What does this message in syslog mean?

• I have OMV running beautifully on a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and after a re-boot, I noticed these entries in the syslog, but I have no idea what it means, nor what I need to do to fix it?

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting watchdog daemon...

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting Beep after system start...

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault sh[1072]: modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.97-v7l+

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: watchdog.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: watchdog.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Failed to start watchdog daemon.

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: watchdog.service: Triggering OnFailure= dependencies.

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting watchdog keepalive daemon...

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault sh[1076]: modprobe: FATAL: Module softdog not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.97-v7l+

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: wd_keepalive.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Nov 10 08:44:19 openmediavault systemd[1]: Failed to start watchdog keepalive daemon.

Any advice would be appreciated ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

It appears that the OS that I have installed (Raspberry Pi OS Lite) does not provide this mode.

This doesn't appear to be true. I have an R-PI4, recently rebuilt (a few weeks ago) with Raspberry Pi OS Lite where the watchdog timer was working as expected. As as an additional check, I just finished a rebuild using the latest August 20 image.

This is speculation but you might have minor file corruption. Generally speaking, a common problem with SBC's is the SD-card. It's best to start off with a new, high quality card such as SanDisk or Samsumg and test the card before using it. There are knock-off cards out there.
    When the install is complete and configured, clone the card. With the second copy, a side-by-side comparison would be possible. (But most would pop in the clone and call it done.)

If it was me, I'd be suspicious of the event and the card. Unfortunately, the easiest and fastest course of action may be to rebuild.

This guide applies to R-PI's -> R-PI build Includes testing SD-cards
    This guide has a section tiled OS backup, with a process for cloning SD cards -> User guide

• This is speculation but you might have minor file corruption.

I think that your speculation was spot-on ...

I am using top quality SanDisk SD cards that have been thoroughly verified as 100% good, so I did a complete rebuild as you suggested and the watchdog timer is now working just fine ... and I am on the latest versions of OMV and the OS.

I think that the corruption of the watchdog timer code may have been a result of some earlier upgrades that I did to old versions of both Raspberry Pi OS Lite and OMV.

Thanks for your advice ... ^^

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!