adapter.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!