Quota limit reset/removal problem in GUI

• First post for newbie OMV fan.........

I recently installed OMV on a now headless machine, using a 10Gb USB stick for the system and 2 mechanical drives for data. All installed without much problem, and the GUI OMV management is made easier with added plugins like OMV extras, Flash Memory and Shell-in-a-Box. The data drives are quickly beginning to get populated! So far so good. I can see and access the folders/files perfectly from Windows with SMB/CIFS and on my TV using DNLA. Works a treat!

However.........I hit a problem the other day maybe worth sharing. During the initial configuration of the filing systems using OMV GUI, I set a Quota limit (to around 100Gb for me as a User) on one of the data drives. Shortly later I decided to remove the limit, again in the GUI. All seemed fine and this episode was forgotten.

A couple of weeks later as I was transferring files from Windows 10 to the OMV folders using SMB/CIFS service I got a warning in Windows along the lines of "your file needs 2Gb and there isn't enough space on the destination drive". I could see there was still about 400Gb of storage left so no issue there. Everything in the GUI configs looked OK, including the Quota panel.

After a few bum steers from Google searches, I eventually I lifted the lid using the very handy Shell In a Box as a root user, and found using the quota command that the file system limit I initially set had in fact not been removed. So I used the setquota command to reset it to zero, i.e. removing the limit. Bingo! Remaining files in Windows continued to transfer to the OMV data drives again without problem.

However it leaves the question - what happened? Has anybody else found that using the Quota settings in the GUI are not getting translated across properly to the system config settings?

fop

p.s. I hit separate issue in file transfers - a network issue using an Atheros Ethernet card - separate post

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!