Cloning/migrating from VM to physical server

• Hi,

I was thinking if there is any way (maybe tutorial) to the followings:

I have a gen 7 N54l HP micro server. OMV5 running more or less without major issues. I'm using it with sever dockers(plex, calbire, nextcloud, etc). I've made some errors in the bust which makes it slightly buggy but still can workaround them. I guess it would be possible to fix these but my linux knowledge is not to deep, even if i can google out everything it would take more time and effort then rebuilt within my current knowledge. However the server is in daily use, and i would not risk to struggle with reinstall also i'm not sure if i would have the time to reinstall everything and set everything up same day/week also i need to bring my server out wire it up with like 10m UTP cable wire everything up at a monitor stand then back that's already 1-1,5 hour as deep as it hidded. So getting to the point the following got into my mind:

create omv 5 in vm, attaching the same hdd names as i have in the physical machine, putting together the whole system including docker containers set up, remote acces etc then clone the whole thing and boot it on the physical one.

as system device i anyway using a 64 gb pendrive separated in 2 one for system one for appdata. i know its not the best but i have a clone of it every major change so if one dies i just shut down put the spare one in and go. (i have some unused pendrives) but i can use all the sata for data this way.

reason of this would be, i have my notebook with me all the time. if i have one hour i can work on omv setup, and in few weeks in these one hours i can put toghter the system i want. then just rip it run it once its clean.

Is it even possible to make OMV in VM then clone it and run in physical machine? or i would run into drive issues? or i might can set VM same as phisical?

is this even possible or due to attached storage i would run in to errors with the docker running on physical?

is there any meaning of it? i mean, it might possible but due to its complexity/lack of my knowledge it would burn more time then just do it on the original machine?

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!