installation OpenMediavault on the CF card. Voyage linux

• Zitat von "el_viejo"

another thing i found out today is that after boot the file system is not getting remounted r/o. it stays r/w and i have to access the system via ssh manually calling remountro. i followed all steps of the given howto in this thread but it seems something prevents execution of restart_anacron during boot up or something prevents the remountro command at boot time. still have to find out what it is.

I had the same problem, but as I wrote earlier in this post you can solve it by doing this:

Now it starts, but Voyage linux will not start in read-only mode because "mount is busy" and therefore operates in read-write mode - which is not what we want, because it will tear down the CF-card very rapidly.
    It turned out that we need to stop the anachron service, then go into read-only mode, and then restart the anachron service.
    Therefore I made a script that stops anachron at startup, go into read-only mode and restarts anachron:

You need to make this file: "etc/init.d/restart_anacron"

The content of this file is:
    #!/bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: restart anacron
    # Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog $time
    # Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog $time
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
    # Short-Description: Stops and Restarts anac(h)ronistic cron
    ### END INIT INFO
    # /etc/init.d/anacron: start anacron
    #

echo "Stop anacron and then sleep 2"
    /etc/init.d/anacron stop
    sleep 2
    echo "try to remount as read only"
    /usr/local/sbin/remountro
    sleep 2
    echo "Start anacron again"
    sleep 2
    /etc/init.d/anacron start

Then
    update-rc.d restart_anacron defaults

Cheers
    Steen

• hi steen,

thanks for the hint. that is exactly what i did but it seems the script is not running at boot up or something else prevents remount r/o.

greetings

peter

hardware
    intel-board D945GCLF2, 2gb ram
    1 pci 3-port sata-controler
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• Hi

It seems like I have the same problem..
    The script "etc/init.d/restart_anacron" needs to be modified a bit so that it also kills DHClient, but now it is working

#!/bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides: restart anacron
    # Required-Start: $remote_fs $syslog $time
    # Required-Stop: $remote_fs $syslog $time
    # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
    # Short-Description: Stops and Restarts anac(h)ronistic cron
    ### END INIT INFO
    # /etc/init.d/anacron: start anacron
    #

echo "Stop anacron and then sleep 2"
    /etc/init.d/anacron stop
    sleep 2
    echo "Kill DHCLIENT"
    killall -9 dhclient
    sleep 2
    echo "try to remount as read only"
    /usr/local/sbin/remountro
    sleep 2
    echo "Start anacron again"
    sleep 2
    /etc/init.d/anacron start

In order to be able to make the script I needed to:

Kill the anacron process, then rename the original "etc/init.d/anacron" to anything like "SBPanacron" and I had to change the permissions so that it can be execused, because otherwise I couldn't do: update-rc.d restart_anacron defaults

When you have done this you rename "SBPanacron" to "anacron" again and you revert the permission changes you just made, so that it can be executed again. After a reboot Voyage start up in Read only mode (and OMV is fully functional).

• I'm running this script as it is necessary to stop the more processes that run with root. :D

instead plug made crutch :lol: . Team remountro and remountrw added jobs in cron, without running. as in the photo.

• arturmon you made my day with your clue to set remountro and remountrw as cron jobs without scheduling it. that's an awesome solution and now there is no longer need for a plugin. my happiness just gets a little reduced by process called kworker which puts permanently 100% cpu load on one cpu core. i have tried out to do the following steps taken from post #63 of this bugreport thread (you have to scroll down a lot to find the post):

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/887793

it says:

Code
    Putting the following line into /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf helped for me:

options drm_kms_helper poll=N

after rebooting the machine it seems that kworker does no longer consume 100% it is more around 0-2%. i am going to monitor this behavior and will report here if something happens.

greetings

peter

ps: thank you guys of this thread who pointed me in the right direction to run omv on voyage linux and of course special thanks to volker for his great work.

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• bad news. it seems the workaround mentionend one post above is not really solving the problem. i have switched off the server last night and this morning i started it again and there we are: kworker with 100% cpu load on one core. well, it seems that at least a reboot resolves the problem...

still investigating...

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• still no good news about the kworker 100% cpu load problem. what i can confirm so far is:

kworker only behaves bad after a cold boot. the first few minutes after a cold boot kworker is doing fine but suddenly it starts eating cpu load from about 1-2% minute by minute it continues increasing until it reaches 99-100% and there it stays.

workaround is: causing a soft boot from the webgui of omv or doing another cold boot.

another issue i have (and for the moment i can't narrow it down whether it's because of omv or because of voyage linux): in the past i was able to start my server by sending the magic packet called wol or wake-on-lan. the mainboard itself is capable to do it and it worked pretty realiable in the past. after switching to voyage linux and omv 0.3.x i am no longer able to use wake-on-lan. the server just does not start even in the webgui wake-on-lan is enabled. i have no idea where to investigate.

maybe someone of you guys using voyage linux and omv 0.3.x can tell me about your experience. probably you have wake-on-lan working or you can confirm it does not work for you neither.

the thing is there is not too much information about voyage linux available it seems it has a pretty small web community. anyway i am happy using it and by this way saving the life of my flash memories :)

