Moving OMV 4.1.35 from USB to SSD: unable to boot after cloning

• Hi,

I'm Ranieri, from Italy, and that's maybe the second post on this foum. Let me now introduce my problem.;)

About 3-4 years ago I installed OMV 4.1.35 (Arrakis) on a USB 3.0 thumb drive (OMV fleshmemory 4.2.2 installed). The nas specs are:

• CPU and mobo: Intel Celeron J4105 on Asrock
    • RAM: 4gb ram single stick
    • PSU: Pico PSU 90W
    • 2x 3tb WD red + 1x 4tb WD red (for data)
    • 1x 120gb SSD (for plex database and other dockers)

When I installed the SSD (about -1-2 years ago) I tried to install OMV 5 in it, when it camed out, but I failed and I surrended to re-install on the USB because of my incapacity to make the SSD bootable and for some incompatibiles with the dockers and HW transcoding with Plex.

Now - i think - the USB is failing (I got random freezes within all the services like Nextcloud, Plex, Transmission, MC and eve web GUI). I think it's time to move the os on the SSD.:/

I created 4 partitions on the SSD: one for the data already in it and the others just to clone the 3 partitions of OMV (cloned with the dd command).

I flagged the partition cloned to boot but the drive isn't visible in the boot options of the MOBO.;(

In windows I would had done it in a blast, but with linux I have still a whole lot to understand.

May someone lay me a hand? Thanks for your time in advice

• Ranieri94, lets first check your method works, as USB drives are very very cheap can I suggest you first try your dd process to another USB stick first just to see if that boots? If so we know that dd process is good and copying everything needed.

If that is successful I would start from scratch with your SSD, back up the data partition so you can wipe it the whole SSD then retry your USB to SSD clone and re-test, If that works you can them re-create your data partition using Gparted or something like that and restore your data.

Not sure if that helps, but it' how I would approach the problem :)

• Update: I did it and successfully copied the USB from 32 gb to the other one (32gb too). Switched and booted like a charm, thanks!

Sooo... next I should backup all my data from ssd and use dd command to targhet the formatted and empty ssd? I'll give a try than. I'll update ASAP.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!