Introduce Myself

• Hi all

I Just wanted to Introduce myself on the forum

I'm Mark from Gloucestershire England and I'm about to build my first OMV NAS

I will be posting in the appropriate parts of the forum as work progresses but I have one question initially that members might be able to answer

Is OMV O.K. on AMD processors I plan to use an AMD Phenom II X4 955 on an Asrock 970 Pro 3 R2.0 Mobo (simply because I have then doing nothing)

I ask because some NAS softwares do not recommend them does the same apply to OMV

Best Regards Mark

• Is OMV O.K. on AMD processors I plan to use an AMD Phenom II X4 955

Sure, if you need something to heat your room, why not?

Your Mobo uses an PCIe attached RTL8111E which has not the greatest reputation (I heard only later revisions starting from G or H would be OK) but honestly I don't know since in our big boxes we avoid RealTek NICs since ever and in small installations we moved away from heating devices to energy efficient ARM designs that will easily outperform your Mobo/CPU combination.

• Thanks for the Info

Yes I realise It's going to be a bit of a gas guzzler but the hardware is available almost new and unused at present. The Idea is it can grow with me and is likely to have many other things running besides just being a storage device

In fact somewhere between a NAS and a full blown Server.

One of my interests is audio/video recording and editing. As you know Video in particular simply eats storage space and network bandwidth especially low compression stuff. So this setup might not be too much overkill

I agree about the NIC and I am not likely to be using the onboard one apart from initial setting up perhaps but an out board one possibly an HP NC382T which uses a broadcom chip. probably with both ports in a LAG configuration to give a little more bandwidth

I will post in more appropriate parts of the forum as the build progresses

Best Regards Mark

• HP NC382T which uses a broadcom chip. probably with both ports in a LAG configuration to give a little more bandwidth

That's usually not what's happening with this topology: Bonded network problem - needs single connection to work?

And yes, 'Video in particular simply eats storage space and network bandwidth'. That's why those video installations all have at least 10GbE equipment. In some small installations we use 'IP over Thunderbolt' interconnecting a few Macs with a central MacPro with a TB connected RAID over simple Thunderbolt wiring.

• As most of my machines are Windows machines not MACs a Thunderbolt setup might not be possible although I believe it can now be done on Windows boxes.

It would be a cheaper solution but 10Gb NICs and cabling are nowhere near as expensive as they used to be so A full 10Gb network is a possibility in the future certainly something to think about

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!