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• since i have upgraded from omnius to fedaykin it seems the script restart_anacron is not getting executed during boot. the root file system is always mounted rw right after boot and the command remountro results in a "mount / : busy". a workaround is execute /etc/init.d/restart_anacron manually after boot. both ways (starting it from the cron job menu of omv or by ssh) are working. after terminating the script the file system is mounted ro and i can do remountrw and remountro as often as i like without the mount busy error message.

but how can i make the machine executing /etc/init.d/restart_anacron at boot time? i tried the command update-rc.d restart_anacron defaults which gives me this message:

update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing

but it does not change anything. after next reboot file system still stays mounted rw. any clue is apreciated. by the way everything else works really smooth under this configuration: voyage linux 0.8.5 and omv 0.4.4.1. and as always: lots of thanks to volker for his great work and those who are in charge for the plugins.

regards

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• and by the way: the problem that kworker is causing 100% cpu load at cold boot seems to be fixed too. all i did is add the parameter acpi=noirq to the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. an update-grub brought an error message that there is no default boot entry selected so i did grub-set-default 0 and again update-grub and then a reboot.

voilá kworker is behaving like it is supposed to be.

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• i am very sorry for having to take back my prior statement about having solved the kworker issue. i switched off the server last night and turned it on today in the afternoon and after that cold boot kworker was back again occupying one of the two cpu cores by 100% load... grrrrrr...

anyway, i keep investigating the problem and let you know.

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• finally i found the solution and it seems it is caused by faulty acpi settings in my motherboards bios. thanks to this post:

https://plus.google.com/111861…5878613/posts/ad7F85TQwQL

i was lead to this thread:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=689848#c17

in the bios setup i change fan speed settings from auto to 50% and switched off over night my server. 12 hours later doing a cold boot it seems that finally finally kworker doesn't cause trouble any more :)

so all users of the Intel D945GCLF2 board should be aware if there is trouble with kworker causing 100% cpu load on one processor core after a cold boot.

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

• Hi

problem with
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; sudo update-rc.d 'nfs-kernel-server' enable 2>&1': update-rc.d: error: no runlevel symlinks to modify, aborting! update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing

try to use this command
    root@voyage# apt-get install --reinstall nfs-kernel-server
    in my case it's help to finish problem
    version 64 , Voyage 0.8.5 released
    root@voyage:~# uname -a
    Linux voyage 3.2.17-voyage #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 14 01:51:38 HKT 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Hi guys, thanks for the posts so far. I am also successfully running OMV on Debian based Voyage Linux with root system on a flash disk as read-only, but without any extra boot-script and scheduled commands.
    It works just as it would be a full install, no difference. Truly embedded solution. Using only 1GB disk, consuming only about 50% of it. Great.

Here's how I did.

Installed Voyage Linux as described in their documentation.

(optional step) In /etc/fstab I added these (in order to avoid useless packages cache to eat up disk space):

Code
    tmpfs    /var/cache/apt    tmpfs    defaults,noatime    0 0
    tmpfs    /var/lib/apt/lists    tmpfs    defaults,noatime    0 0

In /etc/apt/sources.list I added the repository:

Code
    deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main

Updated, Install edthe OpenMediaVault repository key and Postfix:

Code
    apt-get update
    apt-get install dialog
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix

When the 'Postfix Configuration' dialogue is displayed choose "No configuration"

Installed OMV

Code
    apt-get install locales    
    apt-get install openmediavault

When the 'Configuring mdadm' dialogue is displayed enter "none".
    Do you want to start MD arrays automatically? "YES"
    When the 'ProFTPD configuration' dialogue is displayed choose "standalone".

Unfortunately I run into trouble with nfs-kernel-server so the install didn't finish correctly.
    Fixing was this:

Code
    apt-get remove --purge nfs-common
    apt-get install nfs-common nfs-kernel-server
    apt-get install openmediavault

And at the end:

Code
    omv-initsystem
    reboot

While in RW mode, move the file /etc/anacrontab to a temporary location, crate a new empty directory /etc/anacrontab/, and move the anacrontab file inside. So the path to the file will be /etc/anacrontab/anacrontab.
    This is needed in order to be able to set it as a writable synced directory in voyage-util (see later).
    To cope with this new path, just modify anacron's startup file: /etc/init.d/anacron, look at the start section:

Code
    start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/sbin/anacron -- -s -t /etc/anacrontab/anacrontab

You neeed to modify: /etc/default/voyage-util with these paths:

Code
    VOYAGE_SYNC_DIRS="etc/openmediavault etc/samba var/spool/anacron etc/anacrontab var/lib"

This way, no need to forcefully remountro with killed anacron anymore. The dirs above will stay in RAM all the time as writable, their contents will be written to disk only when rebooting.

Also you need to modify: /usr/sbin/omv-mkconf in order to be able to make and apply system configurations from OMV's web interface. Change by the end of the file according to this:

Code
    # Execute the script.
    remountrw
    ${OMV_MKCONF_SCRIPTS_DIR}/${scriptname} mkconf "${extraparams}" 2>&1 && exit 0
    remountro
    exit $?

This way you can keep as RO the whole system all the time, it's going to be RW just for those couple of seconds while you click Apply.

• i am glad to confirm roberts walkthrough is still working with omv stoneburner and voyage linux 0.9.5. i tried it first with the most current voyage linux 0.10.0 but this gives a lot of dependency errors so i gave up finally and tried 0.9.5.

greetings

peter

hardware
    1 hdd 2tb wd20npvx-00e

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!